View Full Version : Ki Pro - SD Codec?

Mike Watson
March 7th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I have an A/V firm shooting a conference this week that I am editing footage for. They are shooting in standard definition. They are recording to a Ki Pro.

What codecs can it record in SD? ProRes seems like dramatic overkill. DV would be a great answer - this is basic stuff and I don't really need uncompressed 10 bit or anything ridiculous. I can, of course, wait until the deck comes in, but I'd rather have piece of mind now.

Anyone know?

Jon Thorn
March 7th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Mike W. - The Ki Pro records to the various flavors of Apple ProRes 422 codec; it does not record to the DV codec. Apple ProRes 422 is a 10-bit 4:2:2 codec compared to DV's 8-bit 4:1:1 codec. One hour of DV NTSC would require roughly 13GB of storage space. One hour of Apple ProRes 422 NTSC would require roughly 20GB of storage space. So the bandwidth requirements and capacity requirements for a storage array aren't going to be terribly taxed when working with Apple ProRes 422 NTSC compared to DV NTSC.

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.

Mike Watson
March 7th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Wow Jon, straight from the horse's mouth.

I have a Ki Pro Mini on my wishlist for two separate studio builds this summer. Good to know there's support behind this product.