View Full Version : Best adapter?

Kent Beeson
January 27th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Which is best for canon lenses to fs700: metabones or rjcamera .com

Eric Darling
January 28th, 2013, 12:29 AM
I think the most exciting adapter is the new Metabones Speed Booster, which actually improves FOV and adds an F-stop on EF lenses. I just got mine today, and it was fun putting my f2.8 lenses on the camera, and getting them to go to 2.0. I also think they are awfully close to the same field that I get when they are on the 5D Mark II. I actually already own the earlier EF-E adapter from Metabones, and I'm very glad, since sometimes, I'll want to add length, and I can go back to the 1.5 crop on the FS700's sensor.

Fred Tims
January 28th, 2013, 09:33 AM
I haven't used the Metabones adapter but the RJ performs exactly as advertised with my Canon lenses on the FS 100.

Kent Beeson
January 28th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks for all replies - sounds like a toss up? Either adapter is as good as the other? Do both allow auto focus, image stabilization and iris control, or just metabones?

Deal is, the RJ is almost half the cost...so if it does exactly the same as metabones, who wouldn't go for that...thoughts?

Eric Darling
January 28th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Metabones is rolling out the AF feature a little faster than RJ. Beyond that, Metabones seems to be a bit of a larger enterprise, which might spell better support and firmware updates down the line. I'm not an RJ customer, so I can't speak to the performance or build quality of their stuff, but the Metabones are built very solidly.

Fred Tims
January 29th, 2013, 08:54 AM
The RJ does not support auto focus. The last time I looked, Metabones AF only worked in photo mode.
I purchased the RJ strictly for exposure and it works fine.

Sergiu Macarescu
January 29th, 2013, 09:20 AM
I heard that RJ doesn't support hot swapping of lenses (some times the electronic iris doesn't work) so you have to restart the camera.