Poor sound isolation for standard mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old September 12th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Poor sound isolation for standard mic

Just got my FS700 yesterday and the first problem I noticed was the very poor sound isolation for the microphone. Even the slightest brush or bump of the body or tripod was picked up by the mic. Don't have this problem with my Canon XF305.

I'll be using the camera mostly for nature shoots, so I'd like to use this mic if the sound quality turns out to be OK. I do have a Sennheiser, but with the mic mount being so far forward, I am afraid the front of the mic would stick into the picture.

Anyone have a work around for this sound isolation problem?

Anyone use an alternate shotgun?
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Poor sound isolation for standard mic

Hi Bob,

I haven't noticed any problems with sound insulation on the standard mic on my FS700, no different than any of my other cameras.

I also shoot a lot of nature and agriculture. I had not tried a Sennheiser on the camera until you mentioned it. So I tried it with a Tokina 11-16 zoom and it does end up in the frame if you use the froont of the handle cold shoe. But after moving the mic mount to the cold shoe on top of the handel it was out of the way.

cheers

Morton
Morton Molyneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Morton,

Any improvement in sound quality with the Sennheiser?

Still having a lot of problems with the standard mic picking up any contact with the body.

Anyone else having this problem?
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I did not try recording any audio with the Sennheiser. Just checked to see if it came in frame with my widest lens.

I don't use it mounted on camera. All my cables are quite long. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll try it and see. But AS I said I haven't noticed any problem with the Sony mic.

cheers

Morton
Morton Molyneux is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta