View Full Version : Vegas 11 Crashing! Help!

Pages : [1] 2

Jeff Green
December 8th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Sorry for the drama but this is absolutely frustrating. I just upgraded to Vegas 11 Pro from Veg 10 pro. I opened a Veg 10 project and converted to Veg 11. The software keeps crashinig during the application of color correction or really any fx. My system is as follows:

i7 975
12gb of ddr3
Hybrid system drive
GTX 570 with 2.5gb mem
using an external media drive USB 3.0 to USB 3.0 on system

I tried updating the graphics driver to the beta version and that seemed to help but it still has moments and I really need to get this project out the door. Anybody have any suggestions or answers for this problem?

Thanks a million for any help!

Leslie Wand
December 8th, 2011, 05:14 PM
try moving content to internal drive?

there's also a new nvidia beta out.

Jeff Green
December 8th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks Leslie. That was a great common sense suggestion and I tried it but still getting that intermittent crash. Totally stinks!! Ready to call it quits with this new version of Vegas!

I welcome anymore suggestions. I really want this upgrade to work. My system is up to date with all the bells and whistles so it should not be a matter of not having the machine to run it. I did meet a user on Facebook who says that he has the same video card and has Vegas Pro 11 running smoothly. Go figure. So a solution to my woes must be out there.

Again, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Jeff

Leslie, BTW, I have the new 290 beta driver working with this card and still the same results.

Joe Kollee
December 9th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I was having a ton of trouble with the 64 bit version. Out of desperation, I installed the 32bit and it handled the same veg file that the 64bit version crashed on every time. The 32bit version is working perfectly in my case.

Give it a try.

Hope it works for you in your environment.

Jeff Green
December 10th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks Joe! But do you loose the robust features of editing in a 64bit platform like utilizing the 12gb of ram that I have?

Graham Bernard
December 11th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks Joe! But do you loose the robust features of editing in a 64bit platform like utilizing the 12gb of ram that I have?

Yes.

Grazie

Joe Kollee
December 11th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Well yes and no, sometimes. The short answer is common sense. Just because you have 12gb of ram, does not mean that your system is using it. You can hit cntl alt del, and look at how much ram vegas is using at any time. As you push it harder it will use more ram. The maximum ram for 32bit bits is 4gb. Windows 7 will give ram to the max a 32bit app can use when it calls for it, from the 12gb of memory. The rest of the system will run outside that apps space, so you still benefit using the 64bit os. short answer.

If you are using a 64bit plug in, then it wont work.

I am using Net Blues Titler. My project will consist of trivia questions, youtube and movie videos, and some camcorder shot video. I am using 8 tracks, and about 50-60 net blue titles per round. ( I have 8 rounds to do ) In the 64bit version, I can get about 25 titles before it crashes. 32bit version, so far so good. In my case I am using about 1gb of ram for my project. I will likely go up when it is time to render. However, once it is done, I can load the project up in the 64bit version, and render it in that. the chances that I will have to do that are likely less than 1% though...but we will see.

It does not hurt to try it, while sony works out more kinks. I am sure they will have another 2 or 3 patches over the next few months, each time making the 64bit version more and more stable. This way, you can likely get your work done, under the 32bit version still...if it works for you...

Let us know if you try it, how it works. My case may only be with the NB titler, but it is a large project that takes me about 200 hrs to complete. ( my rotary club usually sells out to it over 600 people )

P.S. Remember there are thousands of people using the 64bit version with no issue or hardly any. Sometimes, getting a new HD and re-installing windows, makes all the difference in the world. ( I suggest a new HD, for if the problem still happens, then it may be another pc of hardware causing the issues, and you might hate to redo everything for nothing, if it turns out you have bad video ram, etc... )

Jeff Harper
December 12th, 2011, 03:15 AM
The text media in Vegas, at least the 64 bit version anyway, is beyond stupid in the resources it uses, even plain non-animated text, unless i'm doing something wrong. It is my single biggest gripe.

Jeff Green
December 12th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I am still working through the issue. I may just reformat the drive and reload windows and try try try again. I'll post an update soon. Thanks for the info guys!

Len Kaufman
December 16th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I wrote to Sony Support about the same issue. They told me to uninstall the NewBlue Titler Pro.

I responded back that the NewBlue Title Pro was one of the main reasons that I upgraded to SVP11 at this time. I asked if that is the end of the story...no more Titler Pro. They responded back saying they (Sony) and NewBlue are "workin' on it."

Len

Roy Feldman
December 16th, 2011, 04:54 PM
some fixes to blue in today's update

Jeff Harper
December 17th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Thanks Roy, for the update. Wish they would send an email notification!

James Dekle
December 21st, 2011, 06:11 PM
I don't know if I feel better knowing I'm not the only one having problems with the new Vegas 11. The 511 update fixed a number of crashes but I'm still getting hammered out of my mind with crashes when applying two or the fx items. Sometimes, it crashed on one when opening from a clean boot.

I note these releases start out with more bugs than a Bowery flop house and get progressively more stable as new updates come out. My question is, am I the only one having a lot of problems with Vegas 11 crashing continually? Since it was a clean install separate from 10, is there any sense in trying to reinstall it instead of going the the patched 511 release I'm using?

This isn't a big project I'm working on, simple in fact, but this thing crashes like it has a blood alcohol level of 4,5.

Any suggestions for getting this stable?

A few details:
8GB membory; mucho internal drives, Win 7.
Vegas 10 ran like a dream with no crashes and I'm using the same plugin sets as before.
Running with an ATI 5770 card that doesn't support GPU acceleration by the way.

Jeff Harper
December 21st, 2011, 07:42 PM
I had to do a clean install of Windows 7 before things started to smooth out for me. Now this newest build as fixed a lot of things.

Dag Halvorsen
May 21st, 2012, 04:14 PM
My Vegas 11 constantly crashes (every 5 minutes) when starting preview from timeline (pressing spacebar). I've tried to update the NVIDIA drivers to the last beta version, with little or no improvement.
I've tried to run the vegas program in Vista compatibility mode, with some improvement, but not much.
I tried to uninstall ProTitler, disable second monitor, disable Cuda acceleration, ...no result at all.

I loose so much work for each of those frequent crashes, that it doesn't make sense to continue editing anymore. What should I do? Get my money back, and buy Vegas 10? 9? Would it help? When I had Vegas 8, it was stable.

I use a Intel i7-3930K 6-core 3,2MHz, 32GB RAM, SSD for programs and regular 500GB disc for clip files, NVIDIA GTX570 Cuda (enabled in Vegas) , win7-64bit.

Please help! I wanna continue using my favourite editing software, which is now not possible.

Jeff Harper
May 21st, 2012, 09:07 PM
I would install Windows 7 as a beginning.

Leslie Wand
May 21st, 2012, 09:19 PM
i think he's in 7, just using vista compatibility mode?

what i really don't understand about this compat. mode is why we should even be thinking of it unless you want to play doom in 95 mode!

surely if there is something amiss in vegas / windows 7, then scs should fix it rather than expect a 64bit 'cutting-edge' program to only work reliably in an 'old' mode.

Jeff Harper
May 21st, 2012, 09:24 PM
I guess your're right Leslie, don't know what I was thinking.

Dag, try wiping your hard drive completely. Zero it out. Do NOT reinstall Windows without reformatting your hard drive completely, should take an hour or so.

This should help a lot. Your problem is severe, and it is what I would do, but then whenever I run into severe issues with Vegas it is the first thing I do.

Mervin Langley
May 21st, 2012, 10:25 PM
Crash, crash, crash, crash, crash. I'm sick of it. Back to 9.

Peter Riding
May 22nd, 2012, 01:48 AM
I'm one of the "lucky" users - as some might say - who does not get any crashes at all. Pro 11, build 683, 64 bit, Windows 7, Nvidia 570 card.

