View Full Version : Calling all bird clips

Catherine Russell
May 21st, 2019, 01:45 PM
Hi everyone

I haven't had the opportunity to visit the UWOL forum for awhile until I posted yesterday evening when I very belatedly learned that Mat Thompson had passed away. That is when I saw the theme for this round and all the interesting things you guys are doing with it.

I personally thought this was a really challenging theme, but an idea occurred to me and I was hoping I could try the idea out for size and attempt to submit something as a guest, not for judging and all in fun. But as this entry would break all the UWOL rules except for rule 11, I was hoping I could really go all out in breaking the rules and have you all help me out. Since I just saw the theme yesterday I only have about 9 days to try to pull this idea together.

I thought that it could be a community submission but all I'm asking of you is if you have any bird clips in your repertoire that you wouldn't mind sharing with me for this guest submission then I would be delighted to incorporate your footage and give you credit for the specific clip you allowed me to use.

What I specifically need is any bird footage of birds singing, calling, or making noise. Any duration is fine. What is important is I need this audio of the birds singing or calling as much as I need the video. The clips can have been taken a long time ago and just sitting around gathering dust. I don't want this to be a hassle for anyone, especially since you are working overtime to wrap up your challenge-worthy films on time. So if this is too much to ask then no worries!

I ran this by Trond and he offered to open a vimeo link for bird clips to be uploaded to so that I can download them and use them. Your clips will only be used for this one little entry, promise!

Anyway! I thought my theme idea was worth the try to see if any of you jump on this with me! All in fun, I can't imagine anyone helping me out with a clip and still have to jump in the shark tank if you didn't get a film submitted. So think about it! This might be an easy way of avoiding those sharks if you weren't going to get a video in this round.

Thanks so much, and have fun with your own challenges!

Cat

Ronald Jackson
May 21st, 2019, 04:17 PM
How do we get such clips to you?

Ron

Catherine Russell
May 21st, 2019, 04:56 PM
Hi Ron:

Trond can weigh in on this, but I think he will set up a Vimeo upload link so you can upload a clip like you normally do when you submit a challenge video. I will be able to download it from the Vimeo site from there.

Thanks for being interested! :)

Cat

Trond Saetre
May 21st, 2019, 10:09 PM
To submit video clips to Catherine:

Option 1:
https://wetransfer.com/upload
This would be the easiest way to transfer the video files. (Free version limited to 2GB file sizes)
Update: The sender needs the receiver's (Cat's) email address, to send the video file.

Option 2:
You can upload the video file to the UWOL Vimeo account, and then Catherine can download from there.
After this is completed, the uploaded file is then deleted from Vimeo.
Please send an email to uwol@dvinfo.net to receive the upload details.

Ronald Jackson
May 23rd, 2019, 12:48 AM
Well I could send this off albeit some background noise inc a bit of piling going on at a nearby farm:

https://youtu.be/-s5QEtHO7Vk

A Skylark by the way, a well known Old World singer from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

Bob Safay
May 23rd, 2019, 05:50 AM
Cat, count me in. Bob

Catherine Russell
May 23rd, 2019, 07:33 AM
Hey! Thank you!

Ron, your clip is absolutely splendid! It will grace this "quick" project beautifully.

Bob, LOL, you are traveling and on the road, but I can never count you out. It's just who you are.

Welcome you guys, we are now collaborators. I couldn't do this without you. And if by chance you weren't coming up with a film this round, I know Trond will agree, you saved yourself from the sharks. ;-)

I am waiting on a crucial participant on my end. If I can't pull that part of it together, I'm afraid our best efforts won't pan out. Here's to hoping though, as the race against the clock is well underway. If it does fall through on my end, I knew it certainly wouldn't be because of the UWOL community. You guys are great!

Cat

Trond Saetre
May 23rd, 2019, 09:25 AM
... if by chance you weren't coming up with a film this round, I know Trond will agree, you saved yourself from the sharks. ;-)

Agreed, on the condition that Rule 11 is strictly followed ;)

Collaborate with others, is encouraged and has been done for previous challenges too.
(Of course this time, the final film will be an unofficial entry, just like mine always are.)

Mick Jenner
May 23rd, 2019, 10:23 AM
Hi Catherine,

Sorry, would have loved to have to help out but I am away at the moment and won't be back until the 30th.

Best of luck with the concept, look forward to watching the film.

Mick

Gordon Hoffman
May 24th, 2019, 07:24 AM
Cat I may have some shots for you. It's part of my idea for this round if I can get the time to get it done.

Gordon

Catherine Russell
May 24th, 2019, 10:18 AM
Hi Gordon, Mick, Trond, Bob and Ron:

Thanks again for everything! Most importantly is no hassles on your part. I'm hanging in there, and really it's your thought that is the very most important thing of all.

So when I say crazy, I mean crazy! I'm lining up a studio shoot for Tuesday, I've shot some footage myself yesterday and will only have a few days to pull it all together. This is ridiculous, but Ron (et al) has already made it possible, and so are some other people who are key, I've lined up on my end. And honestly, I would never have considered doing this if I didn't think the theme and the idea were worth it!

You guys are fun! And who knows? Shoot for the stars and you just might catch the moon! :)

Cat

PS: Trond, are we set up for transferring files through Vimeo? I will need this as soon as possible so I can start working with Ron's footage. Cheers all!

Gordon Hoffman
May 24th, 2019, 12:07 PM
Hi Cat. Do I understand it right that you have the footage you need or are you are still looking for more.
Thanks.

Gordon

Trond Saetre
May 24th, 2019, 01:49 PM
PS: Trond, are we set up for transferring files through Vimeo? I will need this as soon as possible so I can start working with Ron's footage. Cheers all!
Yes, our UWOL vimeo account is always available.

As stated in my earlier post, the upload details should be requested by sending an email to me at uwol@dvinfo.net. (this is same procedure as uploading for the challenges)
(Can't make that public here)

Catherine, I have sent the details to your email.

Catherine Russell
May 24th, 2019, 03:12 PM
Thanks Trond. I'll give things a try right now...

Okay, great! I can get on and be able to download easily. Ron, anytime you would like to upload your Skylark clip, I'm ready when you are.

Trond, thanks for making this seamless and easy to do.

Thanks all for the support, I'm really on a limb now!

Cat

Trond Saetre
May 25th, 2019, 03:24 AM
File transfer via Wetransfer can be sent to uwol@dvinfo.net.

This is probably the most convenient, and I'll forward the info to Catherine.
That way, you don't have to wait for Catherine's email.

Secondary solution is uploading to our uwol vimeo account.

Catherine Russell
May 25th, 2019, 08:47 AM
Oh okay, I'm slow to get the process.

We Transfer is great too, I've done lots of transfers on that platform. The clip(s) can be sent directly to me at cat@spikeproductions.com.

Thanks!

Cat

Trond Saetre
May 25th, 2019, 01:07 PM
I got some footage today... well, only audio of birds singing. Those little creatures are way to clever, hiding in the trees.

But if it helps, I can send some to you tomorrow.

Catherine Russell
May 25th, 2019, 03:29 PM
Sure, send it over Trond. Thanks for all the effort!

Trond Saetre
May 26th, 2019, 01:09 AM
I'll do my best to send over what might be useful.
Hope many are able and willing to contribute. I'm looking forward to see the final film.

Ronald Jackson
May 26th, 2019, 01:14 AM
Just send three "We Transfer" e-mails to cat@spikeproductions.com

First one Skylark and Blackbird (the European one, relative of the American Robin, "four and twenty blackbirds" and "Blackbird singing in the dead of night")

Second Corn Bunting and Whitethroat (Corn Bunt song supposedly like a jingling set of keys) Whitethroat a member of the Old World warbler family and a summer visitor to Europe.(See "Home-Thoughts From Abroad"by R. Browning)

Third (Barn) Swallows, same as N American ones except ours winter in Africa and yours winter in S America.

Ron

ps plenty more where those came from!

Catherine Russell
May 26th, 2019, 09:02 AM
Ron and Trond:

Thank you so much! Because of your contributions, this part of the project is an incredible success! I also have been able to get some footage, it is springtime here and we have Western Meadow Larks and Spotted Towhees singing.

Bob and anyone else, please feel free to contribute. I will incorporate anything that is given to me, for this really is a community effort. This being said, the pressure is off in case you are having trouble finding the right clip. I now have plenty to work with.

This will be a herculean effort to pull off by Friday upload time, but until I hit a snag that really stops things cold, I'm going for it with all I've got!

Today I'm sitting in an empty closed office building on a Sunday waiting for a delivery of materials for my experimental film shoot at my office scheduled for Tuesday. Long story! But the big thing today is receiving the delivery successfully. If it somehow doesn't happen, then I'm in deep trouble. But it should happen, even if I sit here all day and part of the evening to get it!

I'm sincerely hoping this experiment will turn out beautifully. If not, I'll put up what I have and you can all advise me as to why my idea didn't work. It's all good.

Thanks for the support. This has been a great way to crash back into filming again!

Cat

Trond Saetre
May 26th, 2019, 09:20 AM
Birds are smart and hide very quickly! Didn't get any useful footage, but got some audio. An audio file of birds singing, is sent.

Trond Saetre
May 26th, 2019, 10:18 AM
How do we get such clips to you?

Ron
I have tried to answer your email, but somehow my answers got classified as spam.
But I see Catherine has posted her email address here in this thread, so hopefully all is good anyway.

Catherine Russell
May 26th, 2019, 11:43 AM
So far so good. I'm downloading Ron's files via We Transfer now. I also was able to intercept the delivery I was concerned about missing. Trond, not only will I be downloading what you sent me soon, but Gordon, it looks like you also have sent me something via We Transfer. If I run into any problems with these down loads, I'll let you know.

I feel so honored! Thanks all.

Cat

Gordon Hoffman
May 26th, 2019, 12:16 PM
Cat I hope it is useful to you. I forgot my audio recorder the other evening but I had an older one in the bottom of the box with the mike so I managed to get some audio though not the best. Good thing I did grab some batteries before I left home. I was holding out to get a western meadowlark for you but I see you got that yourself. Weather has been rain and rain showers for the last week so I'm still hoping to get it for myself.

Gordon

Vishal Jadhav
May 27th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Was travelling , just managed to get one bird calling sent which is a Rain Quail have sent it via Wetransfer, Its now peak of summers and everyone waiting for the monsoons to arrive and these birds come to us at the advent of monsoon some of the western parts received first folks of these in last few days.

Catherine Russell
May 27th, 2019, 10:47 AM
Vishal:

Thank you so much for thinking of me and contributing this little last minute project! I've just downloaded the clip. It's beautiful and how wonderful these birds are just coming in ahead of the monsoon season. What a catch.

Thanks again!
Cat

Catherine Russell
May 28th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Hi friends:

I have downloads video from: Ron, Gordon, Bob and Vishal. I have also downloaded an audio file from Trond.

Is this everyone? Please confirm if I've missed someone.

Thanks again all for contributing to this community project. I really appreciate the support.

Cat