Audio Recorder with 2 minijacks input at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 4th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Audio Recorder with 2 minijacks input

I am looking for recorder to capture interviews while travelling.
I use 2 X Senn G2 lavaliers and I was wondering if there is a portable audio recorder with 2 minijacks input for mics , so I could avoid the XLRs .
I like the Sony PCM-10 but there is only one mic input.
Old September 4th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Audio Recorder with 2 minijacks input

I've never seen or even read about a recorder w/ dual L/R mini plugs. It's conceivable a an 2-mono to stereo mini-plug adapter cable could be made .. but plug-in pwr. and other factors play into the equation. Even then, most 1/8" input recorders don't allow individual channel record level.
Probably a cost effective option would be to get a recorder w/XLRs and buy 'Phantom Power adapters' for your existing mics if they're decent.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Morane View Post
I use 2 X Senn G2 lavaliers and I was wondering if there is a portable audio recorder with 2 minijacks input for mics , so I could avoid the XLRs .
You could build or buy a Y cable, two mono minijack to one stereo miniplug if the idea is to get one lav receiver onto each stereo channel.
Old September 5th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Trustee

I agree completely with Steve's suggestion. I've built one of these myself, to breakout a stereo mic input to two mono mics of a stereo pair. It works fine with a DR-03, DR-07, and I may have even used it with my ancient Microtrak.

If you don't want to solder, get a Y cable with a 3.5mm stereo male on one end, which breaks out to two RCA (mono) connectors on the other end. Then get two RCA to 3.5mm mono adapters. Plug it all together and you're done.

Just be sure that your lavs will work correctly with the DC voltage coming out of the given recorder. You'll either have to find specs for the mics and recorder, or try it before you buy it.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Just as an extra point. I have the Sony PCM D-50 (one mini plug) and also have the Senheiser lavalier mikes. The screw in connection on the mikes will not allow the mini plug to be inserted in the recorder.
Old September 6th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Just as an extra point. I have the Sony PCM D-50 (one mini plug) and also have the Senheiser lavalier mikes. The screw in connection on the mikes will not allow the mini plug to be inserted in the recorder.
Good point ... When I read the original post I just assumed he wanted to connect a pair of wireless receivers to the recorder, feeding one to each channel. Re-reading it, it may well be that he wants to use the mic capsules alone, hardwiring them to the recorder without the wireless links. So he could have the issue of compatibility with the screw connector on the mic's cable end to contend with and also keeping the mic power properly sorted out.

Robert ... are you looking at using the wireless sets or just the naked lav capsules directly to the recorder?
Old September 6th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #7
Trustee

I am sure that there are portable mixing consoles that will allow two mikes input and output a single stereo output. You may have to use adaptors that use XLR to mini connection - I use a XLR on my Rode NTG1 that outputs to a mini which I use on my Sony PCM D-50. Maybe someone will have more information on small mixing consoles.
Old September 6th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
I am sure that there are portable mixing consoles that will allow two mikes input and output a single stereo output. You may have to use adaptors that use XLR to mini connection - I use a XLR on my Rode NTG1 that outputs to a mini which I use on my Sony PCM D-50. Maybe someone will have more information on small mixing consoles.
The Sound Devices MixPre has a consumer line level output on a 3.5mm jack. The 302 has a-15dBu output on a TA3M jack.
Old September 6th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #9
Trustee

Adding a mixer sounds like more trouble than necessary, although if it's a really good mixer the mic pres might be better than those in the recorder... if that matters for interviews.

My fear about going through XLR adapters and into the mixer input, is that the mixer probably does not have "plug in power" on its XLR inputs, which the mics require. Worse yet, if the mixer has true phantom voltage on its XLR inputs, and you connect that (through the adapters) to the low voltage mics, you might fry the mics! Not a pleasant scenario.

Being a minimalist, I bought two cable-type 3.5mm jacks. The OD on these is pretty small, so hopefully they would not conflict with the threads on the mic plugs. Then I bought a "Y" cable with a 3.5mm stereo plug and two RCA plugs on the other ends; cut off the RCAs and soldered those two wires into the two 3.5mm jacks. Done!

Of course finding dimensioned drawings of the 3.5mm cable jacks, or even the threaded 3.5mm plugs, is often a challenge. Every project is theoretically simple, but a real PITA in practice.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
Adding a mixer sounds like more trouble than necessary, although if it's a really good mixer the mic pres might be better than those in the recorder... if that matters for interviews.
This looks interesting Behringer XENYX 802 Premium Mixer
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
You could build or buy a Y cable, two mono minijack to one stereo miniplug if the idea is to get one lav receiver onto each stereo channel.
Your proposed solution seems to answer my problem. I will give it a try .
Thanks you all guys!
Old September 15th, 2011, 03:18 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Your proposed solution seems to answer my problem. I will give it a try .
Thanks you all guys!
Just FYI ... I'd use inline TRS 1/8 female jacks to a TRS male 1/8 miniplug. Wire it so the 'tip' connector in one of the jacks goes to the tip of the plug and the other jack's tip connector goes to the ring on the miniplug. The jack connected to the plug's tip feeds the left channel in the recorder while the one connected to the ring feeds the right. Connect both jack's sleeves to the sleeve on the plug but either leave the ring connectors in both of the jacks unconnected or jump them to the tip connector. Do not jump them to ground!
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #13
Major Player

OK will do.
Thank you Steve.
Old September 25th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #14
Major Player

I know exactly what you need because I have a setup for this. No need for 2 minijack inputs. You need one of those little Zoom H1 recorders (or any of them that have an 1/8" mic input with dc-bias voltage for powered mics) and a set of lapel mountable mics with a y cord from microphonemadness.com:

MM Audio - The Next Generation of Pro Audio Equipment

You want omni mics with lapel clips. The cheap one here aren't bad and the "Sennheiser driven" ones are awesome. They are all electret condensers which are powered by the dc-bias voltage that is on the Zoom recorder. The Olympus and Sony recorders also have this dc-bias voltage. So do Nikon cameras like the D5100 or D7000. I don't know about the Tascam mini-recorders.

Anyway, the whole setup will fit into a pouch you can put in your pocket and be a very reasonable price.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio