View Full Version : Sony NEX-FS700 - It's real

Pages : 1 [2]

Brian Drysdale
April 9th, 2012, 12:42 AM
I'm already planning for a slowmo-project now :-p

There are time limitations on the length of your slow motion shot, plus the quality isn't quite as good, due to how they they achieve the slow mo.

Like a lot of things, it has to be appropriate. otherwise it just becomes an affectation.

Walter Brokx
April 9th, 2012, 08:53 AM
There are time limitations on the length of your slow motion shot, plus the quality isn't quite as good, due to how they they achieve the slow mo.

I know about the time limitations.
But you are most welcome to elaborate on how they achieve the slow mo and why it affects quality.

Like a lot of things, it has to be appropriate. otherwise it just becomes an affectation.

Lol, are you trying to explain that story and content should dictate the techniques that are being used? ;-)

(BTW, it will be a project to try and test the slow mo of the FS700.)

Brian Drysdale
April 9th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Adam Wilt has been running tests on the slow motion, I imagine he'll put them on line at some stage. He was testing a pre-production camera and found it slightly less sharp than at normal frame rate, although it could be an issue with the camera's status.

There seems to be some line skipping at the higher frame rates seemingly the missing lines are interpolated back, but they look "better than they should".

I'm sure the slow motion will work extremely well for most people's requirements.

Felix Steinhardt
April 9th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Ooops! Thatīs a real disappointment and might be a deal breaker for me.
I assumed the 240 fps are maximum quality. So itīs just another mode to play with but nothing to use seriously...

Murray Christian
April 9th, 2012, 04:40 PM
In a new record for feature disappointment, high res high speed above 60fps and under 10 grand is out before the camera is even on sale because its not true 1080 at 480fps.

If someone were serious about high speed I'd think they were already in the market for much more expensive specialty gear anyway and not expecting anything from a lowly video camera.

Brian Drysdale
April 9th, 2012, 04:51 PM
In practise, at the 240 fps I suspect you wouldn't notice the difference in quality. I gather the drop off was very slight on his initial test, so unless you're filming test charts the slow motion is the key feature. It's at 480 fps they use the the line skipping.

Brian Drysdale
April 10th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Here the Adam Wilt slow motion test I mentioned, together with some thoughts:

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/awilt/story/an_nex-fs700_amuse-bouche/

I gather the camera was quite power hungry, perhaps it's because of the processing of the slow motion material.

Andrew Stone
April 10th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Adam Wilt's article referenced above explains the business about how it copes with all the data in slomo. Apparently the camera uses line skipping (a la DSLR) to achieve the high frame rate.

Jean-Philippe Archibald
April 10th, 2012, 09:36 AM
The very high (480, 960) .

There is no line skipping in the 120 and 240 FPS mode.

Walter Brokx
April 11th, 2012, 03:57 AM
In practise, at the 240 fps I suspect you wouldn't notice the difference in quality. I gather the drop off was very slight on his initial test, so unless you're filming test charts the slow motion is the key feature. It's at 480 fps they use the the line skipping.

And this is no surprise as the press release already mentioned that 480fps won't be full resolution.
It's like a lot of highspeedcameras: there is a maximum bandwidth of data. More fps can only be achieved by dropping resolution.

Is there any 120fps and 240fps imagequalitytest comparing it to 30fps or 24fps?

I'm also curious about noise at higher iso/dB, since that will tell us more about low-light performance and the abilty to get a deeper DoF when needed.
(Sony: send me a cam to test it :-p)

Walter Brokx
April 11th, 2012, 05:27 AM
From the livechat with Sony (which is happening now):

"The FS700 can give your 4:2:2 8bit. And no picture degradation at Super Slow-mo at 240 fps. Faster scanning, you will see degraded image but it is good for analysing motion or Standard Definition video."

"When working at Full HD 24p, if you want to keep Full HD resolution, you can reach up to 240 fps. For higher frame rates, resolution is lower than FullHD: 1920X432 at 480 fps during 9 seconds, 1920x216 at 960 fps during 19 seconds"

"For S-log type mode, FS700 doesn't have it but it has a preset for F3 users to match the colour. For log, you can find PictureProfiles of customers on the web such as "G-Log"."

Felix Steinhardt
April 11th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Not entirely true for the pre-production model.

FS700 tests at Meets The Eye - YouTube

24p and 60p (25 and 50 should be the same) has more resolution than 120 and 240. There is indeed a slight drop off. But it is still a prototype.