View Full Version : GH5 2160p29 4:2:2 10 bit workflow?

Roger Keay
May 2nd, 2017, 04:22 PM
Premiere Pro 2017 and Resolve 12.5.5 don't work with the GH5 10 bit files. VLC will play them back. Has anyone come up with a workflow to convert these files into an edit friendly format?

Bo Skelmose
May 2nd, 2017, 06:00 PM
Hi
I use Sony Content browser to convert them. Sorry Catalyst Browse...

Roger Keay
May 3rd, 2017, 08:16 AM
Thanks Bo, I will try your suggestion.

Noa Put
May 3rd, 2017, 08:36 AM
Or you can wait until adobe updates premiere, untill then converting it is your only option. The problem is not the codec but the fact that Premiere is late to the party to make the necessary adjustments to make it work, Edius from grassvalley handles these 10bit files just fine.

Roger Keay
May 3rd, 2017, 06:16 PM
I tried the Sony software trial version but .mov format files were not recognised.

Bo Skelmose
May 5th, 2017, 02:43 AM
Weird - you have seen I wrote wrong it's Catalyst Browse for Sony...

Roger Keay
May 5th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Bo, I misunderstood your first post. I tried Content Browser which didn't work for me. I downloaded and installed Catalyst 2017 which works fine!

A couple of additional questions. What conversion output do you use? Are you using Resolve for editing and color correction?

Thanks.

Mark Williams
May 5th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Native GH5 10 bit files play fine in Edius 8.5.

Bo Skelmose
May 6th, 2017, 02:50 AM
I use a Sony XAVC format for export of UHD. The conversion works fine and quick and the renaiming of clips make it easy to find the reel clips. Until further this works but Adobe will soon come with a update so conversion wont be nessesary for so long. No reason to change editing platform as Adobe said the GH5 update of CC will be out latest at june.

Roger Keay
May 6th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Catalyst is a good piece of software. I found it easy to use with useful options.

I batch converted files and used Task Manager to watch how the CPU was doing. The software drove it to almost 100% for the duration of conversion process. Some pieces of software don't fully utilize the available resources in the computer but this isn't one of them.