View Full Version : What is CRAFT?

Pages : [1] 2

Chris Hurd
December 20th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Mysterious, and interesting...

"Releasing to the public in 2016, the CRAFT system will revolutionize the way we use digital cinema cameras. Designed by video & film professionals for video & film professionals, CRAFT challenges the status quo delivering an innovative design, smart functionality and endless flexibility. Join the revolution!"

See this: A Revolution Is Coming. An innovative digital cinema camera, starting under $1,000 (http://comingsoon.craftcamera.com/)

Based in Atlanta, headed by Scott Bragg: https://www.linkedin.com/in/scott-bragg-6b87b936

Andrew Smith
December 20th, 2015, 11:59 PM
Well, it's got a snazzy logo so it's gotta be good. :-)

Andrew

Buba Kastorski
December 21st, 2015, 10:02 AM
i don't expect decent cinema camera for under $1K price tag, not in 2016, when 4K is a must

Brian Drysdale
December 21st, 2015, 10:39 AM
Bear in mind that the Arri Alexa isn't 4k and is used on major feature films.

Jon Fairhurst
December 21st, 2015, 12:14 PM
What is CRAFT?

I believe that it is the word that precedes "services".

That said, I'm curious to find out what they are planning.

Charles Papert
December 21st, 2015, 12:47 PM
i don't expect decent cinema camera for under $1K price tag, not in 2016, when 4K is a must

Their single tweet indicates both HD and 4K cameras, so presumably the sub-$1000 is the HD one. Pretty modest pre-hype for this day and age.

Jim Michael
December 21st, 2015, 04:29 PM
I hope it's an acronym. I love it when a new meme is born. New client?

Chris Hurd
December 21st, 2015, 04:53 PM
Pretty modest pre-hype for this day and age.Indeed. In this day and age, I actually welcome modest pre-hype.

Chris Hurd
December 21st, 2015, 04:54 PM
New client?

For DVi? Not just *yet.*

Andrew Smith
December 21st, 2015, 05:16 PM
Over in Australia, Kraft is a brand of cheese.

Now, if this thing has a heap of ventilation holes in it I may even affectionately think of it as a cheese grater. :-)

Andrew

Dylan Couper
December 21st, 2015, 05:38 PM
Lame hipster marketing is lame.

Sorry.

Show up with a toy or go home. The year of the teaser was... when did Red pitch the One? Back in 2007?

Andrew Smith
December 21st, 2015, 06:08 PM
It's a POV cinema camera. Unfortunately the voice-over quality isn't very good.

Andrew

Paul Cascio
December 21st, 2015, 07:42 PM
Well played, Andrew.

Peer Landa
December 21st, 2015, 11:19 PM

At $1k -- perhaps this isn't a camera at all...?

Hipster marketing? Oh-so 2013 -- pleeeeeease!

-- peer

Lawrence Bansbach
December 22nd, 2015, 01:20 AM
I really hope it's not a small-sensor Osmo- or GoPro-style camera. We need high dynamic range, a global shutter, reasonably high ISO, onboard raw acquisition, and decent, 10- and 12-bit codecs. And please, please don't go the modular route. That would only increase costs and compromise ergonomics.

Dylan Couper
December 23rd, 2015, 11:07 AM
I wonder how well the "sign up x friends and get $x off the price" marketing strategy is working. That's my favorite part and actually a pretty good marketing tool. Given that the guy's LinkedIn page has marketing, not camera building, as his top skills, it's not a surprise.

Dmitri Zigany
December 24th, 2015, 08:52 PM
I wonder how well the "sign up x friends and get $x off the price" marketing strategy is working. That's my favorite part and actually a pretty good marketing tool. Given that the guy's LinkedIn page has marketing, not camera building, as his top skills, it's not a surprise.
Personally, I want to know quite a bit more about it before starting to spam friends...

Josh Bass
December 24th, 2015, 08:56 PM
friends who spam friends are no friends at all...

Dylan Couper
December 27th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Hey Josh, your prince buddy in Nigeria said to say hi. I'm still waiting on my $60,000,000.

Buba Kastorski
December 30th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Bear in mind that the Arri Alexa isn't 4k and is used on major feature films.

i knew that Arri will be mentioned, but it's a bit more than $1K, and it is not a new development

Josh Bass
December 30th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Aw, Dylan. He's a great guy. Just needs a little help 'cause his family has been deposed. You're 60,000,000 is coming as soon as they're back in power. Any day now.

Andrew Smith
March 28th, 2016, 06:54 AM
Well, we've just about clocked through the first quarter of 2016 and still no CRAFT camera. Anyone holding their breath would require 'colour correction' by now.

Andrew

Troy Moss
March 29th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Maybe it will debut at NAB.......

Lawrence Bansbach
March 31st, 2016, 09:13 AM
Maybe it will debut at NAB.......
I heard a rumor that Blackmagic Design is handling the manufacture. CRAFT should therefore start releasing cameras by sometime in 2020. ;^)

(In case anyone's not sure, I was kidding.)

Nathan Buck
March 31st, 2016, 09:24 AM
Well, we should find out sometime soon, as it's April tomorrow.

About time. Sick of seeing their adverts on Facebook!

Nathan Buck
March 31st, 2016, 09:27 AM
I've found this:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/scott-bragg-6b87b936

He is a partner at:

http://www.betweenpixels.tv/

...and a password only pre-order page, among others!
http://www.craftcamera.com/preorder/

Along with trademark details:

Trademark Events

Event DateEvent Description
2015-11-19 NEW APPLICATION OFFICE SUPPLIED DATA ENTERED IN TRAM
2016-03-08 ASSIGNED TO EXAMINER
2016-03-08 EXAMINERS AMENDMENT -WRITTEN
2016-03-08 EXAMINERS AMENDMENT E-MAILED
2016-03-08 NOTIFICATION OF EXAMINERS AMENDMENT E-MAILED
2016-03-08 EXAMINER'S AMENDMENT ENTERED
2016-03-08 APPROVED FOR PUB - PRINCIPAL REGISTER
2016-03-24 ASSIGNED TO LIE
2016-03-24 LAW OFFICE PUBLICATION REVIEW COMPLETED

CRAFT Inc is registered to a house... you can look it up on street view if you really want.

(This is getting a little stalker-y now!)

Dylan Couper
April 1st, 2016, 08:14 AM
Well, we should find out sometime soon, as it's April tomorrow.

About time. Sick of seeing their adverts on Facebook!

Today would be an appropriate day for news...

J. Stephen McDonald
April 2nd, 2016, 02:52 PM
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/476889048012116870/

Dave Allen
April 2nd, 2016, 09:55 PM
Take GoPro like guts, put it in a plastic 3d printed box, fake carbon fiber water graphic coat it, put Chinese 15mm rods and a Chinese convoluted cage around it, call it a sub $1000 cine camera and how you are going to change the cine world without any proof or fact sot back it up, and you too can start your own hipster 'revolution".

David Peterson
April 3rd, 2016, 11:31 PM
Almost no info is out about it. My money is on it being vaporware.

Peer Landa
April 4th, 2016, 12:43 AM
My money is on it being vaporware.

Most every time I call something vaporware I end up eating crow -- for example AJA's Cion.

-- peer

Nathan Buck
April 15th, 2016, 07:35 AM
CRAFT is coming next week.

Greetings!
Yes, we actually exist and have a voice. We are incredibly grateful and humbled by all the support. And because of that, we are only sharing the following email to you—our early adopter email list. We have looked forward to sending this email for months. You should know that we will not publish this anywhere else. That means you are the first to know.

I bet many of you have wondered, “What’s the deal with Craft?" There has been an outpouring of interest for Craft from all over the world and from all walks of life—from Hollywood, indies, corporate marketing departments, agencies, and amateurs. They have reached out by the thousands trying to figure out what we are working on. For over a year, we have been developing the Craft Camera—a new system that we believe will help users tell better stories.

On April 18th around 12pm EST, we will announce Craft Camera on craftcamera.com. This announcement will include initial information, a first glimpse of the Craft Camera, and we will start taking initial reservations. Since Craft Camera is still in development, we won’t be releasing every single detail because we hope to get feedback from reservation holders before we publish final details.

A reservation will require a $500 deposit, your name, email, and phone number. Reservations will only be available on craftcamea.com and will be 100% refundable. Your deposit will be deducted from the total price once you place an order at a later date. As a reservation holder, you will also receive a 10% discount off your final order along with some additional perks like first looks, priority reservations on future products and a few other surprises. Please note we are offering a limited number of reservations which is why we wanted you to know about this first. This means when we hit our limit we will stop taking reservations. No exceptions. The reservations are first come first serve and when the cameras ship, we will do so in the order that the reservation was placed.

The Craft Camera comes in 2 models. There are 4K and HD models with a price range between $699 and $2899 depending on the configuration. Initial units will ship late 2016.

I will leave you with this—we believe there is a huge need for Craft Camera. We believe it is a revolutionary product that will give production alums a great tool to do things they couldn’t do before while opening up storytelling through motion pictures to a whole new generation. With that said, we understand Craft Camera might not be for you and...we are fine with that! We will still treat you with respect and we hope the same from you.

I am truly humbled by all the support, and I hope you become a part of the Craft family.

Keep telling beautiful stories.

Scott Bragg
Founder of Craft Digital Systems Inc.

Jon Fairhurst
April 15th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Hi Nathan (or Scott???),

With an NAB-timed announcement, will you have a presence at NAB?

Ken Diewert
April 15th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Most every time I call something vaporware I end up eating crow -- for example AJA's Cion.

-- peer

I remember back in 2006, when RED just had a pic of a race car on their webpage, with a 'coming soon' note. Lots of calls about 'vapourware' then.

The difference though was Jim Jannard had deep pockets from Oakley fame. And a track record in business. And even still, Red was very slow to develop, and late on delivery. Black Magic is chronically slow and late to deliver. I've been waiting to see how the Ursa mini 4.6k turns out - so far, not so good - and these are established companies...

Maybe I'm missing something with Craft, but they don't seem to have any other name associated to it other than Scott Bragg... and his linkedin profile doesn't inspire confidence.

I don't mind eating crow if I'm wrong but if they deliver a 4-star product by late 2016 in the price range they are talking about, then I'll definitely serve some up. Until then I'll put my my faith in the Nigerian prince who emailed me recently. He said If I give him $500 he says he'll pay me back 10 million. I gave him my bank account number so he can wire it in directly.

Chris Hurd
April 16th, 2016, 06:52 AM
Hi Nathan (or Scott???),

I'm pretty sure that was Nathan quoting Scott.

Although around here I'd really prefer that quotes are referenced as such, instead of relying on us to assume it.

Gary Huff
April 16th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Although around here I'd really prefer that quotes are referenced as such, instead of relying on us to assume it.

It's not hard to do at all. For example:

Greetings!

Yes, we actually exist and have a voice. We are incredibly grateful and humbled by all the support. And because of that, we are only sharing the following email to you—our early adopter email list. We have looked forward to sending this email for months. You should know that we will not publish this anywhere else. That means you are the first to know.

I bet many of you have wondered, “What’s the deal with Craft?" There has been an outpouring of interest for Craft from all over the world and from all walks of life—from Hollywood, indies, corporate marketing departments, agencies, and amateurs. They have reached out by the thousands trying to figure out what we are working on. For over a year, we have been developing the Craft Camera—a new system that we believe will help users tell better stories.

On April 18th around 12pm EST, we will announce Craft Camera on craftcamera.com. This announcement will include initial information, a first glimpse of the Craft Camera, and we will start taking initial reservations. Since Craft Camera is still in development, we won’t be releasing every single detail because we hope to get feedback from reservation holders before we publish final details.

A reservation will require a $500 deposit, your name, email, and phone number. Reservations will only be available on craftcamea.com and will be 100% refundable. Your deposit will be deducted from the total price once you place an order at a later date. As a reservation holder, you will also receive a 10% discount off your final order along with some additional perks like first looks, priority reservations on future products and a few other surprises. Please note we are offering a limited number of reservations which is why we wanted you to know about this first. This means when we hit our limit we will stop taking reservations. No exceptions. The reservations are first come first serve and when the cameras ship, we will do so in the order that the reservation was placed.

The Craft Camera comes in 2 models. There are 4K and HD models with a price range between $699 and $2899 depending on the configuration. Initial units will ship late 2016.

I will leave you with this—we believe there is a huge need for Craft Camera. We believe it is a revolutionary product that will give production alums a great tool to do things they couldn’t do before while opening up storytelling through motion pictures to a whole new generation. With that said, we understand Craft Camera might not be for you and...we are fine with that! We will still treat you with respect and we hope the same from you.

I am truly humbled by all the support, and I hope you become a part of the Craft family.

Keep telling beautiful stories.

Dylan Couper
April 17th, 2016, 07:34 AM
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/476889048012116870/

This is actually a great link.... Some really nice camera art!

Nathan Buck
April 18th, 2016, 02:30 AM
I'm pretty sure that was Nathan quoting Scott.

Oops! My bad. Yes, I have nothing to do with Craft. Will stick quotes in for any future posts!

Douglas Call
April 18th, 2016, 04:55 AM
You can always search for verification of most corporations by searching on the state's division of corporation online corporate search portal. You just have to know which state the corporation was initially incorporated in.
Georgia's Div or Corp search portal:
https://ecorp.sos.ga.gov/BusinessSearch

You would just enter this corporate name: CRAFT DIGITAL SYSTEMS, INC
and see if a public record exists for the corporation. However this kind of search often just validates that the corporation does in fact exist and is active or not. And of course who owns it and their business address etc.

Glen Vandermolen
April 18th, 2016, 06:36 AM
I don't mind eating crow if I'm wrong but if they deliver a 4-star product by late 2016 in the price range they are talking about, then I'll definitely serve some up. Until then I'll put my my faith in the Nigerian prince who emailed me recently. He said If I give him $500 he says he'll pay me back 10 million. I gave him my bank account number so he can wire it in directly.

WHAT!?!?
The prince told me I'll get $5 million! How come he's giving you more?

Nathan Buck
April 18th, 2016, 10:03 AM
It's here....

Introducing Craft Camera (http://www.craftcamera.com/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Craft%20Has%20Landed&utm_content=Craft%20Has%20Landed+CID_7f207b73c6895d3dc9a60acfc84556d6&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software%20campaign%20manager&utm_term=LEARN%20MORE)

Noa Put
April 18th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Transformers! Nice design, I see MFT mount is only for the "HD" version, it does however not look easy to control for run and gun, seems more like a camera for controlled situations. Looks like a blackmagic design camera on steroids.

Dylan Couper
April 18th, 2016, 10:31 AM
What's the best meme for "I am disappoint"?

Glen Vandermolen
April 18th, 2016, 10:56 AM
I like it! Modular design, very cool. Just add what you need per shoot.

Douglas Call
April 18th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Didn't notice any quick access elements available for White Balance, Gain controls, Audio Levels, Color Temp, Monitor levels etc. It looks like the camera could end up being quite long. I wonder if the Battery element is V-mount or Anton-Bauer type mount. I guess the SDI connector suitable for 4K would be 3G-SDI depending on bit depth etc.

Noa Put
April 18th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Didn't notice any quick access elements available for White Balance, Gain controls, Audio Levels, Color Temp, Monitor levels etc.

That was my impression as well, might be controlled with touch screen and/or joystick like with the black magic camera, in other words making the camera only suitable for controlled environments.

Evan Donn
April 20th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Didn't notice any quick access elements available for White Balance, Gain controls, Audio Levels, Color Temp, Monitor levels etc.

The thing is with a modular design like this if there's enough demand for those they could simply add a control module which has dedicated or programmable buttons for direct control. It also looks like the handgrip has several programmable buttons already.

It looks like the camera could end up being quite long.

It's hard to get a sense of scale from the pictures but this actually looks to be a very small camera. Width & height are both under 4", and each module is no more than 1.5" thick. On the tech specs page they list a fully assembled "cinema" package as being 6.6" long, so it's really not much larger overall than most mirrorless cameras.

Dennis Hingsberg
April 24th, 2016, 05:15 PM
I went ahead and did my preorder last week. The 4K version.

Call it a leap of faith but if these guys have even an ounce of QC they will be leagues ahead of other low budget super35mm cameras.

I know a lot of skepticism exists right now but these guys are playing their cards right by limiting info until details are finalized instead of making false promises.

I'm excited about what the camera will offer and really looking forward to it.

Andrew Smith
December 2nd, 2016, 08:38 PM
Has anything happened with the Craft Camera and the pre-orders yet? It's been at least six months now.

Andrew

Mark Watson
December 2nd, 2016, 10:00 PM
I found a post in some forum where a guy who pre-ordered the camera decided to cancel and he says they sent him his money back. I still think it's a big scam.