However, two days ago I loaded and finished a project I'd started in v10. It crashed consistently on rendering regardless of the template or modified template.

I tried allsorts then just before thinking I'd have to re-edit pretty much from scratch in v11 I tried switching off GPU acceleration in Preferences. That worked. I've rendered to both DVD and MP4.

Yesterday I completed another project that this time had been started in V11. That has rendered fine to DVD, MP4 and BluRay., all with GPU acceleration turned on.

Both projects were just under an hour.

So it was simply an issue with skipping between v10 and v11.

I prefer to keep titles very simple. The New Blu Titler results look horrendous to my eye but hey we're all different :- ) NBT does appear to be a suspect in other users experience.

Pete

Ray Turcotte
May 22nd, 2012, 02:21 AM
Almost sounds like you have hardware issue(s). I'd power down and pull out all the memory modules, make sure they are identical type and re install them in a different order and do a full bios memory test. You may have a faulty memory card that vegas is trying to use.

If your computer is over clocked I try more conservative settings.

Try monitoring component temps to rule out overheating.

Also un install any previous versions of vegas. Having multiple versions of vegas installed can cause problems.

Leslie Wand
May 22nd, 2012, 03:05 AM
'Having multiple versions of vegas installed can cause problems. '

since when? you 'might' have problems if you uninstall an earlier version (i did years ago and lost a bunch of plugins), but having previous versions on the pc has never been a problem afaik.

Jeff Harper
May 22nd, 2012, 08:33 AM
Sadly, there have been a few instances reported in this forum, including from me, that have found it beneficial to to uninstall previous versions of Vegas, as Vegas 11 does not always like previous versions to be installed. It's been reported, I believe, that some users have been told to uninstall previous versions by Sony tech support to eliminate issues also.

The best thing to deal with crashes, IMO is to wipe your hard drive.

Vegas crashing is not likely the result of overheating or overclocking. Vegas is not particularly demanding in this regard. Crashing is common with Vegas 11 and while for some the cause may be system issues, Vegas is just not as stable for many as it used to be.

I had MANY issues with Vegas crashing from the first release of 11. Only upon this last release did the crashes stop.

I wiped my hard drive clean, reinstalled everything including the newerst version of Vegas, and everything is fine now.

Edward Troxel
May 22nd, 2012, 09:07 AM
Peter, make sure you're trying build 120402 of NewBlue Titler Pro. It includes improved anti-aliasing over the older versions.

Dag Halvorsen
May 22nd, 2012, 02:11 PM
It happens regardless of where on the timeline I put the cursor, but only when I press spacebar to START preview (and on some very rare occasion also when I press spacebar to STOP preview).
And yes, it seems to come more often if I press spacebar rather quickly after placing the cursor on the timeline, than if I wait a little, but still, it happens at least once every 10 minutes of editing (once every 20-30 times I press spacebar). If I open a project and don't edit anything, I can star/stop playing and move around with the cursor many more times, maybe 100 times or more, before it crashes.

Even rendering audio only, lead to immediate crash, since I had done a couple of edits before rendering. Opening the project again and rendering immediately, went well without crash.

I really feel that this has nothing to do with graphic card at all (since it crashed even when rendering audio only). I tried changing audio device type (in prefs) from Microsoft Sound Mapper to Windows Classic Wave Driver. I feel it may have helped somewhat, but again, it crashed eventually, and it's very difficult to tell if the crash probability/frequence was reduced or not. I have sent (from Vegas) at least 40-50 crash reports to Sony, but no response there, no response here, and no response in any other forum (MANY people have different kinds of crash problems with Vegas, one of them being instant crash when using GPU accelerated FX/transitions, which (of course) also I have...).

Anyone who could help out, would be VERY much appreciated!! :)

PS: My computer is only 1 month old, very few programs installed besides Windows office, and the Vegas program is installed on the boot disc (SSD), and the project on a regular hard drive from my old machine, that never caused problems. Computer never hangs. Only Vegas...

