Sony 4K Consumer FDR-AX53 Camcorder - Announced at CES at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old January 5th, 2016, 07:22 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Sony 4K Consumer FDR-AX53 Camcorder - Announced at CES

Sony Handycam FDR-AX53, HDR-CX675 and HDR-CX455 Release Date, Price and Specs - CNET

Key feature: A 16:9 1/2.5'' sensor compared to a 4:3 1/2.3'' sensor. Slight improvement, but don't expect to be shooting features on it.

Expected in March.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 08:29 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony 4K Consumer FDR-AX53 Camcorder - Announced at CES

Here's a video.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Looking good so far. Dedicated video sensor (Sony's first in this camcorder category in quite a while), first long zoom range in a gimball stabilized system, and last but not least, NO projector (I consider this a good not to have feature). Now wondering if they have changed the battery to yet another new type?
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 10:28 PM   #4
Trustee

The AX53 with the B.O.SS system looks very interesting to me because of the stabilization system because this may be just the ticket for shooting video from a moving boat deck and useful for other situations where cam movement is required.

The sticker price is the same as the AX33 that was released last year in January but I didn’t realize it had a 4:3 format so dodged that ‘feature’.

+1 for the “NO projector, good not to have feature."

Battery: Comes with a NP-FV70 battery so same as the AX100 and, I believe, the AX33

Specifications: https://www.sony.com/electronics/han...specifications
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 10:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Pix found on the web seem to be the same "FV" series as have been standard for more than a few model years.

The AX33 was a bit disappointing, hopefully this one is a better match/second cam for an AX100. The new Panasonics look fairly nice as well, at least the demo footage looks decent!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 11:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Just had the time to watch the above YouTube video on my 1440p tablet. The image looked pretty decent, very good even, though nothing groundbreaking. Could be a perfect holiday palmcorder for many people. You don't know how much you'll miss that gimball until you have shot with one!
Old January 6th, 2016, 01:22 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Take a close look at the Sony product page and the "Timecode" section... Is that the X70's display UI? The spec lists 4K 100mbps, but the display shows 4K 60mbps... Marketing mistake? (And a PROJECTOR button?)
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 07:26 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I expect the timecode ,if there will be for AVCHD, carryover from the NX30U. None of my XAVC-S cameras have timecode or data code ( FDR-AX1 and FDR-AX100) but they do have data code for AVCHD. I think one needs XAVC, or XAVC-L for these features. If they are there for XAVC-S it may well be that a firmware update will provide them for the FDR-AX1 and FDR-AX100 in the future too !!!!

Not the first time Sony have messed up the specs though !!! We will see.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 09:42 AM   #9
Major Player

Okay, I keep look at these new 4K cameras and ask is it worth upgrading from my Sony HD camera which has 96g of memory built in?

What do I Really gain? Seems the work flow really is different? What real value to produce output? I make all my family videos into BR iso files that play on a set top box. I love having the menu structure. So going to 4K does not seem to give me any advantages?
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 10:21 AM   #10
Inner Circle

If you like the smooth motion of 60P you will loose that with these small UHD cameras that only shoot 30P in UHD. They of course will still shoot AVCHD 2.0 with a new sensor so there may be some advantage even for HD especially with the image stabilizer.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 06:42 AM   #11
Regular Crew

This is a nice small camcorder which I had some time with at CES, The LCD is the best I have seen on this type of cam, it has a gloss hard finish and is very sharp, sadly the viewfinder is the same small tunnel type as last years ax33, The AX40 version may be better value with no viewfinder and 64gb memory.
Balanced optical steadyshot works well on the 20x zoom but beware active mode will not work in 4k mode!
There is a new good demo shot in Italy up on the Sony channel now at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7M...-RdLedtk6d6zRg very impressive image quality.
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 07:08 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Ok, I have tried a few times to link to the video which I tried to attached to my last post, I'm typing in the correct link but still won't work,
If someone more clever can get a link to the YouTube Sony Camera channel video 'FDR-AXp50 series/AX40 -A Journey in Italy (4K) I would be obliged.

Thanks
Paul
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 01:30 PM   #13
Major Player

is this it?

Old January 18th, 2016, 06:19 PM   #14
Major Player

The poster doesn't say what the video was shot with. If it's the AX53 I think the camera did great. You probably couldn't ask more from a palmcorder of this size and price. Doesn't it have Active Steadyshot in 4K? I believe even the outgoing AX33 has it.
Old January 20th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #15
Regular Crew

This film is accredited to the AX53 on the YouTube Sony Camera Channel and yes no active in 4K,

Seems 4k is stretching Sony 's engineering still - just the same on the RX10ii, viewfinder dims and active steady-shot is disabled, again A7Rii A7Sii LCD and viewfinder dim in 4K.
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News