View Full Version : Sony VRD MC5 dvd recorder

Eric Kruis
November 3rd, 2011, 11:04 AM
Hello everyone,

I've got a Sony DVD writer (VRD MC5) that I purchased a few years back. I have enjoyed using it over the years as a quick to dvd system for reviewing raw mini-dv footage.

Now that I own an NX70, I would like to use the DVD burner with the new camera. I tried and got an error message on the DVD writer. "Camcorder Error".

My guess is I need firmware, but before I go about this has anybody else tried the same thing? Will the firmware make the NX70 compatible?

Thanks,

Eric

Mike Beckett
November 3rd, 2011, 12:16 PM
Hi Eric,

What connection are you using? I don't have this device, but the manual shows USB, iLink (Firewire), S-Video and composite video inputs, as well as a memory card slot.

I can't see the USB working (the device probably wouldn't have a clue how to talk to the NX70's internal Flash, or maybe doesn't understand AVCHD).

As a last resort, you may be able to use S-Video or composite video and play it back in real time.

Matt Sharp
November 3rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Looks like it's AVCHD compatible. There is a firmware update for it though: Product Details | Sony Storage Support (http://sony.storagesupport.com/product/137#drivers)

Eric Kruis
November 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
Hi guys,

I was using USB as that was the advice given in the NX70 manual. I'll go ahead in the next few days and try the firmware update. It would be great if that does the trick!

I think the unit is at least 3 years old now so an update won't hurt. But then again, the firmware instructions do seem somewhat complicated and I hope I don't screw it up.

Eric