View Full Version : Mourning the loss of my x70 to E62:10

Craig Seeman
October 20th, 2017, 05:30 PM
Out on a shoot today and after shooting some test clips the camera threw an E62:10 error.
I did a reset (Initialize I think in the menu). Error message was still there.
Noticed I could adjust focus.

Contacted Sony Tech Support and the said E62:10 is lens block impacting Focus and Stabilization.
I guess I'll send the camera off to Teaneck NJ and see what the estimate is.
This camera was well taken care of too.

BTW the ultimate sucky thing is I bought it early August 2015 with American Express which extends the manufacturers warranty by one year. So it's only about 8 weeks past the warranty period.

Christopher Young
October 20th, 2017, 11:00 PM
Try this. A camera op I know said it worked worked for him.

Have the camera off and point the lens straight down at 90 degrees from horizontal. Turn camera on. Let it go through its full boot up. Turn the camera bact to horizontal and see if the error has gone.

This is how it was explained to me:

The lens internals are free floating when the camera is off and apparently when the camera is off should it get a bump the lens elements can move then when the camera is turned back on again the focus positioning loses the plot. By tilting the camera 90 degrees down when it's off the lens elements run back to their foremost position then when the camera is turned back on, while still pointed straight down, the lens positioning software reads the lens element positioning correctly and resets to function from that position.

Would LOVE to know if this works for you.

Here is a Youtube video on the issue:

how to bypass the Error 61:10 from sony camcorder - YouTube

If you search the tube for this error E62:10 you will find many solutions. Some quite brutal ones like tapping the camera firmly against a desk or table top to 'un-stick' a jammed lens.

Good luck!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Donald McPherson
October 21st, 2017, 03:21 AM
I also had this. But can't remember if it was 61 or 62. But this invert trick worked for me.

Craig Seeman
October 21st, 2017, 08:32 AM
Thanks both of you for the tips.

Unfortunately neither worked for me. Thanks for offering suggestions though.

Craig Seeman
October 21st, 2017, 08:55 AM
Christopher, Donald, I began thinking that the angle of restart might depend on which direction it was thrown out of alignment.

I flipped the camera upside down (handle side on the table) and turned it out. Low and behold, error message is gone.

Thanks for inspiring the thought.

So it isn't necessarily 90° but the angle needed probably is related to the angle out of alignment. So I'd revise that to try different angles. In my case upside down worked.

Thanks! I owe you the liquid libation of your choice.

Christopher Young
October 21st, 2017, 10:00 AM
Good one!

So it's all in the angle of the dangle eh!

Happy the suggestions inspired your thinking :))

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Donald McPherson
October 21st, 2017, 12:38 PM
Somebody posted about storing your camera vertically to help stop this type of problem.
But glad it worked out for you. Sometimes the bizarre ideas work.

Kevin Lau
October 21st, 2017, 07:10 PM
It's sounding like this is a pretty typical lens block failure on this model. Mine experienced this a couple weeks into ownership, and you could actually see that it had completely lost control of the stabilization prism and the image would flop around left to right with handling - even with the stabilization feature / SteadyShot shut off in menus. The upside down start up position trick did eliminate the boot up error, but you could still see there was obviously something very wrong.

My repair experience was a couple months due to parts lead time. I inquired further with POSC and they claimed that this was an improved revised part to resolve the issue for good, and was not merely a like-for-like replacement that would fail again in the same way (most likely right out of warranty).

I was curious about the lens 'safe parking position' as some other fixed-lens camera models do this - they will zoom in fully on a graceful shutdown whereas the X70 optics would appear to stay in the same spot when you turn it off by the LCD lid closure or the side panel power button.