View Full Version : Syncing Zoom H1 audio with DSLR clip

Luc Spencer
April 29th, 2014, 05:00 AM
Hello!

I stumbled onto a problem last night while using the Merge Clips function in Adobe Premiere Pro CC. I have a clip shot with the Panasonic GH3 which has audio from its on-board microphones (as you know, crappy audio quality) and I also have audio recorded using a Zoom H1.

When I try to merge these 2 files in Premiere, it's giving me an option to choose "Track Channel" (see attached photo), and whatever option I choose, the newly merged clip, although with audio synced correctly, will have MONO audio once dropped inside the timeline. I can tell this because both columns in the sound monitor (for the left and right audio channels) are always at the same height. In addition, it's creating 2 audio tracks in my timeline instead of just one (see second attached photo).

However! If I just double click on the merged clip to listen to it in the source monitor, the sound is actually stereo.

I have no idea what the heck is going on, does anyone have a clue? I would like to mention that the GH3 audio is @ 48 KHz and the Zoom audio is MP3 @ 44.1 KHz. Maybe this is causing the problem?

Thank you kindly.

-Luc

Rick Reineke
April 29th, 2014, 06:44 AM
"the GH3 audio is @ 48 KHz and the Zoom audio is MP3 @ 44.1 KHz. Maybe this is causing the problem?"
> Could be! I'm not familiar with Adobe Premiere but some NLEs do not support different sample rates and/or bit depth events.. If Adobe Premiere only supports 48kHz, you will have to re-sample 44.1k file to 48.

FWIW, Sony Vegas Pro supports having different sample rate/bit depth in the same project.

Luc Spencer
April 29th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Alright, I tried converting the Zoom file to 48 KHz in Audition, then I imported it into Premiere and the exact same thing happens... I am so frustrated and confused as to why it's not working properly...

Battle Vaughan
April 29th, 2014, 10:13 AM
The merge clips function is somewhat limited, there is a better way but you need to purchase a plugin.

Here's a discussion on these issues: Final Cut Pro Training | Premiere Pro CC: A Better Way to Merge | Final Cut Pro Training & Classes (http://www.larryjordan.biz/premiere-pro-cc-a-better-way-to-merge/) Ignore the Final Cut reference, this particular page is about Premiere/ The plugin is PluralEyes3 from Red Giant, works a treat. (Usual disclaimer, satisfied user, no commercial connection.)

Luc Spencer
April 29th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Thank you, will look into that. At least the good news seems to be that the problem is not on my end...