View Full Version : What is going on at B&H and Canon?

Bob Safay
January 24th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Anyone know what is going on between B&H and Canon? I whet to look up prices on Canon video equipment and EVERY Canon camcorder from the C300 MII down comes with the following caveat:

"Item is non-cancelable and non-returnable"

This is ONLY on Canon products! Bob

Troy Moss
January 24th, 2017, 07:34 PM
It's always been that way! That's not new. B&H doesn't want you to use the camera, then return it for a refund. It's that simple..............

Pete Cofrancesco
January 24th, 2017, 11:02 PM
My guess is C100-300 are popular for short usage things like weddings, commercial, indie filming. And this was a reaction to unscrupulous people taking advantage of B&Hs generous return policy.

Noa Put
January 25th, 2017, 05:13 AM
Where I live that is standard practice on every camera you buy, you buy and use it, you keep it. The only exception to the rule is that for online purchases there is a 2 week "change of mind period" where you can return the article and get your money back but there may not be any signs of usage or you have to keep it anyway.

Bob Safay
January 25th, 2017, 05:54 AM
I understand that about using a product and then returning it. My question is, why is it only on Canon camcorders? Neither Sony, Panasonic, JVC or any other brand carries that disclaimer.

Nate Haustein
January 25th, 2017, 12:39 PM
I wonder if B&H strong-arms manufacturers into stock agreements that benefit the retailer. It's not uncommon for large companies to have the market share necessary to sway deals with manufacturers to their favor. Maybe Canon said "Nope" to giving B&H a large number of Cinema EOS cameras upfront when the retailer likely wants/expects to return the unsold merchandise down the road. C100/300s seem to sell themselves, so perhaps the need to cater to a gigantic retailer wasn't as important in this particular case.

Just my guess!

Pete Cofrancesco
January 25th, 2017, 02:59 PM
I agree with Nate its a power struggle over whether the manufacture or retailer gets to dictate terms over inventory/returns. I just assumed returns stayed with the retailer but maybe they don't. I also noticed that before Christmas B&H ran out of the C100. Which I thought was odd since it's not a new camera.

Barry Goyette
January 27th, 2017, 10:33 AM
Canon's policy on Cinema EOS products with all of it's dealers is "no returns", and it's been that way since day one, at least as I understand. Every invoice I have from Samy's for C-EOS cameras and lenses has a big "non-returnable" after each item.