View Full Version : Any "POVers" going to NAB?

Lynne Whelden
April 2nd, 2012, 07:49 AM
If so, would you make it a point to go to GoPro's booth and pick their brains about when the Hero 3 is coming out?
Better yet, wine and dine them and persuade them to bring out from under their table the actual prototype for you to glimpse!

Bill Davis
April 2nd, 2012, 08:51 PM
I'm actually more excited to see the WiFi Remote backpack.

Being able to simultaneously start and stop a few dozen (or even 50!) POV cameras from an iPad is more interesting to me than a few new features - whatever those might be.

But we'll see.

Ian Newland
April 3rd, 2012, 06:19 PM
The product description on the GoPro site changed in the last few days.
Initially it mentioned live streaming HD. blah, blah.

Last week, it was 'live streaming at reduced resolution' for smartphones, tablets and laptops".

Now, there's no mention of streaming, and it just has 'live preview for smartphones and tablets'.

These are questions i would be asking at NAB. GoPro Wi-Fi BacPac & Remote (http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/wi-fi-bacpac-remote-combo/)

Lynne Whelden
April 16th, 2012, 05:31 PM
So apparently there's no changes in lenses or controls, but more of a firmware update to eliminate artifacts and create a "film look."
Anyone had a look at this new old camera?

Ian Newland
April 16th, 2012, 06:02 PM
No, it eventually will be a new Pro line model with interchangeable lenses, manual controls, 720p at 120fps and 35mbps h264 data rate. Nothing to do with a film look.

The FW will update the current HD2 camera with the 35mbps feature, flat color, no in-camera sharpening/de-noise/etc, 24p.

Lynne Whelden
April 16th, 2012, 07:11 PM
The simple addition of "zebra" would be a huge step forward.

Ian Newland
April 16th, 2012, 11:30 PM

Not on a pissy little backpac screen it won't and zebras don't normally extend to external monitors.

John Wiley
April 19th, 2012, 01:11 AM

What's the sense in having zebra's when you can't adjust exposure anyway? Espesially considering that probably 90-95% of people don't even use a LCD backpack with their gopro

Lynne Whelden
April 19th, 2012, 05:18 AM
You're right, it would only make sense if the Hero 3 actually materializes.
I've been testing out the Canon Powershot S100 as an alternative "wearable" video camera and even though it has a much nicer screen than the GP back pack and even though it has some manual controls for iris and focus...it doesn't have "zebra!"
So close and yet so far.