View Full Version : Canon C100 Goodness

Eddy Yazbeck
October 10th, 2014, 02:25 AM
Hello,

I would like to share this piece I filmed with a Canon C100, It's a graffiti project that was done in a Mall, it was all shot after midnight using only available ambient light.

all footage shot in canon log internally.

Gear Used:
Canon 16-35 2.8L
Canon 50 1.2L
Canon 70-200 2.8L
DJI Phantom Goprohero3 black
Glidecam HD4000

I must say i’m truly impressed with the Canon c100, truly a great package, I was surprised that many sources had cited that it doesn’t have slow motion capabilities. I found that it has better slow motion than the 5dmkIII 720/60

FCPX10.1
1080i60 = Deinterlace = Automatic Speed = to 40% on 23.98 timeline

Check out the slow motion shots at 2:08 to 2:36

I’m also compiling a slow motion reel just for the c100.

I am absolutely in love with that camera.

Bombing ABC on Vimeo

Noa Put
October 10th, 2014, 02:39 AM
That looked great, I particularly liked the first 15 seconds and especially the openingsshot, that was brutal :)
Is the DJI Phantom easy to learn to fly with? I see it sells for 800 euro with the H3-3D gimbal. Must say I"m very interested in buying one but have to inquire how laws are in Belguim when flying one, I know in the Netherlands they have a strict rules, read an article some time ago the same rules apply like when you fly a plane so there I think penalties are severe.

Dave Partington
October 10th, 2014, 05:41 AM
Noa, I can tell you a lot more about that..... (you need BNUC-S qualification) but we should take that off line.....

Great video BTW !!

David

Eddy Yazbeck
October 10th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Noa, I definitely encourage you to go ahead and get the phantom 2, it's easy to learn and it's very forgiving for first time fliers, attaching a GoPro to it lets you get to really unconventional places and it really does elevate the overall value of whatever film you use it for. be careful tho gopro4 doesn't slide right in the H3-3D because the side button is protruding unlike the button on GoproHero 3 and 3+

In the Video I am using a Tarot T2D gimbal attached to a Phantom 1.

Noa Put
October 10th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Thx for the info, I have zero knowledge about these kind of tools but for some corporate videos I have on my agenda for next year it might be a added value. However something tells me I won't be flyting one that easily but I"ll ask Dave more about it, probably start a new thread for that.

Mark Koha
October 10th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Were you using a vest and arm with the Glidecam or just muscling it up? Great looking video.

Troy Moss
October 10th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Eddy,

Great job on the graffiti project! Very well done! I share the same thoughts regarding the C100!

Eddy Yazbeck
October 10th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Were you using a vest and arm with the Glidecam or just muscling it up? Great looking video.

No vest , good ol' forearm muscles. I cannot imagine my life without my Glidecam. i prefer it over all those new Digital Gyros Stabilizers.

Eddy Yazbeck
October 10th, 2014, 11:50 PM
Eddy,

Great job on the graffiti project! Very well done! I share the same thoughts regarding the C100!

I really do hope they unlock 4K to external recorder in an upcoming firmware or paid upgrade.

Noa Put
October 11th, 2014, 11:30 AM
No vest , good ol' forearm muscles. I cannot imagine my life without my Glidecam. i prefer it over all those new Digital Gyros Stabilizers.

I use a blackbird and also wouldn't shoot a wedding without it, I did see a great looking "Digital Gyros" steadicam combo though so that might be a nice addition: 2 Axis Gimbal on Glidecam HD1000 - YouTube

Eddy Yazbeck
October 12th, 2014, 10:27 AM
that is quite interesting, although to have gimbal that can carry the c100 probably costs more and weighs more, at this time the best alternative for a stock glidecam hd4000 seems to be the DJI Ronin.

Mark Koha
October 14th, 2014, 01:23 PM
You difinitely can't beat the glidecam price though. I've been flying an xf305 and t3i on a 4000 and love it.

Art Varga
October 14th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Eddy - wow amazing work! I'm inspired to get more out of my C100 now....and darn you I just took the Phantom off my shopping list and now it must go back on. Though as an alternative, the Plexidrone looks pretty interesting if I can hold out till next year. Anyone following this product?

Art

Art Varga
October 14th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Plexidrone looks pretty interesting if I can hold out till next year. Anyone following this product?

here's the link to the Plexidrone video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9OwUOtU380#t=58

Eddy Yazbeck
October 15th, 2014, 03:29 AM
hey Art Varga, Plexidrone looks really really interesting, detachable arms, follow me function, retractable landing gear as well a interesting connectivity solutions.

I'de wait to see what DJI has to offer with the phantom 3, I'm certain the follow me function will be a feature, and if you can't wait put that Phantom 2 back on your list that thing is beast. I have abused my phantom for a year and half now with hours of flight time and that thing still works like a charm.

Available drone similar to the Plexidrone:

IRIS+ - 3DRobotics Inc (http://store.3drobotics.com/products/IRIS)

Kathy Smith
October 17th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Hello,

I would like to share this piece I filmed with a Canon C100, It's a graffiti project that was done in a Mall, it was all shot after midnight using only available ambient light.

Gear Used:
Canon 16-35 2.8L
Canon 50 1.2L
Canon 70-200 2.8L
Glidecam HD4000

I must say i’m truly impressed with the Canon c100, truly a great package, I was surprised that many sources had cited that it doesn’t have slow motion capabilities. I found that it has better slow motion than the 5dmkIII 720/60

FCPX10.1

Bombing ABC on Vimeo (https://vimeo.com/108514625)
Which lens did you use with the Glidecam? Which shot uses GoPro?

Eddy Yazbeck
October 17th, 2014, 03:22 PM
The lens I used with the glide cam is 16-35 2.8L
the go pro was used in all the aerial drone shots

Kathy Smith
October 19th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Thanks. How long have you been using the glidecam? I have exactly the same one, same camera, same lens and can't even balance it properly. Nevemind using it. I wonder if you could tell me how many weights you use with the C100 and 16-35 lens. Any other tips on using the Glidecam with C100?
Thanks.

Eddy Yazbeck
October 20th, 2014, 12:42 AM
Thanks. How long have you been using the glidecam? I have exactly the same one, same camera, same lens and can't even balance it properly. Nevemind using it. I wonder if you could tell me how many weights you use with the C100 and 16-35 lens. Any other tips on using the Glidecam with C100?
Thanks.

I have been using glide cams for about 1 year now, I have used it so much that i can now balance it under a minute while holding it.
I suggest first using a quick release plate, and placing levels on the glide cam to ensure horizontal and vertical balance.
I use 4 weight plates on each end because i often run same setup with a ninja 2 attached.
Legs fully extended, I aim for a 3 second drop time.

Kathy Smith
October 20th, 2014, 04:44 AM
I suggest first using a quick release plate, and placing levels on the glide cam to ensure horizontal and vertical balance.
Thanks Eddy. By this statement, do you mean balancing the glidecam first with the quick release plate without the camera?

I use 4 weight plates on each end because i often run same setup with a ninja 2 attached.
Legs fully extended, I aim for a 3 second drop time.
By legs do you mean the wings that you put the weights on? Or do you mean the vertical column?

Eddy Yazbeck
October 20th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Thanks Eddy. By this statement, do you mean balancing the glidecam first with the quick release plate without the camera?

By legs do you mean the wings that you put the weights on? Or do you mean the vertical column?

I mean using a quick release plate all the time since this make sure the camera is always in the same position on the top plate (by pushing the camera back all the way when you slide it in).

and by legs i mean the wings that you put weight on.

Michael Stevenson
October 22nd, 2014, 07:54 PM
Hello,

Gear Used:
Canon 16-35 2.8L
Canon 50 1.2L
Canon 70-200 2.8L
Glidecam HD4000

FCPX10.1

Bombing ABC on Vimeo (https://vimeo.com/108514625)

The first shot is amazing. It's a 90 degree rotation and a dolly back.. How did you do that?

Eddy Yazbeck
October 23rd, 2014, 12:33 AM
The first shot is amazing. It's a 90 degree rotation and a dolly back.. How did you do that?

By bring back the Dji PHANTOM towards me while tilting up the gimbal holding the go pro

Michael Stevenson
October 23rd, 2014, 05:31 PM
By bring back the Dji PHANTOM towards me while tilting up the gimbal holding the go pro

Thank you so much.

Eddy Yazbeck
December 7th, 2014, 10:08 AM
I've made another graffiti video using the same equipment and some interesting camera movement, this one is shorter and more concise it's worth a look.
Cheers

ManEater on Vimeo