View Full Version : EX3's & 24PsF with KiPro

Larry Huntington
August 24th, 2010, 01:58 AM
For the longest time I thought I couldn't record 24p from the EX3 to the KiPro due to an SDI limitation- a 60i stream, but many thanks for a solution from Jon Thorn (AJA product manager), who I ran into at the Nevada City Film Festival in Northern California this weekend. He assured me there was a hard to find menu item on the EX3 which makes the Ki Pro see a 24psf signal (regardless of what your video format is set to record internally). Today I perused the EX3 menu and found it in "others/genlock/24p system. Mine was set to 60i and changed it to 24psf. The KiPro went from reading "60i to 24PsF" and I about fainted. Hope this helps any Ex3/Ki Pro owners who can't seem to get a 24PsF signal out of their Ex3.

Many thanks to you Jon and AJA!

Larry

Peter Corbett
August 30th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Would this apply also to 25PsF from a 60fps tape Varicam?

Jon Thorn
September 1st, 2010, 03:13 PM
Peter C. - The Ki Pro does not provide support for the extraction of 25 fps from within the 60 fps output by the original Varicam at this time. The Ki Pro does provides support for the extraction of 23.98 fps (24) and 29.97 fps (30) from within 59.94 fps or 25 fps from within 50 fps at this time when use with a variety of Panasonic camcorders.

It should be noted that later versions of Panasonic camcorders use a 50Hz signal (50 fps) with the 25fps flagged within that signal; only the first Varicams used the 60Hz structure you are referring to.

We may add support for your particular scenario with a firmware update sometime in the future.

Regards,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.