View Full Version : 48 Hour Film Project

Bob Krieger
August 13th, 2010, 03:29 PM
In a few hours I will be receiving my Genre, line of dialogue, character, and prop to begin this weekends event. I'll be trying out my new AX2000 for the first time and editing on Premiere CS5. I've done some tests with the cam and editing machine and things look good. I'm actually hoping my AVCHD workflow, i.e., shoot on multiple cards, send full cards to machine for ingest and basically edit without transcoding, will save me time and effort. I don't anticipate editing a lot of layers, but I haven't written the script yet either!

I think, "hope", this cam will actually save me time and effort. Ingesting an hour of AVCHD takes less than half the time of importing the same footage shot on HDV. Wish me luck!

Olakunle Olanrewaju
August 14th, 2010, 05:47 AM
looks like you will need it! Good luck!!!

Richard Crowley
August 14th, 2010, 08:33 PM
My team did the 48Hour thing last weekend (in Portland, Oregon). They shot on my twin Sony NX5s and we imported clips right from the SDHC cards and edited on Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 Worked great.

Bob Krieger
August 16th, 2010, 08:04 PM
See the video in the samples area.

We shot on the AX2000, used available lighting, shot around customers coming through the shop and displays, had to deal with air conditioning hum and water fountains in the coffee shop, but still were able to finish on time. Editing was done on a scratch built i7 Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) machine with 12 GB RAM, Adobe CS5, and a lot of luck. Let me tell you, editing the AVCHD footage went very smoothly. I was worried when I saw we had almost 3 hours of raw footage to edit down to below 7 minutes for a final product! The AVCHD footage copied from the SDHC cards in under 15 minutes, was immediately recognized and available to Premiere CS5, and edited without a hitch. The footage looked blocky and grainy on playback from the timeline, but the rendered sequences were very nice! We shot on the highest quality 1080p30 but had to deliver on SD DVD. It helps when a plan comes together!