Calling all bird clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 21st, 2019, 01:45 PM   #1
Trustee

Calling all bird clips

Hi everyone

I haven't had the opportunity to visit the UWOL forum for awhile until I posted yesterday evening when I very belatedly learned that Mat Thompson had passed away. That is when I saw the theme for this round and all the interesting things you guys are doing with it.

I personally thought this was a really challenging theme, but an idea occurred to me and I was hoping I could try the idea out for size and attempt to submit something as a guest, not for judging and all in fun. But as this entry would break all the UWOL rules except for rule 11, I was hoping I could really go all out in breaking the rules and have you all help me out. Since I just saw the theme yesterday I only have about 9 days to try to pull this idea together.

I thought that it could be a community submission but all I'm asking of you is if you have any bird clips in your repertoire that you wouldn't mind sharing with me for this guest submission then I would be delighted to incorporate your footage and give you credit for the specific clip you allowed me to use.

What I specifically need is any bird footage of birds singing, calling, or making noise. Any duration is fine. What is important is I need this audio of the birds singing or calling as much as I need the video. The clips can have been taken a long time ago and just sitting around gathering dust. I don't want this to be a hassle for anyone, especially since you are working overtime to wrap up your challenge-worthy films on time. So if this is too much to ask then no worries!

I ran this by Trond and he offered to open a vimeo link for bird clips to be uploaded to so that I can download them and use them. Your clips will only be used for this one little entry, promise!

Anyway! I thought my theme idea was worth the try to see if any of you jump on this with me! All in fun, I can't imagine anyone helping me out with a clip and still have to jump in the shark tank if you didn't get a film submitted. So think about it! This might be an easy way of avoiding those sharks if you weren't going to get a video in this round.

Thanks so much, and have fun with your own challenges!

Cat

Last edited by Catherine Russell; May 22nd, 2019 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Specifically require video footage of birds singing or calling with audio.
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 04:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Calling all bird clips

How do we get such clips to you?

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 04:56 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Ron:

Trond can weigh in on this, but I think he will set up a Vimeo upload link so you can upload a clip like you normally do when you submit a challenge video. I will be able to download it from the Vimeo site from there.

Thanks for being interested! :)

Cat
Old May 21st, 2019, 10:09 PM   #4
Inner Circle

To submit video clips to Catherine:

Option 1:
https://wetransfer.com/upload
This would be the easiest way to transfer the video files. (Free version limited to 2GB file sizes)
Update: The sender needs the receiver's (Cat's) email address, to send the video file.

Option 2:
You can upload the video file to the UWOL Vimeo account, and then Catherine can download from there.
After this is completed, the uploaded file is then deleted from Vimeo.
Please send an email to uwol@dvinfo.net to receive the upload details.

Last edited by Trond Saetre; May 22nd, 2019 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Added option 1 and an update
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 12:48 AM   #5
Major Player

Well I could send this off albeit some background noise inc a bit of piling going on at a nearby farm:

A Skylark by the way, a well known Old World singer from the Atlantic to the Pacific.
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 05:50 AM   #6
Trustee

Cat, count me in. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 07:33 AM   #7
Trustee

Hey! Thank you!

Ron, your clip is absolutely splendid! It will grace this "quick" project beautifully.

Bob, LOL, you are traveling and on the road, but I can never count you out. It's just who you are.

Welcome you guys, we are now collaborators. I couldn't do this without you. And if by chance you weren't coming up with a film this round, I know Trond will agree, you saved yourself from the sharks. ;-)

I am waiting on a crucial participant on my end. If I can't pull that part of it together, I'm afraid our best efforts won't pan out. Here's to hoping though, as the race against the clock is well underway. If it does fall through on my end, I knew it certainly wouldn't be because of the UWOL community. You guys are great!

Cat
Old May 23rd, 2019, 09:25 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
... if by chance you weren't coming up with a film this round, I know Trond will agree, you saved yourself from the sharks. ;-)
Agreed, on the condition that Rule 11 is strictly followed ;)

Collaborate with others, is encouraged and has been done for previous challenges too.
(Of course this time, the final film will be an unofficial entry, just like mine always are.)
Old May 23rd, 2019, 10:23 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Catherine,

Sorry, would have loved to have to help out but I am away at the moment and won't be back until the 30th.

Best of luck with the concept, look forward to watching the film.

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 07:24 AM   #10
Major Player

Cat I may have some shots for you. It's part of my idea for this round if I can get the time to get it done.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 10:18 AM   #11
Trustee

Hi Gordon, Mick, Trond, Bob and Ron:

Thanks again for everything! Most importantly is no hassles on your part. I'm hanging in there, and really it's your thought that is the very most important thing of all.

So when I say crazy, I mean crazy! I'm lining up a studio shoot for Tuesday, I've shot some footage myself yesterday and will only have a few days to pull it all together. This is ridiculous, but Ron (et al) has already made it possible, and so are some other people who are key, I've lined up on my end. And honestly, I would never have considered doing this if I didn't think the theme and the idea were worth it!

You guys are fun! And who knows? Shoot for the stars and you just might catch the moon! :)

Cat

PS: Trond, are we set up for transferring files through Vimeo? I will need this as soon as possible so I can start working with Ron's footage. Cheers all!
Old May 24th, 2019, 12:07 PM   #12
Major Player

Hi Cat. Do I understand it right that you have the footage you need or are you are still looking for more.
Thanks.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 01:49 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
PS: Trond, are we set up for transferring files through Vimeo? I will need this as soon as possible so I can start working with Ron's footage. Cheers all!
Yes, our UWOL vimeo account is always available.

As stated in my earlier post, the upload details should be requested by sending an email to me at uwol@dvinfo.net. (this is same procedure as uploading for the challenges)
(Can't make that public here)

Catherine, I have sent the details to your email.
Old May 24th, 2019, 03:12 PM   #14
Trustee

Thanks Trond. I'll give things a try right now...

Okay, great! I can get on and be able to download easily. Ron, anytime you would like to upload your Skylark clip, I'm ready when you are.

Trond, thanks for making this seamless and easy to do.

Thanks all for the support, I'm really on a limb now!

Cat
Old May 25th, 2019, 03:24 AM   #15
Inner Circle

File transfer via Wetransfer can be sent to uwol@dvinfo.net.

This is probably the most convenient, and I'll forward the info to Catherine.
That way, you don't have to wait for Catherine's email.

Secondary solution is uploading to our uwol vimeo account.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge