DPAF Dropping Out on C100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old August 3rd, 2017, 08:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DPAF Dropping Out on C100

My C100 has the Dual Pixel Auto Focus upgrade and was working fine for a couple years till I started using some of my older Canon lenses on it. I have been using the 24-70 F2.4L and the 135 F2L as my standard go to lenses for past two years. But lately I have been using an older Canon 50 F1.4 and a 28-135 F3.5/4.5 and their action feels (to borrow my daughter’s new favorite term “Cringe”) very cringy. My older AF lenses do need service. So, the DPAF works fine for a few minutes at power on and then progressively gets slower to respond/focus then drops off to no response.

At first I thought the motors in the older lens were creating more resistance and so the DPAF mode would drop out if resistance values were too high, like something was jamming the focus action of the lens but now I notice it happening on my 135F2.4L also.

When I turn the camera off-on again I get the auto focus mode back for a little while but it drops out latter. Not sure if this is a contributor but all my video footage I’m shooting lately is HS marching band practices with a lot of outdoor high contrast shots, many golden hour into the sun shots, and indoor low contrast shots. Many times I move from out door to inside without turning the camera off in-between shooting locations. Could the extremes between contrast of each scene over whelm the DPAF mode?

Any recommendations?
KPO
Kevin O'Connor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems