View Full Version : Tripod for slider

Tariq Peter
August 10th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Can anybody reccomend a good Tripod to accompany my 501HDV Pro head, which will stop my slider from titlting when moving my camera right to left.

I currently own the 055xp pro manfrotto Thanks

Colin Rowe
August 10th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Tariq.
If you have the tripod head locked down, it should not move.
How long is the slider ?
How heavy is the camera ?

Mark Williams
August 10th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I have my 28" Igus slider mounted to a Manfrotto 577 quick release which is attached to a Davis & Sanford ATP All Terrain Tripod without Head approx. $125.00. It has a 35 lbs load capacity. I also use it with my jib.

Oren Arieli
August 10th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Have you considered getting a cheap monopod and using it to support the end of the slider? Might be cheaper than getting a heavy-duty tripod.

Tariq Peter
August 11th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Tariq.
If you have the tripod head locked down, it should not move.
How long is the slider ?
How heavy is the camera ?

80 cm and 5Dmk3 with 24-70 and rode Mic. its locked as tight as possible, but the slider still tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R60tMSlCaTE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This video gives a good example.I also can't use light stands for support or monopod because when shooting weddings I move very quickly around the venue to capture each table of guests. I sometimes shoot with around 400-500 guests and the clients want each person on film. the easiest way for me to do that is to go to each table with a sliderr and wide angle and do a quick tracking shot.

Les Wilson
August 11th, 2012, 07:49 AM
I use a Sachtler DA-75/2D ENG which requires a 75mm half ball:
Manfrotto 520BALL 75mm Half Ball 520BALL B&H Photo Video

Clive McLaughlin
September 6th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Hi Tariq,
Looking at the video, somethings not level. I'm not sure whether its slider thats not level, or the camera recording thats not level. I honestly dont see much of a bend in the slider as you move to the edges.

It does seem to have some wobble though at the edges in the test footage.

This is something i'm worried about. Up till now, i've only done slider shots on the ground or a flat surface. Although lately I'm starting to think there would be benefits from having my slider on the tripod.

If it's the wobble that bothers you, I'm sure a stabilizer plugin would help in post.