View Full Version : Using Minolta MD lenses on the EA-50

Chris Harding
January 16th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Hi Guys

Anyone using the old MD Minolta lenses ..I used to love that glass to bits ..Now my issue is that I already have a Novoflex Nikon to NEX adapter for each camera and really don't want to have to pay megabucks for the same again so I can go from Minolta MD to NEX

Are there any magic rings I could snap onto the Minolta lens so it becomes a Nikon mount ..I those exist then I could keep them on any MD lens and be able to put them directly onto the Nikon to NEX adapter on the camera.

Am I being hopeful or can you buy adapter rings to change lens mounts from one still camera to another???

Chris

Steven Digges
January 17th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Your being hopeful Chris. The magic rings your wishing for are the adapters you have. In your case Novaflex. Why would you want an adapter to adapt to an adapter anyway? You already tried the cheap route and it did not work out for you. Time to slap leather again :) :) :0

Steve

Christopher Young
January 17th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Hi Guys

Anyone using the old MD Minolta lenses ..I used to love that glass to bits.

Not on the EA50 but on the FS700 and am very happy with the results. Used almost exclusively for doco interviews. The main thing to be aware of is that nearly all of the adapters from most manufactures... including the well known German ones, are under length, too short to meet the correct flange back distance required therefore they focus past infinity. Manufactures making their adapters short guarantees that there will be no comebacks about not being able to focus to infinity. Whilst you may be able to live with this on certain prime lenses an incorrect flange back distance absolutely kills parfocal zooms and all of the Minolta zooms listed below ARE parfocal. Parfocal zooms being of great importance to most video shooters.

I am using two different types of reasonably cheap adapters, plus one more expensive one with a focal reducer element, like a Speed Booster. In the primes I'm using the 24mm f1:2.8, 45mm f1:2.0, 50mm f1:1.4, and 58mm f1:1.2, and in the zooms I’m using the 24-35mm fixed aperture f1:3.5, 35-70 fixed aperture f1:3.5, the 28-85mm, 35-105mm and the 75-150.mm f1:4.0 fixed aperture. Obviously there is a crop factor involved when using FF 35mm camera lenses with a Super 35 sensor and in the case of the FS700 the crop factor is 1.6 so all the above lenses lengths are now multiplied by that factor. If using the .72 focal reducer adapter then the lenses come back close to their original designation. A 50mm lens works out at about 54mm plus you also pick up virtually one full stop in light gain. An f1:2.8 lens effectively becoming an f1:2.0 lens etc. So great for low light.

All the Rokkors are pretty sharp and have that nice old Minolta trait of very close colour and contrast between the various lenses. The Minolta Rokkors were way better in contrast uniformity than either Canon or Nikon. I know I spent a couple of years shooting B&W and colour with all three brands plus Leica for a major UK publication. All my own kit was Nikon F based back then but the publications’ Minolta SRTs with their Rokkors soon became the favourite kits to use amongst a few of us shooters.

A while back when testing out various options for the FS700 I ended up with a little test video that I uploaded to Vimeo. That video shows the adapters on various lenses and a bit of footage from the three different lenses. From a modern Sony Alpha zoom, a Rokkor zoom and a Tokina zoom. It also includes a bit of info on what shimming was necessary to get all the adapters delivering the correct flange back distance with the Sony NEX e-mount.

Sony FS700 Parfocal lens tests x 3 with and without ' speed booster' - 1080-50p down to 720-25p 10.June.13 on Vimeo

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Steven Digges
January 17th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Christopher,

What a great post. It is people like you that take the time answer Chris's question that make this site so valuable.

That is a great collection of FAST glass!

I have a feeling Chris is going to spend some money now. He knows I was not being too cavalier with him above. We kid around all the time.

Steve

Chris Harding
January 17th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Hi Chris

Very much appreciated. Guess I will simply get a couple of MD-NEX adapters from Novoflex ...MD lenses go for a lot less than Nikon lenses anyway so I'll save there.

No problems too Steve.. yep we kid around a lot so the odd comment I never take to heart or get offended.

I am cheap though!! If I can get the very best at half the price I'm all for it BUT I don't like paying for absolute rubbish either ...(like the cheap Chinese adapters!!

Chris

Tim Lewis
January 17th, 2014, 07:16 PM
You are not the only one thinking this way Chris. I have noticed the recent escalation in the price of SMC Takumar M42 lenses on eBay of the Pentax Spotmatic era. Theses seem to have enjoyed a similar resurgence in popularity for the same purpose as video primes. essentially almost worthless five hearts ago I regularly see 50mm f1.4 lenses going for $200 to $250.

My first camera (decent one) was a Pentax Spotmatic SPII and the glass was lovely.

Everything old is new again!

Chris Harding
January 17th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Hi Tim

My older Pansonic cameras always used to have Leica lenses but they stopped supply after the HMC series. You could physically see the difference in footage too when they stopped. Minolta and Konica were also tied up with Leica and my Dimage still cameras would always knock the stuffing out of cameras with much higher resolution simply because the glass was so good!!

With the introduction of "plastic everything" I do fear that modern lenses on consumer style cameras have dropped dramatically in quality and when I pick up some of my cheaper Nikon lenses I cannot help but wonder how much real glass is inside a lens that weighs so little. The old lenses were metal and had real glass inside them ..Of course top lenses are still good as they use "proper optics" but standard primes and zooms I think nowdays are not as good on the optical side as technology can correct any defects and can enhance images so they look good!!

Yep I did also have a K1000 at one stage and even the 55mm lens that came with it was pretty good.

Chris

Christopher Young
January 18th, 2014, 12:12 AM
Oh yes! The prices are slowly going up as DSLR and S35 video becomes more popular. If you want more info on MC / MD Rokkor glass go to the Rokkor files. He has a good selection of lenses covered there:

The Rokkor Files (http://www.rokkorfiles.com/index.html)

Also more info here:

https://sites.google.com/site/seevve/historical-perspective-on-minolta-lens-design-philosophy
Minolta Manual Lenses (http://www.sds.com/mug/mdlens_table.html)

And a bit of background on my favourite interview zoom the almost magical look MD 35-70 f1:3.5.

Four Seasons HD (http://www.fourseasonshd.com/cgi-bin/csvsearch.pl?db=db1&tp=tp4&search=3570macro)
photoSIG » Minolta MD Rokkor 35-70mm f/3.5 (http://www.photosig.com/articles/990/article)

There were four variants of this lens. I have all four of them see attached JPG. If you are after one of these the third from the left the Macro version was reputed to be the the best although all of the first three are good. The first on the left is the original, with the narrow zoom ring, the second from left is the one Leica got excited about and had remodelled and marketed under their name. The same happened with v3 the macro version, my favourite, the third from the left.

Now the fourth from the left. Don't go within a mile of it! It's a piece of rubbish. This lens was a product that was born out of Minolta's financial problems not long before they became Konica-Minolta. It's a cheap plasticy ghost shadow of its forbears. It is also not constant aperture as it is f1:3.5 to f4:4.8. These were not built by Minolta. They were produced by an outside contractor during Minolta's financial troubles.

Good quality examples of v2 and v3 can be found on eBay for around $60 to $100 but be quick as they are going up. My v3 cost me US $65 a couple of years back. You won't be disappointed unless you are very hard to please.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Chris Harding
January 19th, 2014, 03:18 AM
Thanks Chris

Useful info!! I'd like a 35-70 constant F3.5 for weddings BUT they seems hard to find ... Plenty of F3.5-F4.8 so am I right in assuming those are the crappy plastic models that are the same as the 4th from the left as per your image ? Are the first 3 (v1.2 and 3) all constant F3.5??

I will keep my eyes open!!

Chris

Christopher Young
January 19th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Chris ~

Look maybe I am being a bit unkind. The v4 model works but it's not close to being in the same league as versions 1~3 which are all high quality good value lenses if you can score a good specimen. v1 ~ 3 are all parfocal and constant aperture so no light loss on zoom. v3 is my favourite because of the added bonus of the dual range macro.

You may have to shim any adapter or focal reducer you use them with to obtain 100% back focus but that's fairly easily done if you are half handy with a couple of tools like screwdrivers, scissors etc. I can always point you in the right direction on how shim the adapters or focal reducers. Don't forget with the addition of a .72 focal reducer these lenses become f1:2.8 constant aperture lenses so pretty nice and quick for not too many $$$s.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Michael Spanheimer
January 28th, 2014, 08:23 AM
hi

i have posted 2 MD shots recently...

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/520491-3-different-lenses-examples.html

i love the result...

the adapter i use is the following...

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008H2HXUS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Michael Spanheimer
January 28th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Thanks Chris

Useful info!! I'd like a 35-70 constant F3.5 for weddings BUT they seems hard to find ... Plenty of F3.5-F4.8 so am I right in assuming those are the crappy plastic models that are the same as the 4th from the left as per your image ? Are the first 3 (v1.2 and 3) all constant F3.5??

I will keep my eyes open!!

Chris

I have a Tokina RMC 35-70mm 3,5 - it was verry cheap (25€) maybe look for one of these..