Edward Troxel
May 23rd, 2012, 07:33 AM
Dag, out of curiosity, what happens if you right-click the Vegas icon, choose Properties, and then change the "Compatibility Mode" to Windows 7?

Nicholas de Kock
May 23rd, 2012, 02:16 PM
Dag who really knows? I have a high-end i7 workstation and Vegas crashes all the time every few minutes, I get around it by literally saving every few seconds out of habit, sub-consciously. On my Dell XPS i7 notebook Vegas is rock solid. I can't explain it, it's a real pain for sure.

Dag Halvorsen
May 24th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I have an i7 machine with GeForce GTX570 (driver 296.10).
Tried windows7 compatibility mode (and Vista mode), but no difference...

Gerald Webb
May 27th, 2012, 01:33 AM
FWIW,
Ive just noticed this, might be no great revelation to some but....
I've always felt a bit sketchy about Vegas' GPU benefits, but this seems to confirm it.
Over the last month I've been pushing Vegas pretty hard, 3 versions open, rendering while editing etc, Its performed pretty well overall, but I was getting the occasional BSD while rendering ( not just Vegas white screen, whole PC locks then blue screen with "machine check exception").
I was putting it down to my OCing, even though temps at lock up were never more than mid 60C.
Had 2 in one day a few days ago, so changed to stock speeds on the 3930k.
Had another one, so went back to my OC profile, and turned GPU off in Vegas......
No more probs.
Even rendering with HD Link at 100% CPU for an hour, temps in mid 70C. Everything is good.
So, maybe its my Video card, GTX 580 3gb..... I thought this may have a problem,
So I did a render last night with TMPGenc using its cuda renderer. It ran for about 90min with GPU meter on about 80% and CPU on about 95-100%..... NO problem.

Something is amiss with Vegas using GPU on my PC, it works great for preview, but something falls over when rendering. Not every time, but often enough to be not worth it.
What would be good is if I could have 2 installs of Vegas, one with GPU on and one with it off.
Or better yet, a separate watch folder and a Vegas render engine that can be set up differently to Vegas the editing app.

Dag Halvorsen
May 27th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Guys: My problem was finally solved!!!!!

After 2 weeks of constant search for a solution to this problem, which was so serious that editing was almost impossible, I have finally edited for 2 hours without any problem at all. I actually "feel" the difference: The slight latency after pressing space bar until the preview starts, is gone. SVP never hangs anymore! JIPPY!! :) :)

Thank you all for your valuable contributions to solve this problem. I appreciate every one of them very much!

Conclusion:
Go to Preferences/AudioDevice Tab: DISABLE TRACK BUFFERING IN VEGAS 11pro! Made my day! :)

Then I found another source of occasional hangups as well: Windows Media Player!
2) Close the Media Player while editing. It causes problems (at least for me...).

Dag Halvorsen
May 28th, 2012, 08:58 AM
One more problem (seems like Vegas 11 suffers many different bugs?):

After I've put some 200 clips on the timeline, Vegas starts to crash, again. It always crashes when starting or stopping playing the timeline. The above mentioned fix, helped a lot: No crashes at all, until the number of clips on the timeline reached 150-200 or more. Why?
Some guy told me that Vegas has a certain memory dedicated for buffering long GOP's on the timeline, and if this memory is full, it starts crashing. What do you think, guys?

Jeff Harper
May 28th, 2012, 10:21 AM
If you files are located on an external I'd try moving them to an internal drive to see if that has any effect.

Dag Halvorsen
May 28th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Jeff, my raw clips are on external RAID HDD. I use XDCAM EX Clipbrowser to move clips ("export MXF for NLE's") from external to internal HDD. When rapidly start/stop playback from timeline (within the same clip), I can't imagine the HDD is working at all. Surely the clip(s) is buffered in memory.

There are obviously a number of buffers in Vegas, not all of them without errors. Or what do you think?

Jeff Harper
May 28th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Dag, I don't know how Vegas works, I am technically ignorant of the workings, for the most part. I suggested moving your files to eliminate a possibility, and because your original post mentioned using an external USB drive. USB drives have been problematic for me in the past, and for others, but yours might be fine. It is the USB connection that can cause issues sometimes. Many people edit using USB drive with no issues, I know, but I personally don't like them myself. Just my take on things.

I applaud your efforts to find your solution, and appreciate you sharing things step by step as you have done. Good job, Dag.

Nicholas de Kock
May 31st, 2012, 06:42 AM
Conclusion:
Go to Preferences/AudioDevice Tab: DISABLE TRACK BUFFERING IN VEGAS 11pro! Made my day!

Dag thanks a million for this, after taking your advice my Vegas 11 hasn't crashed either! From crashing every few minutes to a stable platform is impressive. Thanks for all your research, I pretty much gave up on a solution.

Has anyone experienced audio jumping skipping randomly around during playback? Sometimes when I playback or render I get different audio clips that randomly plays, skips around with no relation to the actual audio playing. Restarting Vegas solves the problem.

Dag Halvorsen
May 31st, 2012, 12:26 PM
I'm very happy it helped, Nicholas! :)

About your audio problems, I haven't got a clue. Never experienced that. Some glitches I've had, but mainly because of lack of processor power when playback on best quality, full HD. On my old computer, I had to select "Good quality>Half" for smooth playback.

Did you try to put 3-4 hundred HD clips on your timeline?
Sadly, after some 200 clips or more, my problems are still there, but for smaller projects, the fix worked great. I'm happy it did so for you too! :)

br Dag Halvorsen

Peter Riding
May 31st, 2012, 12:27 PM
Has anyone experienced audio jumping skipping randomly around during playback? Sometimes when I playback or render I get different audio clips that randomly plays, skips around with no relation to the actual audio playing. Restarting Vegas solves the problem.

I've had that as well, manifesting itself in audio clips appearing to be out of sync where I've had projects with multiple video and audio tracks. It would happen when I click between tracks during playback trying to find the one with the best audio. Now I Pause before switching audio tracks and that seems to have done the trick. And yes sometimes a relaunch has been necessary.

Pete

Nicholas de Kock
May 31st, 2012, 01:15 PM
Dag my Vegas has been crashing non stop so I'll have give it some time to see how it handles bigger projects now. The fix works extremely well thanks.

Usually I import all my clips into one project easily 500 clips then from there I break them into smaller projects/sections. I easily break a project into 10 different project I then render each section to a lossless codec & recombined them with a smart render (no re-rendering required) as one complete project. I also find it works better to render in sections so if I decide to change something later on I don't have to render the entire project out again only the affected section.

Pete I'm usually switch between tracks myself as I edit audio, will have a look into that.

Seth Bloombaum
May 31st, 2012, 01:44 PM
Dag, Nicholas, I'm interested to know what audio cards you are running? Please also confirm, you changed this setting in V11pro - 64bit, yes?

It's very interesting that track buffering settings are implicated in this instability - I'm off to change my track buffering settings in v11-64, and will report back. However, I'm scheduled on other things today...

Nicholas de Kock
May 31st, 2012, 02:36 PM
Seth I'm running Vegas 11 Pro 64bit, using onboard audio from a high end Gigabyte motherboard, haven't seen a point to getting additional audio hardware with the current quality of onboard. I notice no performance difference with buffering turned off.

Jim Schuchmann
May 31st, 2012, 09:44 PM
Dag, I may have found the answer to our problem with very frequent crashing on playback.

When I checked the Detail Report for the crash it listed an "Unmanaged Exception 0xc0000005"

So I did a search to see if anyone else had this and what they found.

From the Sony Vegas forum:
"This may not help in your situation but it helped me with my weird Vegas 10d crashes.

Do a Vegas "reset to default values"

Close the program. Now press CTRL+SHIFT while double-clicking on the program's icon to launch it. Continue to hold the CTRL & SHIFT keys until the program is fully up and loaded.

In newer programs, you will see a window that asks "Do you want to reset all preferences to default values?" Place a checkmark next to "Delete all cached application data" and then click Yes."

I tried it and so far so good!!

Just remember to check all of your preferences as they will be reset to default values.

Hope it helps.

Matt Bigwood
June 1st, 2012, 12:20 AM
My crashes always seem to happen when I've added an effect on the video track. The most recent (see attached screen grab) was when I was closing the Color Corrector. Vegas just froze and locked and didn't even give me the option to send an error report.

NewBlue Titler was a problem in early versions of Vegas 11 for me, but since recent patches (and as long as I close the Titler window) it seems more stable.

Nicholas de Kock
June 1st, 2012, 12:57 AM
Matt the latest NewBlue Titler instantly crashes my Vegas 11 when loaded. In Vegas 10 I always had the problem of Vegas crashing during playback when I applied effects like Magic Bullet. I had to stop playback and then apply an effect.

Matt Bigwood
June 1st, 2012, 02:17 AM
Hi Nicholas, I'm using the NewBlue Titler version 120402, not the very latest version, following advice on this forum.

Edward Troxel
June 1st, 2012, 07:31 AM
Matt, build 120402 *IS* the "latest version" for Vegas Pro.

Matt Bigwood
June 1st, 2012, 08:32 AM
Edward, that's interesting because this version of Titler Pro has been more stable for me than previous versions.

Edward Troxel
June 1st, 2012, 06:29 PM
That's good to hear. There's certainly been a LOT of work going on with both new features and stability.

Dag Halvorsen
June 2nd, 2012, 09:18 AM
Dag, I may have found the answer to our problem with very frequent crashing on playback.

When I checked the Detail Report for the crash it listed an "Unmanaged Exception 0xc0000005"

So I did a search to see if anyone else had this and what they found.

From the Sony Vegas forum:
"This may not help in your situation but it helped me with my weird Vegas 10d crashes.

Do a Vegas "reset to default values"

Close the program. Now press CTRL+SHIFT while double-clicking on the program's icon to launch it. Continue to hold the CTRL & SHIFT keys until the program is fully up and loaded.

In newer programs, you will see a window that asks "Do you want to reset all preferences to default values?" Place a checkmark next to "Delete all cached application data" and then click Yes."

I tried it and so far so good!!

Just remember to check all of your preferences as they will be reset to default values.

Hope it helps.

Hello Jim!
YES! YES! YES!!!!!
Thank you soooooo much, Jim!

It works!!! After resetting all parameters and deleting all cached application data as you described, it's been rock stable, even on the big project with hundreds of clips!

I have to admit, I was quite sceptic to this procedure, but it turned out to be THE fix for me!

Thank you all for all your valuable input. Without them, I would probably have stopped using Vegas at this moment. Now I'm "back in business" and enjoy editing a lot :)

Matt Bigwood
June 3rd, 2012, 03:59 AM
Don't know why I didn't try this before, but I've downloaded the latest build (682) of Vegas 11 32-bit and I don't seem to have the problem of the FX (color corrector etc) crashing the program every time as I did with 64-bit, build 683.

Rendering times in 32-bit seem longer, but it's a small price to pay if the program is more stable.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, i5 2500K processor (no overclocking etc) and 16GB of RAM.

Christopher Young
June 4th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Peter, make sure you're trying build 120402 of NewBlue Titler Pro. It includes improved anti-aliasing over the older versions.

Edward, a question. Installed 120402 and in v11 b683 and noticed the better aliasing.

The thing is I was led to believe that NewBlue Title Pro would run in both v10 and v11. Well it does and works fine in v11 but shows the NewBlue watermark in v10 even after entering the serial number. You also can't activate Titler Pro from the Start Menu 'Manage Activation' dialogue. Don't tell me you need a new licence for v10. Do you have any suggestions?

Chris Young
Sydney