Field monitor for C100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old June 10th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Field monitor for C100

Hi,

I am looking for monitor for C100. Something under $800. Any recommendations? Just a screen no recorder.

Thanks
Kathy
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Field monitor for C100

I have a SmallHD DP4 and a Marshall 7". I suggest you evaluate for yourself how much size and weight matters. Battery type and life is another factor. Assuming you want a monitor to judge exposure and focus, you'll find that monitors can do those things with variable success.

For example, false colors is a fantastic tool for judging exposure and finding hotspots. However, the way it's implemented in a monitor varies. I found the transition points of the SmallHD to be useless due to the size of certain ranges and the points they transition. The Marshall on the other hand is different and I find it's more useful.

The focus assist on the SmallHD is spectacular and may be technology given them by aliens of time travellers from the future. I love it. YMMV

Both those units support different battery types (based on the package you order) so you can match it to other equipment.

In general, it's important you check your camera's features for outputting to an external monitor. I don't know about the C100 but not all cameras allow you to turn on the overlay displays and vice versa.

Lastly, search here for "Field Monitor" and you'll find a wealth of information as this is a common question. Especially over here:
The View: Video Display Hardware and Software Forum at DV Info Net
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:48 AM   #3
Major Player

I mostly need a screen for composition and focusing. Which Marshall model do you use?
Old June 10th, 2014, 01:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Kathy,

I know you said you didn't want a recorder - but . . . . . . . . the Atamos units have really good screens with very useful focus aids - Peaking - false colour etc - they also run on small sony batteries which are pretty easy to find.

So you could look at the Ninja 2 which falls well within your budget.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 03:56 PM   #5
Trustee

Ninja 2 is a pretty nice piece. And you get recording redundancy along with the monitor. When I use the C100 on my crane though I use a Manhattan 8.9" which falls a little above your budget. Otherwise the on board LCD is very good. And the EVF is useable with the C-Cup eyepiece.

Oh...the overlays can be toggled.

So to bring it all home...
I also have a SmallHD DP4 which i haven't used since getting the Ninja 2.
Old June 11th, 2014, 05:19 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
I mostly need a screen for composition and focusing. Which Marshall model do you use?
I use a Marshall LCD70XP 7" Field Monitor. It's one of my favorite pieces of studio kit. Properly calibrated using vcolor bars from your C100, it will serve you well to focus/compose/expose with your eyes alone as well as with focus and exposure assists. My model goes B&W when peaking is turned on. YMMV

False colors for judging exposure will change your life. Unlike wave form and histogram, false colors instantly shows you exactly what part of the screen is blown out, underexposed and everything in between as opposed to quantifying how much of the screen.

A nice feature of smaller filed monitor units is being able to attach a diopter for shooting in bright environments.
Old June 11th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #7
Major Player

Robert,

Thanks but that screen on Ninja is tiny, and reading the reviews people like the recorder but not the screen. Since I am looking for a screen not a recorder it feels like I would be throwing money at something I don't need.
Old June 11th, 2014, 05:41 AM   #8
Major Player

What do you guys think of this?
Marshall Electronics - V-LCD70XHB-HDIPT, 7" Small Portable Field / Camera-Top LCD Monitor
Old June 11th, 2014, 10:51 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Resolution is quite poor and expensive. I'll sell you my slightly used Small HD DP 6 if you're interested. Only used a couple times.
Old June 11th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #10
Major Player

I have SmallHD AC7 in front of me (borrowed from a friend) and I am not crazy about it. The colors are not so good. Not sure if DP6 is any better.
I am now looking at this one. Seems to have better reviews than SmallHD
ikan VK7i 7" HDMI Monitor with Canon E6 Type VK7I-E6 B&H
Old June 11th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #11
Trustee

Any monitor you get will need to be calibrated if you are concerned about colors. And it needs to be calibrated in the environment you will be using it in. Personally, I'm more concerned with framing and focus than color when I hook up a monitor. Waveforms will tell you if you're way off with your camera settings. And as long as you set the WB appropriately all should be fine color-wise or at least close enough to tweak when you get back to your edit system which should have a calibrated monitor.
Old June 11th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #12
Regular Crew

The DP6 I have has a resolution of 1280x800 which should be your most concern with having a monitor. Colors are excellent but one should never rely on them when shooting because the monitor is not calibrated. I believe calibrated monitors start at around $4,000? Maybe someone on this site can verify this.

When using the C100 your monitor will be used mainly for focus and composition. The monitor I have would include assessors like sun hood, storage bag, external screen protector, battery hold etc. which are all extra on the site. I believe it is still under warranty also. Whatever monitor you get make sure you get a sun hood or some thing to block the outdoor light or it will be worthless.
Old June 11th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #13
Inner Circle

The resolution of the Marshall is perfectly good for Composition and focus that the OP wants it for. WIth color bars from the camera, the marshall can be calibrated so so you can judge the picture fairly accurately using your eye. I've had great success in doing so.
Old June 12th, 2014, 04:16 AM   #14
Major Player

I am now looking at this one
VK7i : VK7i 7" LCD Monitor w/ IPS Panel | ikan
Only $400 at B&H and comes with a sunhood
Any options about it?
Old June 12th, 2014, 05:44 AM   #15
Inner Circle

When I bought my Marshall a few years ago, they were designed and built in the USA ... if that matters to you.

My experience with IKAN is that you get what you pay for. Research and look for critical reviews. The downloadable PDF says there's a false color chart included but I could not find it. If you find one, ideally, you want a transition between colors at IRE 70 and for each color range to be about the same size.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems