Overview from new owner Ed Betz at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old December 1st, 2012, 05:03 PM   #1
New Boot

Overview from new owner Ed Betz

I've had the camera for about a week, and so far I'm very impressed. Overall I'm a fan. I've been shooting all my video assignments with a Canon 5D and 7D, but with the EA50, I don't think I'll be using the Canons much for video anymore.

If you're one of the people who want to know about noise and the new NEX-EA50 - and how it compares to the Canon 5D and 7D, I've made a short video that shows all three side by side. Have a look,

If anyone has any specific questions that I can answer, or some kind of comparison, or anything of the kind, fire away, I'll be happy to give it my best shot.

Ed
Ed Betz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

re: New Sony NEX-EA50EH Announcement

Ed,
thanks for the footage and comparison. I wanted to ask about the NEX-EA50. first have you used it on your shoulder yet and if so, how is the balance. It looks like it would be front heavy. Coming from full sized cameras with good balance I'm a bit concerned about that. Also, the pics I've seen show a 1/4-20 threaded placement on the rear of the top handle. Could you measure out the distance from that to the outside of the area for the FMU128 and to the rear of the camera. I ask because it looks like the only way to hang a wireless receiver on the camera without velcro is a bracket of sorts from the top hole. Lastly, the reds in the sample footage of the 50, looked a bit orange compared to the other footage. Were the settings you used straight out of the box or did you make and adjustments.
I'm quite intriqued by this camera and since you're the only person around here with one I thought I'd take advantage of the opportunity to get some questions answered.
Thanks
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
first have you used it on your shoulder yet and if so, how is the balance.
Just looking at the pictures from Alister Chapmans blog I can only conclude it's not a shoulder camera at all so all the weight will be in your hands, much like the Canon xl2 formfactor.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Noa, I can see that except the shoulder pad of the NEX is different enough from the Canons and even the EX3 that the question is worth asking of someone who actually owns the camera.I can see from the pictures that there is weight on the front end of the camera but I'm wondering how much balance the camera has when used on the shoulder.
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:57 PM   #5
New Boot

Don Bloom

Ed, I wanted to ask about the NEX-EA50. first have you used it on your shoulder yet and if so, how is the balance.

The camera is front heavy, although heavy isn't accurate, it's very light. There are threaded holes 1/4 20 on the slide out shoulder pad, I've seen photos where a weight is installed there if you find it uncomfortable. I find the shoulder pad to provide extra stability, but I do wish it was more balanced.

Also, the pics I've seen show a 1/4-20 threaded placement on the rear of the top handle.
Actually it comes with a utility shoe and 4 screws. You can put your wireless there, or in the front if not using a light.

Could you measure out the distance from that to the outside of the area for the FMU128 and to the rear of the camera.
About 3.75 inches from the FMU to the center hole you reference, I'm not really sure what dimension you're looking for...

Lastly, the reds in the sample footage of the 50, looked a bit orange compared to the other footage. Were the settings you used straight out of the box or did you make and adjustments.
Sorry, I did match the white balance, but I know I've messed with color settings on the Canons, so it's really hard to say, I can assure you , I've had no issue with colors being accurate.

The are all sorts of tone adjustments, I just haven't played with any of them.
If I can answer anything else, let me know.
Ed
Old December 1st, 2012, 10:18 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Ed,
Thank you for that information. It is very helpful and allows me to make an informed decision about what I'm going to do. The dimension you gave is fine, I now know that a bracket I have for my wireless (it's an AT1821 dual channel receiver and frankly is kind of big and about 15 oz with the batterys in it) can be attached to the rear 1/4-20 and the bracket will hang behind the area for the FMU. I didn't know about the hole in the shoulder pad, that might also be an option. I should have realized the WB was off a bit but better to ask and know for sure.
Thanks for the update, I think I'm now leaning towards the NEX-EA50U.
I might even be able to fashion a way to mount my ENG rig to the camera which then allows me to use the spring rod for stabilization and relief from the weight. I use it on just about every ful size camera I use for stability and weight relief. Been using it for about 7 years and don't leave home without it.
Thanks again
Old December 2nd, 2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Trustee

Ed,

Have you looked into an adapter for your Canon lenses for the EA50 yet? Or do you have one already? Your video says the Sony was at F2.8. I thought F3.5 was max for the kit lens? Did I miss something? I am almost certain I am going to pick up the Sony, but I have 5 "L' series Canon lenses. The Sony is so new I can not find an adapter I am sure will work. Metabones makes one that might work, but I'm not sure?

Sony NEX System : Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter II

Steve
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:27 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Ed,

Have you looked into an adapter for your Canon lenses for the EA50 yet? Or do you have one already? Your video says the Sony was at F2.8. I thought F3.5 was max for the kit lens? Did I miss something? I am almost certain I am going to pick up the Sony, but I have 5 "L' series Canon lenses. The Sony is so new I can not find an adapter I am sure will work. Metabones makes one that might work, but I'm not sure?

Sony NEX System : Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter II

Steve
Yes, that's the adapter I'm using. I doesn't autofocus in video mode, and in still mode the af is painfully slow (it's almost instant in still mode with the kit lens) , but the iris works which is more important to me. I don't really like af with a video camera. I believe that was with the 85 1.8 at 2.8.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:34 PM   #9
New Boot

Let me add, I have lots of canon glass, from a 14 2.8 up to a 300 2.8. So far they've all worked well. I also bought a cheap sony A adapter which works with minolta glass. I picked up a 50mm 1.4 minolta on eBay for about 80 bucks and its tack sharp and will be a nice addition. There are all sorts of adapters available as you probably know, for many mounts, which makes bargain shopping on eBay a joy. Older Nikon and canon fd glass can be adapted too. Lots of choices... If you're looking to af with the camera in video mode, try the sony a lenses with the lea2 adapter. It uses phase detection, and I understand it works in video mode really well..
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:04 PM   #10
Trustee

Thank you Ed!!!

You just pushed my decision over the top. Now that I know for sure I can use my Canon glass it is a no brainier for me. With the Metabones adapter do you know the conversion factor? I think it's 1.6X with 35mm lenses then you add an adapter? And how much light loss? With most good adapters it is around one stop?

You made me happy. I have enough $$$ invested in Canon glass to far exceed the price of the camera. I am not worried about AF, I can focus. My concern was that some of my lenses don't even have a manual aperture ring. Thank you!

Steve
Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:26 AM   #11
New Boot

I don't believe that there is any light loss, there is no glass in the adapter, it's just an adapter to change the mount. It's not like a 1.4 converter where you loose light, it's really just a small spacer with a different mount.

Yes, the problem with Canon glass is the aperture. The adapter takes care of that. I believe that APS-C is something like 1.5 or 1.6, I'm not really sure, so your long glass gets longer, the wide glass doesn't get as wide. I have a Tokina 11-16 and it becomes about a 17-24 (plus you get the 2X digital zoom - making it a 34-48).

If I can answer anything else for anyone, fire away

Ed
Old December 3rd, 2012, 08:21 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Ed, could you tell me if Touch focus is in the menus ? I see from the specs that face detection and face touch is there but I assume camera must be in autofocus for this to work. I use touch focus on all my Sony Handycams to set focus for the unattended cameras and my wife uses touch focus a lot when she uses her camera for closups. All the consumer Sony's seem to have this feature. Specifically focus is in manual, touch focus enabled in the menus so that point touched on the LCD is then brought into focus. Really useful for rack focus and to make sure that things do not go out of focus with lighting changes on stage etc but auto focus is still available for the point needed without changing camera position or zoom. It is a feature I would love on my NX5U.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 08:31 AM   #13
New Boot

There is a function, that I haven't used, for Spot Focus. It can be assigned to one of the function buttons. According to the book, 1) Press the Menu Button, 2 Select Camera Set-Spot Ficus with the Sel/Push EXEC dial D. 3) Touch the point to be focused on the LCD screen.

Of course this would require autofocus lenses

There is also Face Detection which works in a similar fashion.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 08:40 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Excellent. That makes the camera very attractive for my uses. I realize it will only work for autofocus lenses but most of the time it would be with the stock lens. It means my wife could use as well as give me an alternate type of camera to my NX5U. Have to save up now !!!! I keep waiting to find the user manual somewhere but has not appeared on any of the Sony sites yet.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:01 AM   #15
New Boot

Well, the users manual is right here by my computer, so if I can look anything up for you, let me know.

Ed
Ed Betz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)