View Full Version : Poor sound isolation for standard mic

Bob Prichard
September 12th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Just got my FS700 yesterday and the first problem I noticed was the very poor sound isolation for the microphone. Even the slightest brush or bump of the body or tripod was picked up by the mic. Don't have this problem with my Canon XF305.

I'll be using the camera mostly for nature shoots, so I'd like to use this mic if the sound quality turns out to be OK. I do have a Sennheiser, but with the mic mount being so far forward, I am afraid the front of the mic would stick into the picture.

Anyone have a work around for this sound isolation problem?

Anyone use an alternate shotgun?

Morton Molyneux
September 12th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Hi Bob,

I haven't noticed any problems with sound insulation on the standard mic on my FS700, no different than any of my other cameras.

I also shoot a lot of nature and agriculture. I had not tried a Sennheiser on the camera until you mentioned it. So I tried it with a Tokina 11-16 zoom and it does end up in the frame if you use the froont of the handle cold shoe. But after moving the mic mount to the cold shoe on top of the handel it was out of the way.

cheers

Morton

Bob Prichard
September 12th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Morton,

Any improvement in sound quality with the Sennheiser?

Still having a lot of problems with the standard mic picking up any contact with the body.

Anyone else having this problem?

Morton Molyneux
September 12th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I did not try recording any audio with the Sennheiser. Just checked to see if it came in frame with my widest lens.

I don't use it mounted on camera. All my cables are quite long. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll try it and see. But AS I said I haven't noticed any problem with the Sony mic.

cheers

Morton