View Full Version : Post: MTS, Clipwrap, 5DtoRGB, What do you do?

Peter Jordan
August 5th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Hi friends, I'm having a great time shooting with the FS700 but a pretty horrible time trying to edit it on my Mac.

I'm fine editing in either Premiere CS6 or FCP 7 but can't seem to get the media to a format that either can handle. I'm trying to preserve the highlight and shadow detail from getting nuked by a QT transcode.

I've tried using ClipWrap (rewrapped files) in both and the playback is too sluggish to be usable. I've tried 5DtoRGB Batch and it crashes so often I haven't been able to transcode more than a few clips all weekend (on OS 10.7.4).

What are you guys doing in post?

Thanks!
Peter

Chris Medico
August 5th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I'm using AMA in Avid Media Composer to go through clips then transcode them inside Media Composer. So far they look good. I am going to do some controlled tests to see how much gamma shift/clipping this workflow has.

Olof Ekbergh
August 5th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I just use FCPX to "import from Camera". It rewraps the files and they can be edited as H.264's in FCPX.

I have also used ClipWrap to rewrap not transcode mts files that were handed to me w/o the proper file structure. Those clips work fine as well in FCPX and the super whites are there in both cases. And can easily be CC'd back in FCPX. In fact I have really grown to like FCPX, it is super fast and there is no rendering even with 2 or 3 secondary as well as primary CC. I do have a fast computer with 16GB ram and a fast TB RAID. Slow and old Macs are a pain with FCPX.

If you continue to have this problem maybe you should use the cinegamma 2 setting while shooting, then all the values will be below 100 and not clipped.

Peter Jordan
August 7th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks All, seems like the 5DtoRGB errors I was having were related to an external hard disk. Running everything off the internal fixed the problem, including MTS playback in Premiere.

Thanks guys!