View Full Version : HV30: Dead Pixels from Laser Exposure

Jack Zhang
July 25th, 2010, 09:42 PM
While on tour, our itinerary forced us to watch a performance of sorts. I didn't realize they used laser light in this show. Consequently, I shot for 2 days afterwords and only found the three dead pixels when I viewed my footage on an HDTV.

My camera is no longer under warranty and if it was, it won't qualify since I purchased it in the US and it may not apply to Canada. How much will it cost to replace the sensor?

Screenshot on my Posterous post: Dead Pixels - Jack Zhang's Posterous (http://jackzhang.posterous.com/dead-pixels-1)

Jack Zhang
August 9th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Screw it, just found out I lost my receipt, so I can't fix it. (unless someone can give me the name of a authorized repair shop in Vancouver. Can't google one up for the life of me)

Knowing this, is it a good idea to sell my HV30 as is for a deck or spare parts? How much would that fetch?

Peter Moretti
August 12th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Sorry to hear about this :(. I would think Canon in Canada should be able to steer you in the right direction in terms of finding an authorized repair place or doing the work themselves, even if it's out of waranty.

Selling as a deck seems like a "good" alternative.

Good luck.

Jack Zhang
August 12th, 2010, 06:57 PM
That's the problem, the Canon Canada website only lists it's official repair center in Toronto. It does not list any authorized repair centers.

Anyways, just tried Google again and found one (just scrambled the words and found one). I'll try that one and if it still can't be fixed, I'll put it up for sale.