View Full Version : Vegas 12 discount upgrade

Howard Harrelson
October 6th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Hello everyone,

I received a discount offer from SCS last night. It's a significant discount on the cost of an upgrade.

Here it is: Sony Creative Software (http://recp.rm05.net/servlet/MailView?m=4812468&r=MTA2MDAzNDYxNDIS1&j=Mjg5NTI1OTA5S0&mt=1)

Matt Sharp
October 6th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I tried the links on that page, comes up with the normal price for me. I'd snap it up in a heartbeat at that discounted price though.

Ron Evans
October 6th, 2012, 05:46 PM
That is the upgrade price. You need to go to the upgrades page if you have a current version of Vegas Pro.

Ron Evans

Adam Stanislav
October 6th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Ron, if you click on the Buy Now button on the upgrade page, it takes you to the full price non-upgrade sales page. Same with the email. I ended up calling SCS by phone and ordering the discounted upgrade that way.

I did so on Thursday with the hope of having it delivered the next day (I am in Wisconsin, just like SCS), alas they did not ship it until late Friday, so I will have to wait till Monday to get it. Not a big deal, actually, since my video card is dying and if I go full screen my computer freezes. I ordered a new GTX 630 with 4 G memory to replace it, so it does not matter to me when I get my Vegas until the new video card is in my computer.

Chris Barcellos
October 6th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Download version downloads very quickly. I haven't had a boxed version since Vegas 8. Given the continuous updating, doesn't really make sense to order the boxed version. Of course, I am blessed to be living in an area with great internet access.

Adam Stanislav
October 6th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Personal preference. I like to have a hard copy of everything. So I buy the boxed version. Even though I have downloaded it even before I ordered the box.

Ron Evans
October 6th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Ron, if you click on the Buy Now button on the upgrade page, it takes you to the full price non-upgrade sales page. Same with the email. I ended up calling SCS by phone and ordering the discounted upgrade that way.

I did so on Thursday with the hope of having it delivered the next day (I am in Wisconsin, just like SCS), alas they did not ship it until late Friday, so I will have to wait till Monday to get it. Not a big deal, actually, since my video card is dying and if I go full screen my computer freezes. I ordered a new GTX 630 with 4 G memory to replace it, so it does not matter to me when I get my Vegas until the new video card is in my computer.

Yes, but if you go to that page, click buy now and then click the Shop upgrades button on the top of the next page it will take you to an upgrade page where you can select the upgrade appropriate for you present Sony product.

Ron Evans

Renton Maclachlan
October 6th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Personal preference. I like to have a hard copy of everything. So I buy the boxed version. Even though I have downloaded it even before I ordered the box.I buy the boxed version so I have something physical to sell on when the next version arrives...must put v11 up for auction...

Jeff Harper
October 6th, 2012, 09:20 PM
When I sell mine the buyer only needs a serial number and the license transferred, like others I find the disc obsolete, I back up everything twice. I have software that is 14 years old I have been carrying around, but I'm a fanatic for backup.

All Vegas downloads are available online for years, really no need to even keep a copy, but I do anyway, just so I have it to install as needed.

Chris Barcellos
October 6th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Saves a lot of trees for program buyers to take electronic delivery of programs and manuals.

Adam Stanislav
October 7th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Yes, but if you go to that page, click buy now and then click the Shop upgrades button on the top of the next page it will take you to an upgrade page where you can select the upgrade appropriate for you present Sony product.

Well, that seems rather convoluted to me. Once I saw the full price, I had no intention of clicking buy on that page. I wonder how many people get discouraged by it and decide to wait for the next version. They need to rethink that design! LOL.

Gene Gajewski
October 7th, 2012, 03:49 PM
If you've been around awhile, you note that Sony always offers an upgrade. Sometimes, they place links to it in the product description when doing an initial promo offer, but there's always links available on th e My Account page.

Dennis Vogel
October 8th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Saves a lot of trees for program buyers to take electronic delivery of programs and manuals.

Plastic trees, maybe. ;-)

I don't believe Sony has shipped real, paper manuals with Vegas (or any other product) for years.

D

Chris Barcellos
October 8th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Still costs fuel to and paper to package box sets. But I do understand the feeling of having an official box on you shelf....

Nicholas de Kock
October 9th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I agree 100%, I'm completely digital. I hate boxes, I hate the clutter, dust they add to my office and I hate having to throw away all these boxes. I wish consumers would grow up and realise that the pretty box that gets thrown away right after we open the product has an environmental impact that is non-sustainable. If it must be boxed give it to me in a recycled brown box, I don't care for glitter.

Edward Troxel
October 9th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I guess I just don't understand the need for the box. Download the installer. Create a text file with the proper serial numbers, Burn them all to a CD and... instant "hard copy".

The last boxed copy I got was either Vegas 2 or 3 and you had to feel the weight of the box in order to determine if it contained a manual as the older boxes did and the newer boxes did not as they were being phased out at that time.

Renton Maclachlan
October 9th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I want a box/CD because I think it's nice when reselling to have something physical to show in the auction and to pass on to the buyer. It may be a little thing but it seems like the buyer is 'getting something'...

Edward Troxel
October 10th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Thing is... when purchasing the upgrade you don't get a box anyway. You get a plastic bag with everything stuck inside it. Or at least that's the way it was the last time I purchased the "box" version.

Mark Watson
October 10th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Vegas Pro 11 (the upgrade) came in a box. I don't always have access to high speed internet, so I usually order the box. With version 8, the Agreement states you can have it on as many as 3 machines. With version 11, I couldn't find that verbage anywhere. Haven't asked Sony about it yet, so for now, I still have version 8 on three machines. Anybody know if they did in fact cut out that 3 machine allowance?

Edward Troxel
October 10th, 2012, 01:25 PM
As far as I know, the license has not changed in regards to how it can be used and where it can be installed.

Dennis Vogel
October 10th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I like the boxed version, too, for one primary reason. It's a good place to keep the cards with the serial numbers. Yeah, I know I can get the serial numbers for Vegas products online. But the ones for the bonus software that comes with various upgrades (like NB Titler) are the ones that often get misplaced.

D

Mike Kujbida
October 11th, 2012, 04:49 AM
From the Sony Knowledgebase at https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/455/kw/install%20on%20more%20than%20one%20machine/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0OTk1MjI5MS9zaWQvUWZVOUFyOGw%3D

Can I run my Sony Creative Software application on more than one PC?

Our licensing agreement permits you to install the software on as many machines as you own, as long as you are not running the programs at the same time. For instance, you can install the software on your home machine and on your laptop. You are not allowed to install the software on multiple machines if you are going to be using them simultaneously, such as in a home studio setting. If you are going to run the software concurrently on more than one machine, you would need to purchase a separate license for each computer.

Note that when you install the software on a different computer you will need to complete the registration process again. Register the software as you did the first time to unlock the program on each machine. You can register online directly within the software or on our website through our online form.

Mark Watson
October 11th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Thanks Mike. I've installed the v12 upgrade on one laptop and test driving it now! It's very encouraging to see that Sony is working on addding more features and keeps coming out with these regular updates. Still can't capture from my HDV cams, but I have another laptop which still works for that. I think it's a Windows or hardware issue.

Mark

Adam Stanislav
October 17th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Thing is... when purchasing the upgrade you don't get a box anyway.

Yes you do!

Edward Troxel
October 18th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Well... I did say that's the way it was the last time I purchased the upgrade...