View Full Version : UWOL 53 -Our Birdwatching Family

Mick Jenner
December 2nd, 2019, 03:25 PM
This is the story of a group of birdwatchers, many of whom have since the 1970's been sea watching at Selsey Bill the most southerly point of West Sussex. During that period they have evolved from friends into a family. Like all famlies have their differences etc but the meticulous records they keep of their sightings and that of the surrounding areas of Pagham Harbour, Medmerry and Chichester gravel pits have been instrumental in guiding planning for the area. Also they maintain a daily sightings blog that can be accessed online by all, as well as having produced a birdwatchers guidebook for the area.

This entry is a complete change of style for me and something I have never attempted before. The story is told entirely by sound bites from this birding group. Hopefully I have managed to tell a story, enjoy. Please feel free to comment accordingly

Our Birdwatching Family on Vimeo

Geir Inge
December 3rd, 2019, 07:26 AM
Hi Michael.
It looks like our videos are, in a way, comparable this round.
Just different starting point and angle.
You say it is the first time you make such a video.
I think it's great put together.
The personalities of the actors in the film come out nicely and the soundscape is great, too.
You blend it all together in a natural and excellent way.
I'm glad you made this movie, Michael and share it with us.
Friendship knows no boundaries
and family affiliation does not necessarily have to be something you are born into.
Great job, Michael.

Gordon Hoffman
December 3rd, 2019, 08:10 AM
Hi Mick. Interesting way to use the theme. The cuts back and forth at the start kind of threw me. I kind of figured what you where trying to do but had to watch it again for it to sink it. Maybe it's to early in the morning. Well put together and as usual I learn something from your videos. Thanks for sharing.

Gordon

Trond Saetre
December 6th, 2019, 06:45 AM
Hi Mick,

What a cool film! Nice to see you dared try out something new, and friendship can definitely turn into family.
I really liked the intro where it jumped back and forth between the guys. Pretty cool!

Have to agree with Gordon, I always learn something new from your films.

Well done!

Mick Jenner
December 6th, 2019, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys for all your kind comments. As I indicated its a complete change for me as up until now I've kept to the standard narration style of story telling. I also learn't a lot. I had in fact scripted the film and it was only after I had filmed the three founders I realised I had almost an hour of footage. After listening to them many times the story was there so why not let them tell it. Now the hard part cutting it all down to 4 mins and making it interesting, coherent and funny plus at the same time showing the camaraderie and putting a story across.

Would I do it again? Yes, would be better prepared and have have a list of interjections I could make during the filming so I could steer the conversation to areas that would fit close the story line. I did struggle in the edit to close the film.

As an aside the Selsey birders are happy the film and their performances! They have since shared it on their blog as well as their twitter page.

Bob Safay
December 6th, 2019, 02:40 PM
Mick, very well done. I really enjoyed the interview style that you used. I don't believe we have had to may interview style entries in the past. This one definitely worked and yes, you definitely did tell a great story. Thank you for letting us meet your family. Bob

Trond Saetre
December 6th, 2019, 03:20 PM
As an aside the Selsey birders are happy the film and their performances! They have since shared it on their blog as well as their twitter page.
That's a great proof of the quality of the film. Maybe do a follow up in the future?