View Full Version : How to:- Live composite pop-up video

Gifford Garry
July 6th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Hi, I'm new 'round here so please be patient.
I'm a musician in lanzarote and have noticed the crazy amount of flat screen tv's in the bars I play in, so I got to thinking how to utilise them in a show.
I want to do a live camera vh1 pop-up video kind of thing (where info bubbles "pop-up" on screen at relevant times).
I have used backing tracks before and was thinking of turning them into chroma key videos with the info bubbles and other footage on a green background and compositing it over a live camera of us on stage.
I can make the videos but don't have a clue as to what software and hardware I'll need to do it live.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Cheers.
Giff

Paul R Johnson
July 6th, 2010, 03:22 PM
One of the interesting bits of software is arkaos - essentially it's a media server, kind of like a sampler, but for video. It lets you take graphics, video clips and live video, and then map these to keys on a computer keyboard, and you can also have effects and all kinds of video treatment too - so you can kind of play images like you'd play a music keyboard. It can also be controlled from midi, or dmx from a lighting desk. I think you can download a demo. Camera wise, it depends on what inputs you have available, but it's rather neat. I've got a lighting controller that I use for music events, and I trigger the video via Arkaos. It can handle multiple outputs too - I found it a bit complicated at first, but I'm getting better. There are alternatives, like Hippotizer, which is a hardware/software combination rather than stand-alone software for your own pc.