View Full Version : Overview from new owner Ed Betz

Ed Betz
December 1st, 2012, 05:03 PM
I've had the camera for about a week, and so far I'm very impressed. Overall I'm a fan. I've been shooting all my video assignments with a Canon 5D and 7D, but with the EA50, I don't think I'll be using the Canons much for video anymore.

If you're one of the people who want to know about noise and the new NEX-EA50 - and how it compares to the Canon 5D and 7D, I've made a short video that shows all three side by side. Have a look, Compare NEX EA50 to Canon 5D and 7D low light on Vimeo

If anyone has any specific questions that I can answer, or some kind of comparison, or anything of the kind, fire away, I'll be happy to give it my best shot.

Ed

Don Bloom
December 1st, 2012, 05:25 PM
Ed,
thanks for the footage and comparison. I wanted to ask about the NEX-EA50. first have you used it on your shoulder yet and if so, how is the balance. It looks like it would be front heavy. Coming from full sized cameras with good balance I'm a bit concerned about that. Also, the pics I've seen show a 1/4-20 threaded placement on the rear of the top handle. Could you measure out the distance from that to the outside of the area for the FMU128 and to the rear of the camera. I ask because it looks like the only way to hang a wireless receiver on the camera without velcro is a bracket of sorts from the top hole. Lastly, the reds in the sample footage of the 50, looked a bit orange compared to the other footage. Were the settings you used straight out of the box or did you make and adjustments.
I'm quite intriqued by this camera and since you're the only person around here with one I thought I'd take advantage of the opportunity to get some questions answered.
Thanks

Noa Put
December 1st, 2012, 05:55 PM
first have you used it on your shoulder yet and if so, how is the balance.

Just looking at the pictures from Alister Chapmans blog I can only conclude it's not a shoulder camera at all so all the weight will be in your hands, much like the Canon xl2 formfactor.

Don Bloom
December 1st, 2012, 06:30 PM
Noa, I can see that except the shoulder pad of the NEX is different enough from the Canons and even the EX3 that the question is worth asking of someone who actually owns the camera.I can see from the pictures that there is weight on the front end of the camera but I'm wondering how much balance the camera has when used on the shoulder.

Ed Betz
December 1st, 2012, 06:57 PM
Don Bloom

Ed, I wanted to ask about the NEX-EA50. first have you used it on your shoulder yet and if so, how is the balance.

The camera is front heavy, although heavy isn't accurate, it's very light. There are threaded holes 1/4 20 on the slide out shoulder pad, I've seen photos where a weight is installed there if you find it uncomfortable. I find the shoulder pad to provide extra stability, but I do wish it was more balanced.

Also, the pics I've seen show a 1/4-20 threaded placement on the rear of the top handle.
Actually it comes with a utility shoe and 4 screws. You can put your wireless there, or in the front if not using a light.

Could you measure out the distance from that to the outside of the area for the FMU128 and to the rear of the camera.
About 3.75 inches from the FMU to the center hole you reference, I'm not really sure what dimension you're looking for...

Lastly, the reds in the sample footage of the 50, looked a bit orange compared to the other footage. Were the settings you used straight out of the box or did you make and adjustments.
Sorry, I did match the white balance, but I know I've messed with color settings on the Canons, so it's really hard to say, I can assure you , I've had no issue with colors being accurate.

The are all sorts of tone adjustments, I just haven't played with any of them.
If I can answer anything else, let me know.
Ed

Don Bloom
December 1st, 2012, 10:18 PM
Ed,
Thank you for that information. It is very helpful and allows me to make an informed decision about what I'm going to do. The dimension you gave is fine, I now know that a bracket I have for my wireless (it's an AT1821 dual channel receiver and frankly is kind of big and about 15 oz with the batterys in it) can be attached to the rear 1/4-20 and the bracket will hang behind the area for the FMU. I didn't know about the hole in the shoulder pad, that might also be an option. I should have realized the WB was off a bit but better to ask and know for sure.
Thanks for the update, I think I'm now leaning towards the NEX-EA50U.
I might even be able to fashion a way to mount my ENG rig to the camera which then allows me to use the spring rod for stabilization and relief from the weight. I use it on just about every ful size camera I use for stability and weight relief. Been using it for about 7 years and don't leave home without it.
Thanks again

Steven Digges
December 2nd, 2012, 03:39 PM
Ed,

Have you looked into an adapter for your Canon lenses for the EA50 yet? Or do you have one already? Your video says the Sony was at F2.8. I thought F3.5 was max for the kit lens? Did I miss something? I am almost certain I am going to pick up the Sony, but I have 5 "L' series Canon lenses. The Sony is so new I can not find an adapter I am sure will work. Metabones makes one that might work, but I'm not sure?

Sony NEX System : Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter II (http://www.metabones.com/sony/buy-eos-nex-adapter)

Steve

Ed Betz
December 2nd, 2012, 06:27 PM
Ed,

Have you looked into an adapter for your Canon lenses for the EA50 yet? Or do you have one already? Your video says the Sony was at F2.8. I thought F3.5 was max for the kit lens? Did I miss something? I am almost certain I am going to pick up the Sony, but I have 5 "L' series Canon lenses. The Sony is so new I can not find an adapter I am sure will work. Metabones makes one that might work, but I'm not sure?

Sony NEX System : Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter II (http://www.metabones.com/sony/buy-eos-nex-adapter)

Steve

Yes, that's the adapter I'm using. I doesn't autofocus in video mode, and in still mode the af is painfully slow (it's almost instant in still mode with the kit lens) , but the iris works which is more important to me. I don't really like af with a video camera. I believe that was with the 85 1.8 at 2.8.

Ed Betz
December 2nd, 2012, 06:34 PM
Let me add, I have lots of canon glass, from a 14 2.8 up to a 300 2.8. So far they've all worked well. I also bought a cheap sony A adapter which works with minolta glass. I picked up a 50mm 1.4 minolta on eBay for about 80 bucks and its tack sharp and will be a nice addition. There are all sorts of adapters available as you probably know, for many mounts, which makes bargain shopping on eBay a joy. Older Nikon and canon fd glass can be adapted too. Lots of choices... If you're looking to af with the camera in video mode, try the sony a lenses with the lea2 adapter. It uses phase detection, and I understand it works in video mode really well..

Steven Digges
December 2nd, 2012, 10:04 PM
Thank you Ed!!!

You just pushed my decision over the top. Now that I know for sure I can use my Canon glass it is a no brainier for me. With the Metabones adapter do you know the conversion factor? I think it's 1.6X with 35mm lenses then you add an adapter? And how much light loss? With most good adapters it is around one stop?

You made me happy. I have enough $$$ invested in Canon glass to far exceed the price of the camera. I am not worried about AF, I can focus. My concern was that some of my lenses don't even have a manual aperture ring. Thank you!

Steve

Ed Betz
December 3rd, 2012, 07:26 AM
I don't believe that there is any light loss, there is no glass in the adapter, it's just an adapter to change the mount. It's not like a 1.4 converter where you loose light, it's really just a small spacer with a different mount.

Yes, the problem with Canon glass is the aperture. The adapter takes care of that. I believe that APS-C is something like 1.5 or 1.6, I'm not really sure, so your long glass gets longer, the wide glass doesn't get as wide. I have a Tokina 11-16 and it becomes about a 17-24 (plus you get the 2X digital zoom - making it a 34-48).

If I can answer anything else for anyone, fire away

Ed

Ron Evans
December 3rd, 2012, 08:21 AM
Ed, could you tell me if Touch focus is in the menus ? I see from the specs that face detection and face touch is there but I assume camera must be in autofocus for this to work. I use touch focus on all my Sony Handycams to set focus for the unattended cameras and my wife uses touch focus a lot when she uses her camera for closups. All the consumer Sony's seem to have this feature. Specifically focus is in manual, touch focus enabled in the menus so that point touched on the LCD is then brought into focus. Really useful for rack focus and to make sure that things do not go out of focus with lighting changes on stage etc but auto focus is still available for the point needed without changing camera position or zoom. It is a feature I would love on my NX5U.

Ron Evans

Ed Betz
December 3rd, 2012, 08:31 AM
There is a function, that I haven't used, for Spot Focus. It can be assigned to one of the function buttons. According to the book, 1) Press the Menu Button, 2 Select Camera Set-Spot Ficus with the Sel/Push EXEC dial D. 3) Touch the point to be focused on the LCD screen.

Of course this would require autofocus lenses

There is also Face Detection which works in a similar fashion.

Ron Evans
December 3rd, 2012, 08:40 AM
Excellent. That makes the camera very attractive for my uses. I realize it will only work for autofocus lenses but most of the time it would be with the stock lens. It means my wife could use as well as give me an alternate type of camera to my NX5U. Have to save up now !!!! I keep waiting to find the user manual somewhere but has not appeared on any of the Sony sites yet.

Ron Evans

Ed Betz
December 3rd, 2012, 09:01 AM
Well, the users manual is right here by my computer, so if I can look anything up for you, let me know.

Ed

Stephen Gradin
December 3rd, 2012, 04:12 PM
Ed, let me know if you can find out in users manual if HDMI output is 4:2:2 and if it is 8 bit or 10 bit.

Also, the spot focus thing folks are bringing up, does this supposedly work for all auto focus lenses, or just sony auto focus lenses? And, if one is using the adapter for Sony alpha lenses, does this adapter communicate information to and from the the camera/lens or is it simply a mechanical adapter, no electrical communication at all?

Ed Betz
December 3rd, 2012, 05:55 PM
The manual doesn't say about the HDMI, at least as far as I can find,
I have the Metabones adapter for canon, so, I can only comment on what I've read about the sony adapter, it seems to actually work af with the sony lenses using phase detection, super fast, much faster then the nex lenses, this thanks to the translucent mirror and af sensor built in.. If you find out more, let us know.
Ed

Chris Hurd
December 22nd, 2012, 08:42 AM
Split out from EA50 announcement thread.

Drew Wallner
December 23rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
Ed, let me know if you can find out in users manual if HDMI output is 4:2:2 and if it is 8 bit or 10 bit.

Woah, dude, is the HDMI output optionally clean? I presumed it would have some random matting around it, or display stats that you can't entirely turn off, etc. I guess maybe that's just brain damage I have from DSLR research. Man you just gave me visions of solving the balance "concern" completely by hanging a recorder off the back! ;)

Peter Rush
December 30th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Ed can you shed some light (pun intended ) into how it handles in bright daylight - I'm almost convinced on getting one of these but lack of ND filters is a worry for me - I don't want the hassle of screwing in filters in the middle of a busy wedding!

Cheers

Pete

Robert Moran
December 30th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Bright light is not a problem. I have the 50 and that is not an issue. Ed's comments about the 50 are spot on. Like Ed, I too am really impressed with the 50 regarding quality of image, build quality and the seamless connectivity to old glass via cheap adaptors. (Nikkors, Angénieux and Zeiss) HTH

Chris Harding
December 30th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Hi Peter

I doubt whether you would have any exposure issues without any ND filters as the camera will simply just lift the shutter which won't be an issue at a wedding. However without ND's it will be tough to achieve a shallow DOF in bright light as the cam is unlikely to set wide apertures in bright light. Maybe a variable ND on the front might be a good idea??? I will be shooting some stuff hopefully at the next wedding and I'll see how it behaves in 40 degree Australian sunlight.

Funnily enough I'm not obsessed with shallow DOF anyway..I just like the form factor of the camera and the fact I can click on a fast lens at receptions. My weddings tend to be documentary style anyway!

Chris

Peter Rush
December 31st, 2012, 01:56 AM
Hi Guys - yes it's as I expected - as long as I don't have to go crazy with really fast shutter speeds - I'd probably buy a good ND filter anyway for those lazy summer 'garden party' type weddings where I'd have time to be a little creative - here is one that's been recommended

Fader ND Digi Pro-HD round (http://lightcraftworkshop.com/fader-nd-digi-pro-hd-round.html)

I've recently acquired a 5D and taken it to a few wedding shoots to play around with in 'lull' periods, and even though I really like the quality of the footage - it takes a bit of getting, and not ideal for a solo shooter IMO - plus the form factor, even in a cage with handles etc, is not to my liking - just not versatile enough.

I'm desperate to retire my trusty Z1/FX1 combo for the coming season (which starts in March for me) and I'm sold on the EA-50 - I'm going to call CVP Video in the UK as they have a branch within driving distance - if it's in stock and feels right - I'm buying it!

Pete

Chris Harding
December 31st, 2012, 02:08 AM
Hi Pete

I think we have made a good decision here...I'll have mine fairly soon and I'll shoot some tandem footage at my next wedding and post it for comments...not sure which profile to use so I'll play with a few!!

If we all share a few hints and tips it will be good...I'll go for a fader too in these bright Summer conditions and outdoor weddings!

Give us some feedback and your thoughts when you get it!!

Chris

Dmitri Zigany
December 31st, 2012, 02:13 AM
I'm sold on the EA-50 - I'm going to call CVP Video in the UK as they have a branch within driving distance - if it's in stock and feels right - I'm buying it!
For what it's worth, I got my EA50 from CVP. I'm located in Sweden, very quick delivery and great service!
Greatest part was that their webpage made ordering without VAT a breeze! (for companies in other countries within the EU)

Peter Rush
December 31st, 2012, 02:33 AM
The only thing I really need to decide is if I'm going to spend the £714 on the flash memory unit or buy several of the 64Gb mirroring memory sticks at £177 - they only equate to 32GB in mirroring mode so I would need 3 to be comfortable - possibly 4 - which works out the same price as the flash unit.

I'm loathe to use SD cards (even though I already have quite a few fast 32GB ones) as there's no backup - I can't imagine having the stress of a card failing - I know a few wedding togs who that's happened to!

Pete

Chris Harding
December 31st, 2012, 03:39 AM
Hi Pete

Over the last 3 years and over 100 weddings and countless Real Estate shoots I have never had a card failure. I was a little worried at first after moving from MiniDV but then I figured the tape drive can fail, the capstan might start slipping, the tape might get jammed so with no moving parts you have to be better off on cards and shucks any decent card is reliable. The flash memory unit is expensive for a 128GB drive.

My solution that gets me out of trouble is a GoPro on a stand next to me on on a balcony at a Church ..plus a second camera of course on my shoulder ...any footage lost on the main cam you can switch to your cutaway cam and really only lose maybe a minute at most to click in a new card. In fact cutting to the GoPro of the bit that is missed (if it ever happens) is considered quite "cool" by brides!!

Bear in mind that the expensive flash drive can also fail ... I feels it's a bit of an overkill personally.

Chris

Peter Rush
December 31st, 2012, 03:57 AM
Hi Chris - I'm also nervous coming from Mini-DV but i always figure that if a tape chews or I get a head clog error - I'll know about it straight away and can recover everything up to that point at least.

I know of a couple of wedding togs who had cards fail only to found out when they tried to access their images later - one got them partially recovered but the other lost a whole card's worth of images.

I always have several cameras (including a GoPro) on the go for ceremony/speeches anyway so maybe I'm being overly worried - 2 card slots like my 5D or the AC-90 would have been nice though - I suppose Sony thought it might strengthen their sales of mirroring memory sticks!

Pete

Chris Harding
December 31st, 2012, 05:36 PM
Hi Pete

I think sometimes you must just "trust the system" ..in the same issue are you going to put a radio mic and a DVR on the groom (just in case one fails?) I think corrupt cards are very rare and usually the camera would be designed to stop on a card error anyway. You can only do so much to fool-proof a wedding and then you are really going overboard. I had had cases where I physically missed the bouquet toss (I was in the loo and they threw it early) so those bits CAN be reshot if the bride co-operates.

I remember a local guy here (not on the forum anymore) who forgot to turn on his Zoom recorder so he took the couple to one side in the Church and re-did the vows!!! Human related errors are probably of more concern that mechanical/electronic ones. You can miss an entire ceremony by accidently double pressing record on the camera and that is more likely to happen than a card failure as cameras are pretty darn reliable nowdays. With 3 cameras running at a ceremony I feel pretty safe that I will get enough usable footage to keep the bride happy.

Just make sure you do have a limited liability clause in your contract so she gets a refund of monies paid in a worst case scenario. Equipment CAN fail but it's pretty rare nowdays and spreading the responsibility over three cameras rather than having fail safe systems on just one is the better way to go. If a battery fails on a camera with a dual card and flash drive, you still have lost everything!!

Chris