Vegas 11 Crashing! Help! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 21st, 2012, 09:07 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Vegas 11 Crashing! Help!

I would install Windows 7 as a beginning.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:19 PM   #17
Trustee

i think he's in 7, just using vista compatibility mode?

what i really don't understand about this compat. mode is why we should even be thinking of it unless you want to play doom in 95 mode!

surely if there is something amiss in vegas / windows 7, then scs should fix it rather than expect a 64bit 'cutting-edge' program to only work reliably in an 'old' mode.
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:24 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I guess your're right Leslie, don't know what I was thinking.

Dag, try wiping your hard drive completely. Zero it out. Do NOT reinstall Windows without reformatting your hard drive completely, should take an hour or so.

This should help a lot. Your problem is severe, and it is what I would do, but then whenever I run into severe issues with Vegas it is the first thing I do.
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:25 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Crash, crash, crash, crash, crash. I'm sick of it. Back to 9.
Mervin Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:48 AM   #20
Major Player

I'm one of the "lucky" users - as some might say - who does not get any crashes at all. Pro 11, build 683, 64 bit, Windows 7, Nvidia 570 card.

However, two days ago I loaded and finished a project I'd started in v10. It crashed consistently on rendering regardless of the template or modified template.

I tried allsorts then just before thinking I'd have to re-edit pretty much from scratch in v11 I tried switching off GPU acceleration in Preferences. That worked. I've rendered to both DVD and MP4.

Yesterday I completed another project that this time had been started in V11. That has rendered fine to DVD, MP4 and BluRay., all with GPU acceleration turned on.

Both projects were just under an hour.

So it was simply an issue with skipping between v10 and v11.

I prefer to keep titles very simple. The New Blu Titler results look horrendous to my eye but hey we're all different :- ) NBT does appear to be a suspect in other users experience.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:21 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Almost sounds like you have hardware issue(s). I'd power down and pull out all the memory modules, make sure they are identical type and re install them in a different order and do a full bios memory test. You may have a faulty memory card that vegas is trying to use.

If your computer is over clocked I try more conservative settings.

Try monitoring component temps to rule out overheating.

Also un install any previous versions of vegas. Having multiple versions of vegas installed can cause problems.
Ray Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:05 AM   #22
Trustee

'Having multiple versions of vegas installed can cause problems. '

since when? you 'might' have problems if you uninstall an earlier version (i did years ago and lost a bunch of plugins), but having previous versions on the pc has never been a problem afaik.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:33 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Sadly, there have been a few instances reported in this forum, including from me, that have found it beneficial to to uninstall previous versions of Vegas, as Vegas 11 does not always like previous versions to be installed. It's been reported, I believe, that some users have been told to uninstall previous versions by Sony tech support to eliminate issues also.

The best thing to deal with crashes, IMO is to wipe your hard drive.

Vegas crashing is not likely the result of overheating or overclocking. Vegas is not particularly demanding in this regard. Crashing is common with Vegas 11 and while for some the cause may be system issues, Vegas is just not as stable for many as it used to be.

I had MANY issues with Vegas crashing from the first release of 11. Only upon this last release did the crashes stop.

I wiped my hard drive clean, reinstalled everything including the newerst version of Vegas, and everything is fine now.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:07 AM   #24
Sponsor: JET DV

Peter, make sure you're trying build 120402 of NewBlue Titler Pro. It includes improved anti-aliasing over the older versions.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:11 PM   #25
New Boot

It happens regardless of where on the timeline I put the cursor, but only when I press spacebar to START preview (and on some very rare occasion also when I press spacebar to STOP preview).
And yes, it seems to come more often if I press spacebar rather quickly after placing the cursor on the timeline, than if I wait a little, but still, it happens at least once every 10 minutes of editing (once every 20-30 times I press spacebar). If I open a project and don't edit anything, I can star/stop playing and move around with the cursor many more times, maybe 100 times or more, before it crashes.

