Best HD camera bang for the buck?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 15th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #1
New Boot

Best HD camera bang for the buck??

Hi everyone, and my apologies if this thread is in the wrong section, but..

I've just got some tax money back and have sold my old GL2 and a bunch of accessories.. I now have about $2500 to spend, and I want to get the best HD camera(s) I can for the loot. I plan to not only shoot short films and music videos, but also wedding videography and commercials.

I was almost entirely sold on a 5D mark II or possibly a 7D, but I came to the realization that those cameras, awesome as they are, aren't real great for weddings (the 12 minute video clips, possible overheating, zoom/focus would be trickier, would have to buy a separate audio recorder).

So I'm left with the option of camcorders. My idea was that for the money I have, I should be able to get a Panasonic HMC40 and potentially also a Panasonic HDC-HS300 as a second camera. I've been pouring over the specs and reviews for both cameras and feel I have a pretty decent understanding of their shortcomings (poor low light, etc) but that is where I'm at.

Would love to get a HMC150 for the controls as well as CCD over CMOS, but finding one for $2500 hasn't happened.

So I'm asking everyone out there.. Does my plan to get these two cameras sound good for the money, especially in the light that I aim to start doing weddings seriously? I'd still need a wireless lav, but that wouldn't be too big a problem.

If any of you have a better idea or camera choice for the money, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Nick Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Major Player

Honestly, I would wait until you can afford the HMC150, as you are close to the price of buying one new. ( the current price at B&H Photo Video is $3,279, you have to add it to your cart to see this price )

One of the key requirements for a wedding camera is the ability to shoot in poor light, which the HMC150 handles quite well. ( DSLRs are better, but then you have the whole problem of 12 minute takes, rolling shutter effects, cameras overheating, limited zoom range, etc... )
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion