Vegas 11 Crashing! Help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 8th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas 11 Crashing! Help!

Sorry for the drama but this is absolutely frustrating. I just upgraded to Vegas 11 Pro from Veg 10 pro. I opened a Veg 10 project and converted to Veg 11. The software keeps crashinig during the application of color correction or really any fx. My system is as follows:

i7 975
12gb of ddr3
Hybrid system drive
GTX 570 with 2.5gb mem
using an external media drive USB 3.0 to USB 3.0 on system

I tried updating the graphics driver to the beta version and that seemed to help but it still has moments and I really need to get this project out the door. Anybody have any suggestions or answers for this problem?

Thanks a million for any help!
Jeff Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Vegas 11 Crashing! Help!

try moving content to internal drive?

there's also a new nvidia beta out.
Old December 8th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Leslie. That was a great common sense suggestion and I tried it but still getting that intermittent crash. Totally stinks!! Ready to call it quits with this new version of Vegas!

I welcome anymore suggestions. I really want this upgrade to work. My system is up to date with all the bells and whistles so it should not be a matter of not having the machine to run it. I did meet a user on Facebook who says that he has the same video card and has Vegas Pro 11 running smoothly. Go figure. So a solution to my woes must be out there.

Again, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Jeff

Leslie, BTW, I have the new 290 beta driver working with this card and still the same results.
Old December 9th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I was having a ton of trouble with the 64 bit version. Out of desperation, I installed the 32bit and it handled the same veg file that the 64bit version crashed on every time. The 32bit version is working perfectly in my case.

Give it a try.

Hope it works for you in your environment.
Joe Kollee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Joe! But do you loose the robust features of editing in a 64bit platform like utilizing the 12gb of ram that I have?
Old December 11th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Green View Post
Thanks Joe! But do you loose the robust features of editing in a 64bit platform like utilizing the 12gb of ram that I have?
Yes.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Well yes and no, sometimes. The short answer is common sense. Just because you have 12gb of ram, does not mean that your system is using it. You can hit cntl alt del, and look at how much ram vegas is using at any time. As you push it harder it will use more ram. The maximum ram for 32bit bits is 4gb. Windows 7 will give ram to the max a 32bit app can use when it calls for it, from the 12gb of memory. The rest of the system will run outside that apps space, so you still benefit using the 64bit os. short answer.

If you are using a 64bit plug in, then it wont work.

I am using Net Blues Titler. My project will consist of trivia questions, youtube and movie videos, and some camcorder shot video. I am using 8 tracks, and about 50-60 net blue titles per round. ( I have 8 rounds to do ) In the 64bit version, I can get about 25 titles before it crashes. 32bit version, so far so good. In my case I am using about 1gb of ram for my project. I will likely go up when it is time to render. However, once it is done, I can load the project up in the 64bit version, and render it in that. the chances that I will have to do that are likely less than 1% though...but we will see.

It does not hurt to try it, while sony works out more kinks. I am sure they will have another 2 or 3 patches over the next few months, each time making the 64bit version more and more stable. This way, you can likely get your work done, under the 32bit version still...if it works for you...

Let us know if you try it, how it works. My case may only be with the NB titler, but it is a large project that takes me about 200 hrs to complete. ( my rotary club usually sells out to it over 600 people )

P.S. Remember there are thousands of people using the 64bit version with no issue or hardly any. Sometimes, getting a new HD and re-installing windows, makes all the difference in the world. ( I suggest a new HD, for if the problem still happens, then it may be another pc of hardware causing the issues, and you might hate to redo everything for nothing, if it turns out you have bad video ram, etc... )
Joe Kollee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 03:15 AM   #8
Inner Circle

The text media in Vegas, at least the 64 bit version anyway, is beyond stupid in the resources it uses, even plain non-animated text, unless i'm doing something wrong. It is my single biggest gripe.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I am still working through the issue. I may just reformat the drive and reload windows and try try try again. I'll post an update soon. Thanks for the info guys!
Old December 16th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #10
New Boot

I wrote to Sony Support about the same issue. They told me to uninstall the NewBlue Titler Pro.

I responded back that the NewBlue Title Pro was one of the main reasons that I upgraded to SVP11 at this time. I asked if that is the end of the story...no more Titler Pro. They responded back saying they (Sony) and NewBlue are "workin' on it."

Len
Len Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #11
Regular Crew

some fixes to blue in today's update
Roy Feldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Thanks Roy, for the update. Wish they would send an email notification!
Old December 21st, 2011, 06:11 PM   #13
New Boot

Re: Vegas 11 Crashing Too

I don't know if I feel better knowing I'm not the only one having problems with the new Vegas 11. The 511 update fixed a number of crashes but I'm still getting hammered out of my mind with crashes when applying two or the fx items. Sometimes, it crashed on one when opening from a clean boot.

I note these releases start out with more bugs than a Bowery flop house and get progressively more stable as new updates come out. My question is, am I the only one having a lot of problems with Vegas 11 crashing continually? Since it was a clean install separate from 10, is there any sense in trying to reinstall it instead of going the the patched 511 release I'm using?

This isn't a big project I'm working on, simple in fact, but this thing crashes like it has a blood alcohol level of 4,5.

Any suggestions for getting this stable?

A few details:
8GB membory; mucho internal drives, Win 7.
Vegas 10 ran like a dream with no crashes and I'm using the same plugin sets as before.
Running with an ATI 5770 card that doesn't support GPU acceleration by the way.
James Dekle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 07:42 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I had to do a clean install of Windows 7 before things started to smooth out for me. Now this newest build as fixed a lot of things.
Old May 21st, 2012, 04:14 PM   #15
New Boot

My Vegas 11 constantly crashes (every 5 minutes) when starting preview from timeline (pressing spacebar). I've tried to update the NVIDIA drivers to the last beta version, with little or no improvement.
I've tried to run the vegas program in Vista compatibility mode, with some improvement, but not much.
I tried to uninstall ProTitler, disable second monitor, disable Cuda acceleration, ...no result at all.

I loose so much work for each of those frequent crashes, that it doesn't make sense to continue editing anymore. What should I do? Get my money back, and buy Vegas 10? 9? Would it help? When I had Vegas 8, it was stable.

I use a Intel i7-3930K 6-core 3,2MHz, 32GB RAM, SSD for programs and regular 500GB disc for clip files, NVIDIA GTX570 Cuda (enabled in Vegas) , win7-64bit.

Please help! I wanna continue using my favourite editing software, which is now not possible.
Dag Halvorsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...