12 volt power to 5D MkII at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 31st, 2010, 10:14 AM   #1
Major Player

12 volt power to 5D MkII

Anyone have some ideas for an easy (and dependable) way to step down my AB Dionics 90 to power the Canon 5D MKII?
I have the dummy battery from my ac adapter and plenty of Anton Bauer batteries and spare plate, just not sure how to step the power down. I can build a little voltage regulator if I have to, but would rather not, soldering small pins is not my idea of fun. Not to mention figuring out schematics, resisters and all that stuff.
The good folks at Jag35 sell a step down cable for $59.00. Should I bite the bullet and just buy it?
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 08:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Bite the bullet and depending on the size of your bite there are two other option...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/741389-REG/Anton_Bauer_QR_DSLR_GLD_MNT_BRACKT_POUCH_f_CANON.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/729066-REG/Switronix_PowerBase_70_Battery_Pack.html
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

There are many solid state voltage reducers readily available, here is just one:

12 volt to 1.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 volt switching DC/DC converters with 2 amp output car adapter.
Old January 1st, 2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Olof, I was searching for regulators, transformers and other options, not voltage reducers. One great new years resolution for me would be to figure in the time value wasted searching for stuff (just because I can). A simple tiny box with 12v in, 7.4 volts out and an inline fuse seems like a $25 dollar buy at my gut level. Building it will take research, maybe trial and error and probably cost me way more than $25 ( but give me a reasonable excuse to buy a band saw, cnc laser aligned water cutting machine and the MIG/TIG welding rig that I might need to make that tiny box.)
I bought the cable from Jag35, cost $79 with the dummy battery but got the project out of my head and off my desk and workbench.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 01:23 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Olof, I was searching for regulators, transformers and other options, not voltage reducers. One great new years resolution for me would be to figure in the time value wasted searching for stuff (just because I can). A simple tiny box with 12v in, 7.4 volts out and an inline fuse seems like a $25 dollar buy at my gut level. Building it will take research, maybe trial and error and probably cost me way more than $25 ( but give me a reasonable excuse to buy a band saw, cnc laser aligned water cutting machine and the MIG/TIG welding rig that I might need to make that tiny box.)
I bought the cable from Jag35, cost $79 with the dummy battery but got the project out of my head and off my desk and workbench.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD