Hiring/Renting a Crane - Advice? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 30th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hiring/Renting a Crane - Advice?

Hi Everyone. I have a client that is having a pretty big wedding. They are interested in having a large crane during the reception and ceremony. I have a small jib myself but I think something larger would be more appropriate. Does anyone here have experience with hiring someone to bring and operate a crane? What should I look out for?
Old January 30th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The first thing that comes to my mind is proof of liability insurance. Lots of it. A big jib at a wedding...big meaning 15 ft, 20 ft, 30 ft? Wow, lots of liability insurance.

Last edited by Don Bloom; January 30th, 2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: stupid spelling errors
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #3
Trustee

Darrell, without doubt, hire one in with an operator - and make sure they have adequate insurance. I'd even consider asking the client to contact the guests in advance and ask any who want to be seated clear of the crane to tell them.

Great shots but a potential minefield.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #4
Trustee

All the above are correct. In addition, keep in mind that just because someone owns a 30 ft jib doesn't mean he's automatically a good operator. Demo reels are hard to judge too, because bad shots are easy to edit out. Shooting commercials is one thing; you can re-take as many shots as you need until it's right. With weddings, the operator will have only one chance to get THE shot. Lastly, how professional are they in appearance? Do they tape their equipment together with shiny silver duct tape? Do they leave cords and equipment cases strewn around the area? Do they come dressed in a backwards baseball cap, jeans and t-shirt? Hmmm......
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques