View Full Version : Field monitor for C100

Kathy Smith
June 10th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Hi,

I am looking for monitor for C100. Something under $800. Any recommendations? Just a screen no recorder.

Thanks
Kathy

Les Wilson
June 10th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I have a SmallHD DP4 and a Marshall 7". I suggest you evaluate for yourself how much size and weight matters. Battery type and life is another factor. Assuming you want a monitor to judge exposure and focus, you'll find that monitors can do those things with variable success.

For example, false colors is a fantastic tool for judging exposure and finding hotspots. However, the way it's implemented in a monitor varies. I found the transition points of the SmallHD to be useless due to the size of certain ranges and the points they transition. The Marshall on the other hand is different and I find it's more useful.

The focus assist on the SmallHD is spectacular and may be technology given them by aliens of time travellers from the future. I love it. YMMV

Both those units support different battery types (based on the package you order) so you can match it to other equipment.

In general, it's important you check your camera's features for outputting to an external monitor. I don't know about the C100 but not all cameras allow you to turn on the overlay displays and vice versa.

Lastly, search here for "Field Monitor" and you'll find a wealth of information as this is a common question. Especially over here:
The View: Video Display Hardware and Software Forum at DV Info Net (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)

Kathy Smith
June 10th, 2014, 11:48 AM
I mostly need a screen for composition and focusing. Which Marshall model do you use?

Mark Dobson
June 10th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Hi Kathy,

I know you said you didn't want a recorder - but . . . . . . . . the Atamos units have really good screens with very useful focus aids - Peaking - false colour etc - they also run on small sony batteries which are pretty easy to find.

So you could look at the Ninja 2 which falls well within your budget.

Robert Turchick
June 10th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Ninja 2 is a pretty nice piece. And you get recording redundancy along with the monitor. When I use the C100 on my crane though I use a Manhattan 8.9" which falls a little above your budget. Otherwise the on board LCD is very good. And the EVF is useable with the C-Cup eyepiece.

Oh...the overlays can be toggled.

So to bring it all home...
I also have a SmallHD DP4 which i haven't used since getting the Ninja 2.

Les Wilson
June 11th, 2014, 05:19 AM
I mostly need a screen for composition and focusing. Which Marshall model do you use?

I use a Marshall LCD70XP 7" Field Monitor. It's one of my favorite pieces of studio kit. Properly calibrated using vcolor bars from your C100, it will serve you well to focus/compose/expose with your eyes alone as well as with focus and exposure assists. My model goes B&W when peaking is turned on. YMMV

False colors for judging exposure will change your life. Unlike wave form and histogram, false colors instantly shows you exactly what part of the screen is blown out, underexposed and everything in between as opposed to quantifying how much of the screen.

A nice feature of smaller filed monitor units is being able to attach a diopter for shooting in bright environments.

Kathy Smith
June 11th, 2014, 05:34 AM
Robert,

Thanks but that screen on Ninja is tiny, and reading the reviews people like the recorder but not the screen. Since I am looking for a screen not a recorder it feels like I would be throwing money at something I don't need.

Kathy Smith
June 11th, 2014, 05:41 AM
What do you guys think of this?
Marshall Electronics - V-LCD70XHB-HDIPT, 7" Small Portable Field / Camera-Top LCD Monitor (http://www.marshallmonitors.com/products/monitors/V-LCD70XHB-HDIPT/index.html)

Bill Scherer
June 11th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Resolution is quite poor and expensive. I'll sell you my slightly used Small HD DP 6 if you're interested. Only used a couple times.

Kathy Smith
June 11th, 2014, 11:00 AM
I have SmallHD AC7 in front of me (borrowed from a friend) and I am not crazy about it. The colors are not so good. Not sure if DP6 is any better.
I am now looking at this one. Seems to have better reviews than SmallHD
ikan VK7i 7" HDMI Monitor with Canon E6 Type VK7I-E6 B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=903389&is=REG&si=rev#costumerReview)

Robert Turchick
June 11th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Any monitor you get will need to be calibrated if you are concerned about colors. And it needs to be calibrated in the environment you will be using it in. Personally, I'm more concerned with framing and focus than color when I hook up a monitor. Waveforms will tell you if you're way off with your camera settings. And as long as you set the WB appropriately all should be fine color-wise or at least close enough to tweak when you get back to your edit system which should have a calibrated monitor.

Bill Scherer
June 11th, 2014, 02:42 PM
The DP6 I have has a resolution of 1280x800 which should be your most concern with having a monitor. Colors are excellent but one should never rely on them when shooting because the monitor is not calibrated. I believe calibrated monitors start at around $4,000? Maybe someone on this site can verify this.

When using the C100 your monitor will be used mainly for focus and composition. The monitor I have would include assessors like sun hood, storage bag, external screen protector, battery hold etc. which are all extra on the site. I believe it is still under warranty also. Whatever monitor you get make sure you get a sun hood or some thing to block the outdoor light or it will be worthless.

Les Wilson
June 11th, 2014, 07:43 PM
The resolution of the Marshall is perfectly good for Composition and focus that the OP wants it for. WIth color bars from the camera, the marshall can be calibrated so so you can judge the picture fairly accurately using your eye. I've had great success in doing so.

Kathy Smith
June 12th, 2014, 04:16 AM
I am now looking at this one
VK7i : VK7i 7" LCD Monitor w/ IPS Panel | ikan (http://ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=614)
Only $400 at B&H and comes with a sunhood
Any options about it?

Les Wilson
June 12th, 2014, 05:44 AM
When I bought my Marshall a few years ago, they were designed and built in the USA ... if that matters to you.

My experience with IKAN is that you get what you pay for. Research and look for critical reviews. The downloadable PDF says there's a false color chart included but I could not find it. If you find one, ideally, you want a transition between colors at IRE 70 and for each color range to be about the same size.

Terence Morris
July 9th, 2017, 06:24 PM
I'm reviving this old thread as it seems to hit the button: I'm thinking of getting the new SmallHD Focus for my C100 MK2. I'm a big fan of false colour (having played around with it on my Ninja 2) and would like a brighter / larger screen for outdoor work as I really struggled to see the built-in monitor on an outdoor project recently. Will the 5" screen be a worthwhile improvement? It's the first decent monitor that I've seen that's within my price range. Any thoughts anyone?

Kevin O'Connor
August 3rd, 2017, 12:40 PM
You may have purchased a monitor by now but I also have the Marshall Electronics - V-LCD70XHB-HDIPT, 7" Small Portable Field / Camera-Top LCD Monitor , which I purchased about 5 years ago. It's a bit heavy for my hand held rig, which I power it from a V mount battery. Many times it doubles as my directors monitor, the size and Sony battery plate work great. I did have an issue with it after one cold winter night of shooting but Marshall was easy to work with, they fixed it and got me back up and running.

I know you were not looking for a recorder / monitor but I now use the Blackmagic Design Video Assist HDMI/6G-SDI Recorder and 5" Monitor, which works perfect with my C100 and I think its cheaper then the 7" Marshall.