Sony VRD MC5 dvd recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old November 3rd, 2011, 11:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony VRD MC5 dvd recorder

Hello everyone,

I've got a Sony DVD writer (VRD MC5) that I purchased a few years back. I have enjoyed using it over the years as a quick to dvd system for reviewing raw mini-dv footage.

Now that I own an NX70, I would like to use the DVD burner with the new camera. I tried and got an error message on the DVD writer. "Camcorder Error".

My guess is I need firmware, but before I go about this has anybody else tried the same thing? Will the firmware make the NX70 compatible?

Thanks,

Eric
Eric Kruis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony VRD MC5 dvd recorder

Hi Eric,

What connection are you using? I don't have this device, but the manual shows USB, iLink (Firewire), S-Video and composite video inputs, as well as a memory card slot.

I can't see the USB working (the device probably wouldn't have a clue how to talk to the NX70's internal Flash, or maybe doesn't understand AVCHD).

As a last resort, you may be able to use S-Video or composite video and play it back in real time.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Looks like it's AVCHD compatible. There is a firmware update for it though: Product Details | Sony Storage Support
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi guys,

I was using USB as that was the advice given in the NX70 manual. I'll go ahead in the next few days and try the firmware update. It would be great if that does the trick!

I think the unit is at least 3 years old now so an update won't hurt. But then again, the firmware instructions do seem somewhat complicated and I hope I don't screw it up.

Eric
Eric Kruis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders