View Full Version : 4K 60p coming to YouTube

Jack Zhang
June 12th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Disclaimer: the video linked in the story was EDITED in a 60p timeline with 24p sourced footage. It is not a proper demonstration, but it proves it's possible to a select group of people. In this case, NASA.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/6/12/8773611/nasa-4k-videos-60fps-youtube

Do keep in mind Google WANTS you to use their VP9 codec instead of H.265 to decode this at 60p, (they give you no other choice, it's VP9 or bust) hence there are no current hardware decoders for VP9 fast enough at the moment to decode the full resolution and frame rate. That would be a year down the line when people like Nvidia, AMD, and Intel start to implement hardware VP9 decoders fast enough.

Jack Zhang
July 11th, 2015, 03:44 AM
Also, if you look at the reel they later posted, for standard videos, they're starting to shrink 4096 to 3840. Those shooting for the web, you must shoot for 16:9, not the ideal 17:9.

Tim Polster
July 11th, 2015, 06:37 AM
I still can't get 720p60 payback from YouTube. It is always stutter, stutter stutter on any camera movement. Kind of over YouTube as a delivery medium. Always defaulting to low resolutions and choppy playback. I have tried the HTML 5 player and it did not improve much. It is what it is...

Gary Huff
July 11th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Those shooting for the web, you must shoot for 16:9, not the ideal 17:9.

16:9 is ideal for what the overwhelming majority of shooters on this forum will be delivering to.

Jack Zhang
July 11th, 2015, 08:32 AM
I still can't get 720p60 payback from YouTube. It is always stutter, stutter stutter on any camera movement. Kind of over YouTube as a delivery medium. Always defaulting to low resolutions and choppy playback. I have tried the HTML 5 player and it did not improve much. It is what it is...

This is because Google wants you to use their VP9 codec which not a single hardware acceleration chip for PCs have support for. Even in Chrome, it tends to stutter. There is no 60p option for Flash too.

Tim Polster
July 12th, 2015, 07:03 AM
I seemed to notice MACs played online videos a let better than PCs. How could such a large section of the computer world be left out of Goggle's product? Crazy and it does explain why I have never had good playback online. Is this ever going to improve?

Noa Put
July 12th, 2015, 07:18 AM
This is because Google wants you to use their VP9 codec which not a single hardware acceleration chip for PCs have support for. Even in Chrome, it tends to stutter. There is no 60p option for Flash too.Is that video you linked to causing you playback problems? On my pc it plays fine up to the 4K resolution, eventhough my screen is 1080p only.

Jack Zhang
July 13th, 2015, 05:13 AM
Once I get the raw WEBM file and play it in MPC-HC, smooth as butter. But playing it in a browser is never going to work smoothly cause they're not optimized for video playback, especially if your CPU is doing all the work.

Gary Huff
July 13th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Is that video you linked to causing you playback problems? On my pc it plays fine up to the 4K resolution, eventhough my screen is 1080p only.

Same here. Straight off YouTube in Chrome at 4K 60p on my MacBook Pro 15" Retina. Plays back fine for me, over WiFi no less.

Noa Put
July 13th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Once I get the raw WEBM file and play it in MPC-HC, smooth as butter. But playing it in a browser is never going to work smoothly cause they're not optimized for video playback, especially if your CPU is doing all the work.

I just tried again to play that file in a chrome and opera browser and in both cases the 4K file played fine, no stutter, I have a i7 3770 processor and processorload during playback was around 70%, the second video after that was also 4K and the processor load dropped to about 30-50%, not sure why it was higher in the first video.

Ron Evans
July 13th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Plays OK in Firefox or Chrome on my PC. i7 3770K, WIN 7.

Ron Evans

Tim Polster
July 17th, 2015, 06:36 AM
On my computers YouTube always looks like they have a variable frame rate option in the encoding. There are always micro stutters as I saw in this NASA clip. Even though they are saying it is 60p it does not look like 60p on a television or Blu-ray. I don't have a smart TV to compare with. Maybe it is just computer vs TV screens.

I don't know but there is a difference between "plays back fine" and looking like broadcast 60p. As with a lot of things on the internet, the bar seems to be lower.

Gary Huff
July 17th, 2015, 10:12 AM
I don't know but there is a difference between "plays back fine" and looking like broadcast 60p. As with a lot of things on the internet, the bar seems to be lower.

The bar is not lower on my end. Full speed on a 27" 1440p display that I sit two feet away from. Looks like broadcast 60p.

Tim Polster
July 17th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Could you do me a favor and watch this clip? It was uploaded in 1080p60. It stutters like crazy when I watch it on YouTube.

Arlington Colts vs Bowie Vols 10-24-2014 - YouTube

Gary Huff
July 17th, 2015, 08:32 PM
It stutters like crazy when I watch it on YouTube.

The opening animation isn't very smooth (not sure if that's source or not), but otherwise plays fine for me for the most part.

Phil Murray
July 18th, 2015, 05:49 AM
I watched the opening few minutes a couple of times to be sure and everything played smooth on my system.

Tim Polster
July 18th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Thanks for watching. I guess I have some weirdness with YouTube... Maybe things will improve with Windows 10.