Moire with GH2 after converted at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 16th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Moire with GH2 after converted

OK, made 3 minute test video of my cats, shot in 1080i. when I rendered the files in Vegas to 1080 60i avi, it was perfect. Pay particular attention to the shoestring that dangles at just over halfway. Cincinnati Video Production by Jeff Harper Video

When rendered to vanilla SD widescreeen avi, lines that occur when during pans are quite severe.

Mpeg2 widescreen for DVD, same thing, of course. I couldn't possibly put this on a DVD for a customer.

Do I have to record in SD to get acceptable quality for DVDs? I was hoping to shoot in DVD and give customers an option later on for Bluray, but at this point it looks pretty hopeless. Suggestions anyone?

Last edited by Jeff Harper; February 16th, 2011 at 04:01 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

this thread helped me :)

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...d-quality.html
David Grinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #3
Trustee

Good news - sort of. The problem you describe isn't a problem with the camera; it's with your resizing / conversion. What you are seeing isn't moire, it's interlacing and resizing artifacts. I believe you are using Vegas, is that right? What settings are you using?
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Well for what you saw I rendered out to .avi widescreen. When I rendered to HD avi it was perfect, but I think I already said that.

Jim, I've played with it some many ways, I am not sure. I believe I used the properties of the footage for editing, then cropped the clips to 16:9, then rendered to .avi.

I did the same thing for mpeg2 for sd video 16:9 and the results were exactly the same.
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle

David, thanks. but that is a VERY long thread!
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Major Player

What does the footage look like played direct to your HD tv via hdmi, if its ok the problem is with the edit.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I had been in this coversation two years ago or so about HD to SD and I kept preaching at everyone it is better to shoot in SD if the end product was going to be SD. I had among the first FX1000, but never used it for HD. I only bought them for the 16:9 picture.

Now I actually want to shoot HD with my HD camera, and I've forgotten what little I Iearned back then. I want to shoot HD and downconvert so I can upsell BluRay discs later, and so I can have HD samples.

Anyway, I'm going to shoot 720p this evening and see if it converts any better. I don't understand the technicalites of all this, I try and learn what will work and leave the debating to everyone else and forget about it.

Or if anyone can suggest something I can do in post to make it better that would be great too. If I haven't given enough information, let me know.
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

yeah no joke!! it takes a while to filter out whats there...

-bring the video into Vegas(same settings as the footage, ie. 1080, 24p or whatever it may be)
-Render out a uncompressed AVI
-Open in Vdub
-Use the resize filter (on filter mode use Lanczos3)
-Render it out of Vdub using the Lagarith codec
-then bring it back into vegas and it works great

Thats just what I got out of that monster thread hah

David
David Grinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks David, I'll try it. Hopefully the resulting files won't be too large, my projects tend to be about 1.5-2 hours.
Old February 16th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #10
Inner Circle

David, the 3 minute video rendered at default uncompressed it 33GB. an hour would be 600GB. 2 hours would be 1.2GB. I'm not a numbers guy, so I might be wrong.

Any thoughts? Wait, I'm going to render it differently to 1080 60i again, and try that, that should be smaller, more like 6gb
Old February 16th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #11
Inner Circle

When rendered out to 1080i avi the file is only 16GB, still quite large. I'll put into Virtual Dub and see if I can figure out how it works...thanks David.
Old February 17th, 2011, 02:44 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I tried to consolidate some of the info in the above linked thread on HD to SD conversion. Personally I think it's just too many steps to take and too cumbersome. Maybe there's a plugin or other method?

Have you tried to film in 1080p and then downconvert?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Nowadays I always shoot in HD. As SD can easily be downsized from HD - but not the other way back! So far did not encounter any problems with it.
Waldi Krasowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I'm thinking what I actually might have seen in my video was the effect of rolling shutter, magnified via conversion. It sure fits the bill.
Old February 17th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #15
Major Player

Jeff, the problem you are seeing is 1080 60i interlacing artifacts, not moire.

I would recommend that you either shoot in 24P progressive mode ( which will eliminate interlacing completely ) or de-interlace your video with Sony Vegas Pro, before down-rezing to SD format.
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series