What is going on at B&H and Canon? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old January 24th, 2017, 03:55 PM   #1
Trustee

What is going on at B&H and Canon?

Anyone know what is going on between B&H and Canon? I whet to look up prices on Canon video equipment and EVERY Canon camcorder from the C300 MII down comes with the following caveat:

"Item is non-cancelable and non-returnable"

This is ONLY on Canon products! Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: What is going on at B&H and Canon?

It's always been that way! That's not new. B&H doesn't want you to use the camera, then return it for a refund. It's that simple..............
Troy Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 11:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

My guess is C100-300 are popular for short usage things like weddings, commercial, indie filming. And this was a reaction to unscrupulous people taking advantage of B&Hs generous return policy.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 05:13 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Where I live that is standard practice on every camera you buy, you buy and use it, you keep it. The only exception to the rule is that for online purchases there is a 2 week "change of mind period" where you can return the article and get your money back but there may not be any signs of usage or you have to keep it anyway.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 05:54 AM   #5
Trustee

I understand that about using a product and then returning it. My question is, why is it only on Canon camcorders? Neither Sony, Panasonic, JVC or any other brand carries that disclaimer.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 12:39 PM   #6
Trustee

I wonder if B&H strong-arms manufacturers into stock agreements that benefit the retailer. It's not uncommon for large companies to have the market share necessary to sway deals with manufacturers to their favor. Maybe Canon said "Nope" to giving B&H a large number of Cinema EOS cameras upfront when the retailer likely wants/expects to return the unsold merchandise down the road. C100/300s seem to sell themselves, so perhaps the need to cater to a gigantic retailer wasn't as important in this particular case.

Just my guess!
Old January 25th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I agree with Nate its a power struggle over whether the manufacture or retailer gets to dictate terms over inventory/returns. I just assumed returns stayed with the retailer but maybe they don't. I also noticed that before Christmas B&H ran out of the C100. Which I thought was odd since it's not a new camera.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 10:33 AM   #8
Trustee

Canon's policy on Cinema EOS products with all of it's dealers is "no returns", and it's been that way since day one, at least as I understand. Every invoice I have from Samy's for C-EOS cameras and lenses has a big "non-returnable" after each item.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems