View Full Version : Sony 4K Consumer FDR-AX53 Camcorder - Announced at CES

Jack Zhang
January 5th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Sony Handycam FDR-AX53, HDR-CX675 and HDR-CX455 Release Date, Price and Specs - CNET (http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-handycam-fdr-ax53/)

Key feature: A 16:9 1/2.5'' sensor compared to a 4:3 1/2.3'' sensor. Slight improvement, but don't expect to be shooting features on it.

Expected in March.

Paulo Teixeira
January 5th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Here's a video.
FDR-AX53/AXP55/AX40 - Relive Great Moments | 4K | Handycam® - YouTube

Wacharapong Chiowanich
January 5th, 2016, 09:30 PM
Looking good so far. Dedicated video sensor (Sony's first in this camcorder category in quite a while), first long zoom range in a gimball stabilized system, and last but not least, NO projector (I consider this a good not to have feature). Now wondering if they have changed the battery to yet another new type?

John Nantz
January 5th, 2016, 10:28 PM
The AX53 with the B.O.SS system looks very interesting to me because of the stabilization system because this may be just the ticket for shooting video from a moving boat deck and useful for other situations where cam movement is required.

The sticker price is the same as the AX33 that was released last year in January but I didn’t realize it had a 4:3 format so dodged that ‘feature’.

+1 for the “NO projector, good not to have feature."

Battery: Comes with a NP-FV70 battery so same as the AX100 and, I believe, the AX33

Specifications: https://www.sony.com/electronics/handycam-camcorders/fdr-ax53/specifications

Dave Blackhurst
January 5th, 2016, 10:34 PM
Pix found on the web seem to be the same "FV" series as have been standard for more than a few model years.

The AX33 was a bit disappointing, hopefully this one is a better match/second cam for an AX100. The new Panasonics look fairly nice as well, at least the demo footage looks decent!

Wacharapong Chiowanich
January 5th, 2016, 11:15 PM
Just had the time to watch the above YouTube video on my 1440p tablet. The image looked pretty decent, very good even, though nothing groundbreaking. Could be a perfect holiday palmcorder for many people. You don't know how much you'll miss that gimball until you have shot with one!

Jack Zhang
January 6th, 2016, 01:22 AM
Take a close look at the Sony product page and the "Timecode" section... Is that the X70's display UI? The spec lists 4K 100mbps, but the display shows 4K 60mbps... Marketing mistake? (And a PROJECTOR button?)

Ron Evans
January 6th, 2016, 07:26 AM
I expect the timecode ,if there will be for AVCHD, carryover from the NX30U. None of my XAVC-S cameras have timecode or data code ( FDR-AX1 and FDR-AX100) but they do have data code for AVCHD. I think one needs XAVC, or XAVC-L for these features. If they are there for XAVC-S it may well be that a firmware update will provide them for the FDR-AX1 and FDR-AX100 in the future too !!!!

Not the first time Sony have messed up the specs though !!! We will see.

Ron Evans

Dave Campbell
January 6th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Okay, I keep look at these new 4K cameras and ask is it worth upgrading from my Sony HD camera which has 96g of memory built in?

What do I Really gain? Seems the work flow really is different? What real value to produce output? I make all my family videos into BR iso files that play on a set top box. I love having the menu structure. So going to 4K does not seem to give me any advantages?

Ron Evans
January 6th, 2016, 10:21 AM
If you like the smooth motion of 60P you will loose that with these small UHD cameras that only shoot 30P in UHD. They of course will still shoot AVCHD 2.0 with a new sensor so there may be some advantage even for HD especially with the image stabilizer.

Ron Evans

Paul Rickford
January 18th, 2016, 06:42 AM
This is a nice small camcorder which I had some time with at CES, The LCD is the best I have seen on this type of cam, it has a gloss hard finish and is very sharp, sadly the viewfinder is the same small tunnel type as last years ax33, The AX40 version may be better value with no viewfinder and 64gb memory.
Balanced optical steadyshot works well on the 20x zoom but beware active mode will not work in 4k mode!
There is a new good demo shot in Italy up on the Sony channel now at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7McisZ7v-RdLedtk6d6zRg very impressive image quality.

Paul Rickford
January 18th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Ok, I have tried a few times to link to the video which I tried to attached to my last post, I'm typing in the correct link but still won't work,
If someone more clever can get a link to the YouTube Sony Camera channel video 'FDR-AXp50 series/AX40 -A Journey in Italy (4K) I would be obliged.

Thanks
Paul

Rob Cantwell
January 18th, 2016, 01:30 PM
is this it?

https://youtu.be/eQ0nWnzPVxU

Wacharapong Chiowanich
January 18th, 2016, 06:19 PM
The poster doesn't say what the video was shot with. If it's the AX53 I think the camera did great. You probably couldn't ask more from a palmcorder of this size and price. Doesn't it have Active Steadyshot in 4K? I believe even the outgoing AX33 has it.

Paul Rickford
January 20th, 2016, 05:05 PM
This film is accredited to the AX53 on the YouTube Sony Camera Channel and yes no active in 4K,

Seems 4k is stretching Sony 's engineering still - just the same on the RX10ii, viewfinder dims and active steady-shot is disabled, again A7Rii A7Sii LCD and viewfinder dim in 4K.

Glen Pinno
January 20th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone, i was about to bite the bullet on the AX33 last week, then i happened upon this new AX53 model due for release soon, and i am loving it so much, especially this BOSS stabilization.

however, i just now find out in another forum that the BOSS Active mode does not work in 4k mode.

So can i please ask if someone can explain exactly how the Stabilization works in both 1080p mode, and in 4k mode, because clearly the system does not function fully in 4k mode.

Cheers

Dave Blackhurst
January 21st, 2016, 04:34 PM
I think there may be some confusion between the BOSS gimbal stabilization and additional DIGITAL stabilization?

There is no mechanical reason that BOSS shouldn't work in 4K, but potentially you would not have additional pixels on the sensor for digital stabilization post sensor (plus there would be a "few" more pixels to manipulate for the 4K vs a 1080p image). I only tried the AX33 briefly, and it seemed quite steady when shooting 4K, the magic eyeball was doing it's thing from what I could tell.

The AX53 looks like a big improvement image quality wise over the AX33, will be interested to see how it is when put up against the AX100 with the larger sensor - so far the "small sensor" 4K output has been pretty disappointing.

Jack Zhang
January 21st, 2016, 04:58 PM
I think the logical next step is a 16:9 1'' video only sensor, possibly in a 4K fixed lens replacement to the PXW-X200. However, expect the only 1 stop loss throughout the zoom range from the XDCAM handhelds to be going away.

NAB will be all about HDR and Rec.2020 ready cameras. 10bit 4:2:2 with any luck will be mandatory even with Long-GOP codecs.

Glen Pinno
January 23rd, 2016, 09:05 AM
Thanks, from the footage i have seen with the AX53 as well as the AX33 where they test the BOSS in 4k, it seems pretty dam stable to me, compared to the normal stabilization in other Sony and Panasonic Cams.

Can't wait for it to be released here in Australia, probably well after it arrives in USA (as usual)

J. Stephen McDonald
February 12th, 2016, 04:43 PM
I have just the right telextender for this, the Sony DH-1758. It can be adapted with a ring to the 55mm filter thread. I used it in the past with my Sony HC9, even though it has a 37mm filter thread. Image quality was excellent with it. I have a couple of Raynox 2.2X telextenders that do well, but cause vignetting in all but the upper part of the zoom range. The DH-1758 vignettes on most cameras in only the bottom 35% to 40% of the zoom range. You can't buy a new DH1758 any longer, but there's always some used ones on the online selling websites (although sometimes they're priced outrageously high).

I'm wondering how well one of my diopter viewing loupes would ride on that swivel viewscreen. Since I started using them a couple of years ago, I wouldn't want to be without them. One gives a 2.6X magnification and adjusts to a sharp focus, with wall-to-wall clarity. My ability to see small details and judge the focus and exposure is greatly improved.

Of course, with just 8.3 Megapixels, the Active or hybrid OIS/EIS stabilization wouldn't work with 4K, as there's no margin of extra pixels around the active sensing zone. But I expect that it would function with 1080 video and might also give more of a magnification effect.

I'm glad to see it has both a hotshoe and stereo miniplug capability for extra mikes, plus a headphone jack. My stubby little XYS-T1M hotshoe mike has done surprising well on a photo camera and might be an advantage on this camcorder. It picks up no operating noise nor any of the grunts or heavy breathing from me. It's far better than the built-in mikes for distant sounds. Today, I'd have dead-cat windscreens, instead of those nearly-worthless foam socks.

I wouldn't recommend using any of the photo sizes above 8-MP. Those with larger sizes have been extrapolated and you'd just be using up encoding storage and lowering the quality.

Here's a link to an old photo showing the telextender on my HC9, along with a Sony MS907 mini stereo mike and a shoulder-mount. This could all work the same way on an AX-53 with the added possibility of a hotshoe mike.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3222/2337252318_9ab8fa3cc0_o.jpg

J. Stephen McDonald
February 14th, 2016, 05:48 PM
I just realized that this has a touchscreen. This might rule out using a diopter viewing loupe, unless all the necessary functions can be reached by the regular controls.

Cliff Totten
February 16th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Looking at the blank space on the top of this camera under the hot shoe door and blank area on the bottom side where a headphone jack is missing...I strongly believe a "pro" version of this camera is on the way soon. A model to replace the NXCAM NX30.

Oddly enough...go to Sony.com's Web page for the AX53. Look at those photos! Some show a model with a projector focus over the screen while others show a "projector" button the side of their "AX53".

It seems a projector model did exist but was pulled at the last minute, AFTER marketing photos had already been created. Funny huh?

How much you wanna bet that tge "pro" sister model will have the top handle and projector with it?

Sony has a very long history of releasing a consumer and pro versions of the same basic camcorder.

Can't wait for NAB!

Wacharapong Chiowanich
February 16th, 2016, 06:26 PM
A pro model of this AX53 is possible but I think the projector feature is highly unlikely. Unless, again this is also very unlikely, a projector capable of an extremely short-throw and steep-angle beam like the latest compact model launched recently by Sony can somehow be built into the camera.

Matt Sharp
February 16th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Oddly enough...go to Sony.com's Web page for the AX53. Look at those photos! Some show a model with a projector focus over the screen while others show a "projector" button the side of their "AX53".

It seems a projector model did exist but was pulled at the last minute, AFTER marketing photos had already been created. Funny huh?

The projector version is the AXP55. Not sold in all markets.

AXP55 4K Handycam® with Built-in projector | FDR-AXP55 | Sony Asia Pacific (http://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/handycam-camcorders/fdr-axp55)

Cliff Totten
February 16th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Nice spot! I'm sure the "pro" version will have the projector in it.

I wonder what the price point will be. It will have to come under the X70. The X70 has SDI out as well as 10bit 1080 and has a good set of picture profiles. I'm guessing this "Pro" AX53/AXP55 sister won't have these X70 features or its IP streaming ability.

Another AX53 question is, how much manual control will Sony allow it? Will it have the classic shutter speed/ gain / Iris cripple? Take your pick of one but the other 2 get forced into auto. Sony won't give you all three at the same time. Classic and old Sony trick ;-)

Very interesting!

Noa Put
February 17th, 2016, 02:34 AM
That projector is a gimmick for the soccermoms who don't do any editing and want to use the camera to see with the family what they shot when they are on holiday, you won't find this back on any "pro" camera, unless any professional could tell me what they would use that feature for? I always thought the x70 was the nx30 replacement?

Glen Pinno
February 24th, 2016, 10:47 PM
Has anyone found any more info about the lack of BOSS or Active mode stabilization in 4k mode ?

Pretty frustrating, and a lot of confusion going on, and Sony seriously needs to fess up on this topic and clear the air once and for all.

It will obviously have Stabilization, but which one ?

Cliff Totten
February 25th, 2016, 01:59 PM
No BOSS stabilization in 4k?

Ouch...wonder if the future pro model will have this limitation.

If not, than this model is still born as far as I'm concerned.

Luis A. Diaz
February 25th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Yes, check the AVS Forum under camcorders, plenty of information there and many new clips on the AX-55 which is the Asian version of the AX-53 in the USA,
apparently the camera has already been released in Japan. No limitation for BOSS stabilization, the Sony site fails to explain that the 5 axis Stabilization is a NEW I REPEAT A NEW stabilization system that was borrowed from the Ar7II and is of limited value for certain situations only. but the BOSS STABILIZATION WORKS IN BOTH 4K AND HD while the New 5 axis only works for HD. The Sony site does not explain this very well at all and is confusing. Check the AVS Forum under camcorders.

Thanks,
Luis

Dave Blackhurst
February 26th, 2016, 07:32 PM
There would be no reason that the BOSS optical wouldn't work, as the sensor and lens are moving together with gimbal/gyro stabilization.

Digital stabilization would be a different matter, as it often relies on "spare" pixels that I'm guessing are either not available, or represent too much mathematical manipulation to achieve with the higher resolution.

Nigel Barker
March 2nd, 2016, 03:03 AM
IThe AX53 looks like a big improvement image quality wise over the AX33, will be interested to see how it is when put up against the AX100 with the larger sensor - so far the "small sensor" 4K output has been pretty disappointing.
This is good news. I bought & then returned an AX33 as the image in 4K was so poor when directly compared to the AX100. A shame as the stabilisation was very good & better than the AX100. Without the AX100 for comparison I might not have realised how mushy & lacking in detail the AX33 was in 4K.