Even rendering audio only, lead to immediate crash, since I had done a couple of edits before rendering. Opening the project again and rendering immediately, went well without crash.

I really feel that this has nothing to do with graphic card at all (since it crashed even when rendering audio only). I tried changing audio device type (in prefs) from Microsoft Sound Mapper to Windows Classic Wave Driver. I feel it may have helped somewhat, but again, it crashed eventually, and it's very difficult to tell if the crash probability/frequence was reduced or not. I have sent (from Vegas) at least 40-50 crash reports to Sony, but no response there, no response here, and no response in any other forum (MANY people have different kinds of crash problems with Vegas, one of them being instant crash when using GPU accelerated FX/transitions, which (of course) also I have...).

Anyone who could help out, would be VERY much appreciated!! :)

PS: My computer is only 1 month old, very few programs installed besides Windows office, and the Vegas program is installed on the boot disc (SSD), and the project on a regular hard drive from my old machine, that never caused problems. Computer never hangs. Only Vegas...
Dag Halvorsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:33 AM   #26
Sponsor: JET DV

Dag, out of curiosity, what happens if you right-click the Vegas icon, choose Properties, and then change the "Compatibility Mode" to Windows 7?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 02:16 PM   #27
Major Player

Dag who really knows? I have a high-end i7 workstation and Vegas crashes all the time every few minutes, I get around it by literally saving every few seconds out of habit, sub-consciously. On my Dell XPS i7 notebook Vegas is rock solid. I can't explain it, it's a real pain for sure.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #28
New Boot

I have an i7 machine with GeForce GTX570 (driver 296.10).
Tried windows7 compatibility mode (and Vista mode), but no difference...
Dag Halvorsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #29
Trustee

FWIW,
Ive just noticed this, might be no great revelation to some but....
I've always felt a bit sketchy about Vegas' GPU benefits, but this seems to confirm it.
Over the last month I've been pushing Vegas pretty hard, 3 versions open, rendering while editing etc, Its performed pretty well overall, but I was getting the occasional BSD while rendering ( not just Vegas white screen, whole PC locks then blue screen with "machine check exception").
I was putting it down to my OCing, even though temps at lock up were never more than mid 60C.
Had 2 in one day a few days ago, so changed to stock speeds on the 3930k.
Had another one, so went back to my OC profile, and turned GPU off in Vegas......
No more probs.
Even rendering with HD Link at 100% CPU for an hour, temps in mid 70C. Everything is good.
So, maybe its my Video card, GTX 580 3gb..... I thought this may have a problem,
So I did a render last night with TMPGenc using its cuda renderer. It ran for about 90min with GPU meter on about 80% and CPU on about 95-100%..... NO problem.

Something is amiss with Vegas using GPU on my PC, it works great for preview, but something falls over when rendering. Not every time, but often enough to be not worth it.
What would be good is if I could have 2 installs of Vegas, one with GPU on and one with it off.
Or better yet, a separate watch folder and a Vegas render engine that can be set up differently to Vegas the editing app.
Old May 27th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #30
New Boot

Guys: My problem was finally solved!!!!!

After 2 weeks of constant search for a solution to this problem, which was so serious that editing was almost impossible, I have finally edited for 2 hours without any problem at all. I actually "feel" the difference: The slight latency after pressing space bar until the preview starts, is gone. SVP never hangs anymore! JIPPY!! :) :)

Thank you all for your valuable contributions to solve this problem. I appreciate every one of them very much!

Conclusion:
Go to Preferences/AudioDevice Tab: DISABLE TRACK BUFFERING IN VEGAS 11pro! Made my day! :)

Then I found another source of occasional hangups as well: Windows Media Player!
2) Close the Media Player while editing. It causes problems (at least for me...).

Last edited by Dag Halvorsen; May 27th, 2012 at 06:27 AM.
Dag Halvorsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...