View Full Version : Hiring/Renting a Crane - Advice?

Darrell Aubert
January 30th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Hi Everyone. I have a client that is having a pretty big wedding. They are interested in having a large crane during the reception and ceremony. I have a small jib myself but I think something larger would be more appropriate. Does anyone here have experience with hiring someone to bring and operate a crane? What should I look out for?

Don Bloom
January 30th, 2011, 06:18 PM
The first thing that comes to my mind is proof of liability insurance. Lots of it. A big jib at a wedding...big meaning 15 ft, 20 ft, 30 ft? Wow, lots of liability insurance.

Philip Howells
January 30th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Darrell, without doubt, hire one in with an operator - and make sure they have adequate insurance. I'd even consider asking the client to contact the guests in advance and ask any who want to be seated clear of the crane to tell them.

Great shots but a potential minefield.

Warren Kawamoto
January 30th, 2011, 07:45 PM
All the above are correct. In addition, keep in mind that just because someone owns a 30 ft jib doesn't mean he's automatically a good operator. Demo reels are hard to judge too, because bad shots are easy to edit out. Shooting commercials is one thing; you can re-take as many shots as you need until it's right. With weddings, the operator will have only one chance to get THE shot. Lastly, how professional are they in appearance? Do they tape their equipment together with shiny silver duct tape? Do they leave cords and equipment cases strewn around the area? Do they come dressed in a backwards baseball cap, jeans and t-shirt? Hmmm......