Post: MTS, Clipwrap, 5DtoRGB, What do you do? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old August 5th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #1
New Boot

Hi friends, I'm having a great time shooting with the FS700 but a pretty horrible time trying to edit it on my Mac.

I'm fine editing in either Premiere CS6 or FCP 7 but can't seem to get the media to a format that either can handle. I'm trying to preserve the highlight and shadow detail from getting nuked by a QT transcode.

I've tried using ClipWrap (rewrapped files) in both and the playback is too sluggish to be usable. I've tried 5DtoRGB Batch and it crashes so often I haven't been able to transcode more than a few clips all weekend (on OS 10.7.4).

What are you guys doing in post?

Thanks!
Peter
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Post: MTS, Clipwrap, 5DtoRGB, What do you do?

I'm using AMA in Avid Media Composer to go through clips then transcode them inside Media Composer. So far they look good. I am going to do some controlled tests to see how much gamma shift/clipping this workflow has.
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

I just use FCPX to "import from Camera". It rewraps the files and they can be edited as H.264's in FCPX.

I have also used ClipWrap to rewrap not transcode mts files that were handed to me w/o the proper file structure. Those clips work fine as well in FCPX and the super whites are there in both cases. And can easily be CC'd back in FCPX. In fact I have really grown to like FCPX, it is super fast and there is no rendering even with 2 or 3 secondary as well as primary CC. I do have a fast computer with 16GB ram and a fast TB RAID. Slow and old Macs are a pain with FCPX.

If you continue to have this problem maybe you should use the cinegamma 2 setting while shooting, then all the values will be below 100 and not clipped.
Old August 7th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks All, seems like the 5DtoRGB errors I was having were related to an external hard disk. Running everything off the internal fixed the problem, including MTS playback in Premiere.

Thanks guys!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta