View Full Version : Twelco TW-LP4 32 mixer question

Andy Balla
April 2nd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Hi all. I was looking into a good step-up mixer from my lame Azden FMX-32 mixer. I saw this Twelco TW-LP4 32 mixer, used in great condition, with a bag. I've never heard of this brand before. Any audio gurus familiar with this company, and this mixer in particular. Its got all of the functions I want that my Azden doesn't have, like a reference tone, return from camera, and better options for phantom and T power and monitoring. Just looking to see what kind of reputation this company and product have, before I decide to pull the trigger. Thanks!

Andy Balla
April 2nd, 2011, 11:17 AM
I can't find any decent info about this mixer or company, other than that its a Hungarian company, and I'm Hungarian!

Greg Miller
April 2nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
Google found the company's website, a data sheet, and a user manual (including block diagram) within 60 seconds. Other than that... I haven't heard of it or them before.

Andy Balla
April 2nd, 2011, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I looked at all of that already. I was interested in hearing from people who have real world experience with it. User reviews and that kind of thing.

Andy Balla
April 3rd, 2011, 12:49 AM
My other option is a used Shure FP32A , in excellent condition, frrom Trew Audio. So should I go for the lightly used FP32A, in great condition with a bag, or the un-known commodity, the Twelco TW-LP4 32 also with a bag. Would need a breakaway cable for either one. I have concerns about Twelco's service, since I would have to send the unit to Hungary for service. The more I think, the more local service makes this a no brainer.

Brian P. Reynolds
April 3rd, 2011, 05:06 AM
The Shure FP33 is way better than the FP32 & FP32A which both suffered from background noise problems.
I would strongly suggest NOT to purchase a FP32 as the unit will only deliver 12-18v phantom power unless you use an external power supply. This problem was fixed in the FP32A which will give 48v phantom.
I have 2x Shure FP33 mixers and love them, simple and flexible for most jobs, hire people like them as they are not that daunting for the inexperienced.

Andy Balla
April 3rd, 2011, 10:15 AM
The one I'm considering is the FP32A, and then also this Twelco.

Kevin Walsh
April 3rd, 2011, 06:32 PM
I remember seeing a Twelco mixer being compared to the Wendt X4 a few years ago and it was a pretty close race. I can't find the site.

It's probably better than an FP32A and the Azden FMX-32 but I am just guessing. Their website shows a picture of the mixer paired up with Zaxcom Deva IV.

Andy Balla
April 3rd, 2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks Kevin! From what I've seen the Twelco looks on par with a Shure FP33. A big step up from my Azden mixer. The unit I'm looking at is a demo, and has been tested at the factory, comes with a field bag and can do mid-side recording. It looks to be very flexible, and a great price. I think I'm going to take the plunge and go for it! Its funny, because another mixer I was looking at was the Wendt X4, but I couldn't find a used one that didn't look like it had been used and abused.

Andy Balla
April 4th, 2011, 05:35 PM
After much internal back and forth, I've decided to hold off and deal with my lame mixer until I can afford a truly professional piece, namely the Sound Designs 302. I'm done shopping and looking for bargoons!

John Hartney
April 4th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I've had two twelco mixers, the first was three channels into one for Nagra and film. It was very well made with quiet amps.

More recently, I have a twelco lp44s which is a four in four out setup with excellent routing. I'd say they don't have the best preamps for music, but for voice work, they'll be fine. Definitely a step up from azden. The model I have, Coffee sound used to sell for $2400 and it held its own with sd kits. They are heavier than sd or wendt, but they are solid. I'm don't like shure mixers, so I'm no help on that front. Good Luck

Andy Balla
April 4th, 2011, 07:08 PM
See, this is actual hands on experience! Now I'm re-thinking again...If I can pick up a three channel Twelco for under $600, would that be a better deal than kicking out at least $1200 for an SD 302? This is the info I need to make an informed decision. I'm glad to hear that the pre-amps are nice and quiet. This was one of my main concerns. SD is such the "go to" brand lately, and I understand why, but I don't want to rule out something else just because its NOT an SD. Oh, I'm so conflicted right now! Fortunately I have 5 days left to decide!

Andy Balla
April 11th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Won the auction for the Twelco. Its on the way from the factory in Hungary. I scored it for $450...seems like a pretty damn good deal. Can't wait to put it through its paces!

Andy Balla
April 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Boy, I went back and forth on this thread, huh?

Evan Meades
June 21st, 2011, 01:50 AM
Well how is it now you have it?

Where exactly did you find it if you don't mind saying?

Evo

Gary Nattrass
June 21st, 2011, 02:22 AM
There are several of these mixers for sale on the UK e-bay, they look very good and have some nice features for the money: sintra3000wan | eBay UK (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/sintra3000wan/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562)

More details about the company and products here: http://www.twelco.hu/prode.htm

Andy Balla
June 22nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
Evan, I got it off Ebay from the same guy that Gary linked to. It is a factory refurb, looks like brand new. I've been using it for about a month now on a few corporate shoots, a short and most recently a feature. It is performing awesomely. Very flexible, all the features I needed, and I've been running it off of one NP-1B battery for four days of shooting now, using phantom power. It still reads as nearly full, but I'll change the battery before the next shoot day and charge the one I've been using. All in all, I couldn't be happier!

Andy Balla
June 22nd, 2011, 04:26 PM
BTW, I'm mostly using mine with a Rode NTG-3, and it sounds great. Really clean.

Mine is the three channel version...

Gary Nattrass
September 13th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Just an update from me on these mixers, I have done a lot of research and looked into the background of the guy who makes them and he is a sound recordist himself so knows his stuff.

The mixers are very well made and are sold as factory re-furbs direct on e-bay and I am getting two of them to add to my production kit, a four channel LP4S and a six channel LP4-62.

They have some very good pro features and for the money I don't think there is anything of this quality and flexibility to touch them.

Andy Balla
September 13th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I'm already thinking about adding a four channel model when money allows for it. Still thrilled with mine.

Gary Nattrass
September 23rd, 2011, 03:02 AM
Had a few happy hours setting my first mixer up yesterday, int old days of broadcast we used to do acceptance tests on all audio kit but this seems to have been thrown out the window along with the staff now.

These mixers are very well made and I was able to adjust the limiter threshold and calibrate the outputs and meters with no problems at all, initial tests show that they are very quiet and have some very good features and for the money (I paid £400 delivered for this one:http://www.twelco.hu/LP4S_userman.pdf) I don't think there is anything near it on the market. Even the outputs are transformer balanced and all the switches and pots are very smooth and pro like.

I had a sign ENG44 a few years ago which was a bit of a toy, but this is far superior, arrived in as new condition with a full set of AA rechargeable batteries, two power supplies (sadly two pin euro ones) and a very useable case.

My only criticism is the ballistics of the BBC type PPM meters, they are just re-scaled VU's so are too quick but having said that are still useable for quick gain settings, as the limiters are very good quality they stop any over mod happening and as I have the auto gain set on ch3+4 of my camera all levels can be recorded safely but with plenty of headroom.

Some of the great features are that you can link the inputs for stereo so you only have to use one pot to control the level of a stereo mic or source, you can also get sep outputs for multi track recording straight from the four mic amps and the mix of outputs available inc a video assist are very comprehensive.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/GaryNattrass/DSC_0001-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/GaryNattrass/DSC_0001-3.jpg