Twelco TW-LP4 32 mixer question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Twelco TW-LP4 32 mixer question

Hi all. I was looking into a good step-up mixer from my lame Azden FMX-32 mixer. I saw this Twelco TW-LP4 32 mixer, used in great condition, with a bag. I've never heard of this brand before. Any audio gurus familiar with this company, and this mixer in particular. Its got all of the functions I want that my Azden doesn't have, like a reference tone, return from camera, and better options for phantom and T power and monitoring. Just looking to see what kind of reputation this company and product have, before I decide to pull the trigger. Thanks!
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Twelco TW-LP4 32 mixer question

I can't find any decent info about this mixer or company, other than that its a Hungarian company, and I'm Hungarian!
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Trustee

Google found the company's website, a data sheet, and a user manual (including block diagram) within 60 seconds. Other than that... I haven't heard of it or them before.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah, I looked at all of that already. I was interested in hearing from people who have real world experience with it. User reviews and that kind of thing.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 12:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

My other option is a used Shure FP32A , in excellent condition, frrom Trew Audio. So should I go for the lightly used FP32A, in great condition with a bag, or the un-known commodity, the Twelco TW-LP4 32 also with a bag. Would need a breakaway cable for either one. I have concerns about Twelco's service, since I would have to send the unit to Hungary for service. The more I think, the more local service makes this a no brainer.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:06 AM   #6
Major Player

The Shure FP33 is way better than the FP32 & FP32A which both suffered from background noise problems.
I would strongly suggest NOT to purchase a FP32 as the unit will only deliver 12-18v phantom power unless you use an external power supply. This problem was fixed in the FP32A which will give 48v phantom.
I have 2x Shure FP33 mixers and love them, simple and flexible for most jobs, hire people like them as they are not that daunting for the inexperienced.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 10:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The one I'm considering is the FP32A, and then also this Twelco.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:32 PM   #8
Major Player

I remember seeing a Twelco mixer being compared to the Wendt X4 a few years ago and it was a pretty close race. I can't find the site.

It's probably better than an FP32A and the Azden FMX-32 but I am just guessing. Their website shows a picture of the mixer paired up with Zaxcom Deva IV.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:17 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Kevin! From what I've seen the Twelco looks on par with a Shure FP33. A big step up from my Azden mixer. The unit I'm looking at is a demo, and has been tested at the factory, comes with a field bag and can do mid-side recording. It looks to be very flexible, and a great price. I think I'm going to take the plunge and go for it! Its funny, because another mixer I was looking at was the Wendt X4, but I couldn't find a used one that didn't look like it had been used and abused.
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #10
Regular Crew

After much internal back and forth, I've decided to hold off and deal with my lame mixer until I can afford a truly professional piece, namely the Sound Designs 302. I'm done shopping and looking for bargoons!
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #11
Major Player

I've had two twelco mixers, the first was three channels into one for Nagra and film. It was very well made with quiet amps.

More recently, I have a twelco lp44s which is a four in four out setup with excellent routing. I'd say they don't have the best preamps for music, but for voice work, they'll be fine. Definitely a step up from azden. The model I have, Coffee sound used to sell for $2400 and it held its own with sd kits. They are heavier than sd or wendt, but they are solid. I'm don't like shure mixers, so I'm no help on that front. Good Luck
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #12
Regular Crew

See, this is actual hands on experience! Now I'm re-thinking again...If I can pick up a three channel Twelco for under $600, would that be a better deal than kicking out at least $1200 for an SD 302? This is the info I need to make an informed decision. I'm glad to hear that the pre-amps are nice and quiet. This was one of my main concerns. SD is such the "go to" brand lately, and I understand why, but I don't want to rule out something else just because its NOT an SD. Oh, I'm so conflicted right now! Fortunately I have 5 days left to decide!
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Won the auction for the Twelco. Its on the way from the factory in Hungary. I scored it for $450...seems like a pretty damn good deal. Can't wait to put it through its paces!
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Boy, I went back and forth on this thread, huh?
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:50 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Well how is it now you have it?

Where exactly did you find it if you don't mind saying?

Evo
Evan Meades is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio