View Full Version : 12 volt power to 5D MkII

Denis OKeefe
December 31st, 2010, 10:14 AM
Anyone have some ideas for an easy (and dependable) way to step down my AB Dionics 90 to power the Canon 5D MKII?
I have the dummy battery from my ac adapter and plenty of Anton Bauer batteries and spare plate, just not sure how to step the power down. I can build a little voltage regulator if I have to, but would rather not, soldering small pins is not my idea of fun. Not to mention figuring out schematics, resisters and all that stuff.
The good folks at Jag35 sell a step down cable for $59.00. Should I bite the bullet and just buy it?

Nicholas de Kock
January 1st, 2011, 08:39 AM
Bite the bullet and depending on the size of your bite there are two other option...

Anton Bauer GLD MNT BRACKT/POUCH f/CANON 5D/7D/60D QR-DSLR B&H

Switronix PowerBase 70 Battery Pack Kit w/ Battery and Charger

Olof Ekbergh
January 1st, 2011, 09:47 AM
There are many solid state voltage reducers readily available, here is just one:

12 volt to 1.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 volt switching DC/DC converters with 2 amp output car adapter. (http://www.powerstream.com/dc6.htm)

Denis OKeefe
January 1st, 2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks Olof, I was searching for regulators, transformers and other options, not voltage reducers. One great new years resolution for me would be to figure in the time value wasted searching for stuff (just because I can). A simple tiny box with 12v in, 7.4 volts out and an inline fuse seems like a $25 dollar buy at my gut level. Building it will take research, maybe trial and error and probably cost me way more than $25 ( but give me a reasonable excuse to buy a band saw, cnc laser aligned water cutting machine and the MIG/TIG welding rig that I might need to make that tiny box.)
I bought the cable from Jag35, cost $79 with the dummy battery but got the project out of my head and off my desk and workbench.

Denis OKeefe
January 1st, 2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks Olof, I was searching for regulators, transformers and other options, not voltage reducers. One great new years resolution for me would be to figure in the time value wasted searching for stuff (just because I can). A simple tiny box with 12v in, 7.4 volts out and an inline fuse seems like a $25 dollar buy at my gut level. Building it will take research, maybe trial and error and probably cost me way more than $25 ( but give me a reasonable excuse to buy a band saw, cnc laser aligned water cutting machine and the MIG/TIG welding rig that I might need to make that tiny box.)
I bought the cable from Jag35, cost $79 with the dummy battery but got the project out of my head and off my desk and workbench.