View Full Version : Moire with GH2 after converted

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Jim Snow
March 1st, 2011, 10:56 AM
Chris, Jeff - That's an excellent way to describe it.

Martyn Hull
March 1st, 2011, 11:08 AM
George i have done several tests and find 720P resolution /sharpness to be the same as interlaced and i am not talking about after the 50i has been deinterlaced which loses resolution.

Guy McLoughlin
March 1st, 2011, 12:10 PM
when I put the clips into my CS5 timeline there is pronounced moire patterning.Here is a clip that illustrates what I mean, it can be seen in the railings.

George,

Can you post a full resolution screen capture from your shoot, either in TIFF or PNG format.

I am guessing that your Vimeo video clip is scaled down from the original size. Sometimes aliasing/moire problems can be introduced by the scaling process, so I am curious to see what a full resolution uncompressed image from your video looks like.

Brian Luce
March 1st, 2011, 09:03 PM
George,
I don't know about CS5, but judging image quality on a timeline monitor wouldn't give an accurate representation of actual image quality with a lot of NLE's. Render it out and see if the problem is still there.

Jim Snow
March 2nd, 2011, 05:36 PM
That is especially true when evaluating moire since resizing is done very much so on the time line and resizing is THE cause of moire.

Jeff Harper
March 2nd, 2011, 09:25 PM
I don't know you guys, I suspect his moire was real, the fence was just a terrible subject for panning across. I thought he said it was in the original footage, but I might be mistaken.

Jeff Harper
March 8th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I almost hate to start back in on this thread, but here's a thread (below) with a pro discussing his using the GH2 instead of his Red camera (imagine that) and he mentions the lack of moire on mesh, etc.

Further, he talks of using the HDMI connector for monitor useage, which I think is absolutely vital with this camera. The LCD is great, but for exteneded shooting time, I just can't see going without a monitor.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?232849-Used-the-GH2-for-a-pro-job!-(thoughts-on-the-application)

Jim Snow
March 8th, 2011, 11:48 PM
he talks of using the HDMI connector for monitor useage, which I think is absolutely vital with this casmera. The LCD is great, but for exteneded shooting time, I just can't see going without a monitor.

A hearty Amen to that! I have seen so much blown focus footage on this class of camera. It's a shame to have a camera that is capable of tack-sharp focus and shoot crippled because of inadequate viewfinder tools.