Best adapter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old January 27th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Best adapter?

Which is best for canon lenses to fs700: metabones or rjcamera .com
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Best adapter?

I think the most exciting adapter is the new Metabones Speed Booster, which actually improves FOV and adds an F-stop on EF lenses. I just got mine today, and it was fun putting my f2.8 lenses on the camera, and getting them to go to 2.0. I also think they are awfully close to the same field that I get when they are on the 5D Mark II. I actually already own the earlier EF-E adapter from Metabones, and I'm very glad, since sometimes, I'll want to add length, and I can go back to the 1.5 crop on the FS700's sensor.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I haven't used the Metabones adapter but the RJ performs exactly as advertised with my Canon lenses on the FS 100.
Fred Tims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for all replies - sounds like a toss up? Either adapter is as good as the other? Do both allow auto focus, image stabilization and iris control, or just metabones?

Deal is, the RJ is almost half the cost...so if it does exactly the same as metabones, who wouldn't go for that...thoughts?
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Major Player

Metabones is rolling out the AF feature a little faster than RJ. Beyond that, Metabones seems to be a bit of a larger enterprise, which might spell better support and firmware updates down the line. I'm not an RJ customer, so I can't speak to the performance or build quality of their stuff, but the Metabones are built very solidly.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The RJ does not support auto focus. The last time I looked, Metabones AF only worked in photo mode.
I purchased the RJ strictly for exposure and it works fine.
Fred Tims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #7
New Boot

I heard that RJ doesn't support hot swapping of lenses (some times the electronic iris doesn't work) so you have to restart the camera.
Sergiu Macarescu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta