View Full Version : Opinions please

Gerald Webb
November 18th, 2019, 07:19 PM
My PXW X160 seems to have an issue.
Just started the concert season and Im noticing it seems to have a lot more noise than on previous jobs.
Then Ive found it doing this rubbish with certain lights, see pic.
Are the sensors on the way out?

Leslie Wand
November 18th, 2019, 11:35 PM
not smoke haze ;-(

are you using gain? have you tried the -3db setting (given that there's probably not enough light anyway)?

i'm not aware of sensors failing by degree.

noise reduction in post?

Gerald Webb
November 19th, 2019, 03:56 AM
Hi Leslie,
Thanks for that.
12db on the 160 is normally very clean. Ill try 6db next show.
I did Neat video the track because it seemed dirtier than usual. I suspected that too. But that pic is from the MXF file straight from camera :(

It gets stranger though....
I went back into the project and had a more careful look. That weird green light is the only one that makes it happen.
Darker scenes with pinks and blues and even dark greens show no noise at all.
And, the dirty block noise at that time appears in the GH5 wide shot and a G7 down in front as well.

Just finished editing another concert shot the next day in another theatre with the same cameras and it has no strange things happening at all.

Im passing it off as an X File. Call Mulder and Scully. lol

Nice to hear from you though Leslie :)

Andrew Smith
November 19th, 2019, 08:52 AM
Was there something different this time with the lighting used at the venue?

Andrew

Gerald Webb
November 19th, 2019, 09:12 PM
Hey Andrew,
Not that I'm aware of.
Theatres are always changing their lights though.
I'm back there in a week for a different show so will be interesting if it happens again.
Cheers

Pete Cofrancesco
November 19th, 2019, 09:58 PM
12db gain is the upper limit for stage work. 1/3” sensor is small. the screen cap looks like I would expect. I don’t find the noise objectionable and I doubt the consumer would either.

Leslie Wand
November 20th, 2019, 07:03 PM
hi gerald,

good to read you're alive and kicking, and hopefully out of harms way with the fires....

have to agree with pete's comment above.

and really, if your client notices what you're seeing (which i doubt), simply explain that for the price they're paying they're getting a great deal - otherwise you could simply go out and buy a camera costing three times as much as your present one and charge them accordingly ;-)

tbh, i gave up 'pixel peeping' my videos years and years ago - glitches yes, pixelation yes, but 'smudgy' backgrounds... well if they're looking at them then they're missing the action ;-)

take care up there. at present, we're miles from the nearest fires, but the smoke outside would have you think otherwise....